NEW 28F6/T9 Glow plug recall for 04-05 TDI

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2005 Jetta 2003 Jetta 2001 Golf
Just got this in the mail today and surprised to see nothing really jumping out in the forums about it. Has anyone else got this?

It is referred to as Emissions Service Action 28F6/T9 (formerly 28E6/R8). It specifies direct correlation with ECM software and glow plugs reprogramming and replacement.

I've been going round and round here seemingly educating my local dealership over the last year on this past issue with no resolve since they are somewhat unfamiliar with the 04-05 TDI issue being that these weren't sold here new in CA.

Well, I guess I'll finally be getting this taken care of as will hopefully the rest that have been plagued with this situation.

If anyone has any experience with this new 'recall', please post your results or concerns. Thanks.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
Did you have the previous Emissions Service Action work done? I'm wondering if this is only for the cars that didn't. Those of us who got the recall done now have an extended warranty of that work. I don't think glow plugs were the reason for the original recall. I use to be able to put out a long black cloud from my car at will (such as stomping it on a freeway on-ramp). And there was always a sticky soot buildup on the bumper. These characteristics have been gone since the original emissions service action.

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not had the original action done. I was and have had to make my local dealer aware of it for the reason that I have already had a glow plug fault with the stock ceramics and while they did find one ceramic across the country to replace it with, everything that their service center says is to put the superseded steel tip glow plugs in yet obviously can't because they aren't able to reflash the ecm for the correct voltage until now.......again.
It appears that you haven't but many have had significant problems with the old action being completed on their cars. This will finally put me into steel glow plugs, possibly change my injectors and hopefully a flash that will keep everything to a current standard.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I received mine today also and I never had the original 28E6/R8 performed, which the letter states is now closed. The new 28F6/T9 states, "Check/Replace Glow Plugs and Update Engine Control Module (ECM) Software." There was some discussion on this latest recall in another thread.

JETMECH1

TDI
05 Jetta, 2012 Sportwagen
Received my recall today, I called the Dealer in Durham, NC. I'm having it looked at Thursday. I'll let you know the results.

pkap

TDI
2004 jetta
Not if it's chipped

Note: It doesn't cover vehicles that have been chipped,tuned,or modified!:mad:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Wait, so is my PD now under the recall? It has never had the previous recall done. I did not receive any letters(yet).

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
Found this in the Passat forum:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/4848/GP_recall_redacted.pdf

I haven't received a copy of this either, but looking at it and the similarity to the previous recall (which included the steel plugs), I'm guessing I won't get one since the issue is software-caused emissions which I got fixed with the first recall. I do have the extended warranty letter though.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
Nope, if you did not have the original done, you are SOL. As am I... They checked the service history of my car, said no recall, no action.
The wording of the letter I linked to above seems to imply that it is for cars that didn't get the first Emissions Service Action completed. It is a brand new recall.

This is different from the extended warranty letter that I got for no/hard starts related to the first recall.

maketoast

TDI
2004 Wheat Beige PD TDI
I just got this today too. I never had the original recall done on the car, so i guess this effectively replaces the old 28E6/R8 recall.

I'm kinda excited that they now have a new recall for us-- free glowplugs! right? At 126k, that's kinda nice.
My concerns are...
1. They could end up breaking to original ceramics in the motor and then not want to fix their mistake.
2. The car starts OK now, even at -3F (like today!) plugs only come on for a few seconds, car smokes a decent amount and runs rough, but hey it starts.
3. The recall doesnt specifically say that they will replace the plugs. "inspect and if necessary..."
4. The dealers in this area have a bad reputation :(

maketoast

TDI
2004 Wheat Beige PD TDI
Nope, if you did not have the original done, you are SOL. As am I... They checked the service history of my car, said no recall, no action.
I did not have the original done. I believe this letter is for anyone who is still running the original ceramic plugs. You should get a letter soon, I would think.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
How do they know who to send the letters to? To the current owner listed on the VIN?

I am trying to figure out if I am going to get the letter or not.

I would also like to know what exact parts they are replacing.

maketoast

TDI
2004 Wheat Beige PD TDI
How do they know who to send the letters to? To the current owner listed on the VIN?
I'm assuming so. I bought my TDI pre-owned from a private seller back in June and updated myself as the current owner by mailing or calling VW, I cant remember which.

I would also like to know what exact parts they are replacing.
I guess someone will have to have it done and report back...

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
My concerns are...
1. They could end up breaking to original ceramics in the motor and then not want to fix their mistake.
Yes they could, in fact that happened to me. Eventually they replaced the head, one piston, and all rings/rod bearings. But it was a major battle.

I would spend some time talking to both the service manager and the technician that does the work, explain to them very clearly about the history of broken bosch ceramic tips, and DEMAND that they show you four complete original glowplugs. Because this is a VW sponsored recall, they'd probably get reimbursed by VW for the cost of removing the head to retrieve a broken plug.

maketoast

TDI
2004 Wheat Beige PD TDI
Yes they could, in fact that happened to me. Eventually they replaced the head, one piston, and all rings/rod bearings. But it was a major battle.
Ugh... and with the poor reputation the dealers already have, that makes me nervous.

How long did it take you to have them fix it, and what actions did you have to resort to? Did you have to get legal representation?

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
I'm assuming so. I bought my TDI pre-owned from a private seller back in June and updated myself as the current owner by mailing or calling VW, I cant remember which.

I guess someone will have to have it done and report back...

I'm in the same boat...bought our 04 Last summer...and it's a TOTAL B*TCH to start under 20 degrees... MAYBE ONE glow plug is working.... will start after a few tries...

ZERO issues above 40 degrees...

WHERE would I go to update the owner info??

thanks guys!

Just spent $240 in tows today because of fuel gelling!! :mad::mad:

73veedubya

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS 5 Speed
i got this same letter in the mail today also. gonna give the dealer a call tomarrow to see if what it says is true....i too have never had teh previous recall done so maybe this is because too many have had the problems

Celerity

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT; 2004 Golf 09A (sold)
Yep, got mine today too, never had the original recall done. Since I already replaced the plugs myself last month, I'm gonna schedule the service and then swap back in the originals right before I take it in, and keep the plugs I bought as spares for the future.

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
For all those that haven't received a letter yet, I would say wait a few days and if not, bring it up to your dealer. This recall is for all PD BEW models that have not had the previous action applied. If you fall into this category, you should have no problem getting it done. Mine is scheduled for the 31st and I'll post the results of what is exactly done. Glad to hear others are getting notified.

halzg

TDI
Jetta 2004 gray
I too received a letter yesterday. I never had the first recall service done. Given the reports of problems, and the problems I've had with another recall (the M6 EGR cooler), I'm planning to wait and see for a while on this one.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just got my letter too. I have two concerns:

One is that the letter mentions nothing about replacing the glow plug relay. Is the one the car came with appropriate (the previous "warranty extension" for the glow plugs replaced the glow plug relay with a "D" part number suffix relay; and the cars had the "C" relay installed)?

Also, at the bottom of the letter there is an "IMPORTANT" note stating that for cars that have the ECU tuned, the cost of returning the ECU to stock programming will not be covered:confused:. Will they charge a fee for "chipped" cars? The ECU coding is simply written over in all cases, cars with tunes and cars without. I AM familiar with VW having the owner signing a waiver releasing VW of the liability from wiping out your tune, if your car was "tuned". But charging extra for a tuned car?

I am still planning on passing this one up. I have several reasons for this. Two big ones are because I do not want to loose my tune and VW attempts to do other recalls at the same time, of which they will have a VERY difficult time replacing my EGR cooler, since its long gone.

If I ever need a GP replacement after I use my spare Bosch "01" ceramics, then I'll drop in the NGK '09s as needed. I just do not think the ceramics breaking is widespread, if installed properly. If they do break, its usually on removal and I am planning on removing the cylinder head if this happens to me. But i'd rather not risk removing them if I can avoid it. According to Bosch, the ceramics were designed to last the life of the engine (I know, some have burned out, though).

--Nate

Last edited:

TDIdragon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD Manual
This is the same letter that I received.I walked into the office this morning with this recall on my desk.

I have not had the previous recall performed on my completely stock vehicle as she runs like a top in all conditions. This "update" is tempting as I would love the ceramics to be gone in case the glow plugs have to be removed at any point (like when I decide to finally start modifying my vehicle). My problem is that I am one of those people that have not had good luck with the VW service departments. Has anyone had this recall performed?

Last edited:

matTDIesel

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG 05 Golf TDI GLS Auto
Received my letter yesterday, never had the original recall done and I have not had any real issues with my car starting up besides maybe a smoke cloud when it is really cold. Started up fine yesterday and it was below zero. Guess I will get this one done, car is at 112k right now.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got my letter. It states that they will inspect/replace glow plugs and re flash the ECM. No glow plug relay replacement or injector replacement(thank God!).

I already installed the NGK 09 glow plugs. So I am hoping they can simply reflash my ECU and leave everything else alone.

What is interesting is with the letter they sent my a Reimbursement Form. Maybe they will reimburse me me for the NGK glow plugs(they cost $50)

I am going to get into contact with VW and see what they say.

I think we finally can put this PD glow plug fiasco to rest after this.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I was on the phone with my stealer and they pretty much are clueless and useless. They told me that I would have to drop off the car as it will take a long time.

Total BS, all they need to do is reflash the ECU.

I think I will wait this one out for now, and see how the NGK glow plugs hold up on the stock tuning. I do not want the dealership to tooef my car up.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Well, I was on the phone with my stealer and they pretty much are clueless and useless. They told me that I would have to drop off the car as it will take a long time. Total BS, all they need to do is reflash the ECU."

It is not BS (they are not kidding you), it WILL take them a long time! They will first keep your car untill they finally get the update programming from VW!

I am opting out myself.

--Nate

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My letter has already been filed away along with all the others. When they say update software, I guess that refers to a reflash and nothing more. The smart relay would not be considered part of the software, or would it?

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
I will have mine done Tuesday 2/1/11 if I don't go out of town. I don't trust them but I really don't care. The car sits nice and warm in my garage all winter. If they bust it they bought it! I know them well and they no me well! I am the only person that has wrenched on my car except for my homeboy Jamie who used to work there.
However, if they snap a plug, NEW HEAD! Just got off the phone with service manager and he confirmed.

For those who are not sure I will be the guinea pig. I have seen many of the ceramic plugs and they snap kinda easy(the ceramic part) so I wouldn't wait to long! Cause YOU will be SOL then!:eek: