Brake+ABS light & 3 Beeps

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I just want to share this in case it helps someone. I've been parking in an underground garage for 1 year now. It's great, but very humid(and warm) because it's below ground.

Over the past 6 months, I've noticed my interior lights no coming on when opening the car door. As I had already replaced the lock, I knew it wasn't the micro switch.

Also, when I wold start and drive the car, it would go away.

at the same time, I started getting a random ABS light associated with the Brake Pressure Switch being intermittent.

I am now convinced all my electrical issues are related to parking in such a humid environment. So I ended up replacing one of my two ABS/ESP sensors which helped. But I also replaced the ABS fuse and sprayed it with Deoxit. Fuse 9.

I also opened up the CCM and sprayed the circuit board.

Now I keep a damprid container under the passenger's side seat to try and combat the extra humidity and park the car on the upper levels. Lowest levels have standing water that doesn't drain.

I did spray the blade fuses on top of the battery.

Everything I've done has helped. Lights come on and no more random ABS light

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Was having the same ABS light and three beeps at start-up somewhat regularly. Pulled the battery and battery box and cleaned the three grounds beneath it. The one on the far right (the one I almost didn't do because it was on the far right) had a good bit of corrosion. Coated it all in petroleum jelly like the thread says to do.

Haven't had the ABS / beeping issue in about a month now.

Correlation or causation? Certainly didn't hurt to have a cleaner ground connection and I checked my snow screen while I was in the area...

JoeK_TDI

TDI
Thanks for the feedback. 2 days ago, I pulled the battery while in the parkade at work (dry place), and cleaned and re-dielectric lithium greased the 3 terminals under the battery. Did that 5 years ago and I could perceive no degrade in condition to the terminals, but it didn't hurt to try.

Car started great but by the time I got to the security gate (1 floor up), the ABS warning sensor went off - again. Had a couple of problems starting the car as well - have to play with the starter switch and the clutch and it eventually gets the electrical signal and catches.

Last night, while trying to start the car (starter solenoid isn't getting the power?), I had a relay 'clicking' from behind the dash (not enough voltage?) every time I tried to start. Eventually an electrical contact was made and the car starts 100% strong.

This morning on the way to work, I lost the low beam headlights. Thank god that I leave very early so there was only minor traffic on the roads. Made it 'in' using the high beams or just the marker lights. Low beams are now not working.

Maybe a relay? I think I have no choice but to take it into the dealer and have them diagnose it. From an inconvenience its turning into a safety issue.

Last edited:

dowster

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH 5spd
This seems like one of those issues where there are about a zillion causes. I had this happen to me the past few weeks. Turns out my alternator fuse was blown just enough so that it would still barely make contact.

Symptoms:
1. Would only happen when starting after not driving car for a few days.
2. I'd say it happened about 8/10 times condition 1 was met.
3. I replaced the fuse last Wednesday before thanksgiving and did do driving over the weekend. Didn't have any issue.

Other issues I've recently had:
1. Wire going to my sub had become very degraded. Most likely due to my shoddy install and the fact that the connection to the fuse appeared to be "not the best." This kept moving around and probably arcing within the connector. Subs would cut out. When I finally got the chance to look at it I was able to pull the wire right out of the connector. Was very hot.
2. Obviously, battery was not fully charged after alternator fuse blew. Before I found that I ended up in the parking lot with no headlights and the engine missing every other stroke.

Suggestions:
1. Try and get an amp clamp on the main power line while the car is running and not running, see if there's any excessive current (maybe someone can chime in with what normal draw is while car is off/on).
2. Wiggle every wire you can, that's how I found the subwoofer issue. I was originally diagnosing why my starter wasn't even attempting to engage (wire had pulled out of the plug that engages the solenoid).

This is probably an information overload but I'd rather put too much into the post than have a "well my uncle did this ten years ago and that fixed the issue".

JohnSmith

TDI
alh
Thanks for the feedback. 2 days ago, I pulled the battery while in the parkade at work (dry place), and cleaned and re-dielectric lithium greased the 3 terminals under the battery. Did that 5 years ago and I could perceive no degrade in condition to the terminals, but it didn't hurt to try.

Car started great but by the time I got to the security gate (1 floor up), the ABS warning sensor went off - again. Had a couple of problems starting the car as well - have to play with the starter switch and the clutch and it eventually gets the electrical signal and catches.

Last night, while trying to start the car (starter solenoid isn't getting the power?), I had a relay 'clicking' from behind the dash (not enough voltage?) every time I tried to start. Eventually an electrical contact was made and the car starts 100% strong.

This morning on the way to work, I lost the low beam headlights. Thank god that I leave very early so there was only minor traffic on the roads. Made it 'in' using the high beams or just the marker lights. Low beams are now not working.

Maybe a relay? I think I have no choice but to take it into the dealer and have them diagnose it. From an inconvenience its turning into a safety issue.

No I never found out what casue the problem. It just went alway on it own.Your probably having the same exact problems I been having. Theres a thread in that I started posting detailed problems with the car.

I tried cleaning grounds,load test,battery test,checked fuse and wires and alternator checked. Nothing apppears to be wrong. Did the dealership diagnosis your problem?

cdc

TDI
2000 new Beetle, 2001 Jetta
I have 03 Jetta wagon with AT and 120K and with all the core problems listed throughout this thread. Have cleaned the contacts under the battery before and still have the problems. Without any money to throw at this we have been jiggling the fuse box on top the battery and the car starts. I have gotten it down to just moving the box about a 1/2 inch front to back; close the hood and it starts. Gotten to where we have to do this almost every start warm or cold.
All the fuses look like new, if it were corrosion on the connections under the battery it seems like our little starting "technique" wouldn't work. I have read about the OEM alt wire causing meltdown in that box. So far that has not happened but I am very concerned about safety at this point as we just started experiencing the thing die completely while running in gear. I am seriously wondering what the value of the car is "as is" without seeing a clear and definitive fix on this in the time since this thread began.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Without any money to throw at this we have been jiggling the fuse box on top the battery and the car starts

You just need to r+r the fuse box. New ones are pricey, car-part.com should have them.
But you can just take it apart, renew contacts or wire as needed. Got to be some serious corrosion in there. Or something loose.

cdc

TDI
2000 new Beetle, 2001 Jetta
Thanks, I will look at the new box at car-part.com, though the inside of the existing box and the fuses/contacts look like new. So possibly a loose/bad wire.

Thanks again!

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
Lots of 02 model owners have this issue. My question is: if you replace the ABS module and pump, is buying a used one OK? Why do some sellers say it only works with models that are without traction control? Is this anti-skid? I thought all VW 2002 models had both ASB and antiskid? Can i buy one that has no anti-skid?

JohnSmith

TDI
alh
No I never found out what casue the problem. It just went alway on it own.Your probably having the same exact problems I been having. Theres a thread in that I started posting detailed problems with the car.

I tried cleaning grounds,load test,battery test,checked fuse and wires and alternator checked. Nothing apppears to be wrong. Did the dealership diagnosis your problem?

My electrical gremlin came back :confused: Still havent found the core problem. Now starting to miss/shut down ask I try accelerate.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
ABS and burning fuse box

My 2002 Jetta TDI auto has burned two fuse boxes. It all started by battery getting drained or weak overnight. Once while driving, I saw smoke coming out of hood and the alternator lite illuminated on the dashboard. Replaced the box buying one from Ebay (as dealer's was expensive) and that worked for some months. However, the battery would still get weak overnight but will get fully charged after driving. The second box got burnt in similar way. This time I replaced the fuse box along with alternator harness and starter. I noted that the alternator wire would get hot so I just replace that. Also the starter was acting, it would engage but sometime make noise why disengaging (bought remanufactured starter from PepBoys for about $90). It is now over six month and the problem has not surfaced. Moreover, the battery does not get drained overnight. You can order the complete fuse box thru Walmart.com. It is a Dorman brand, part number 924-680, and sell for $29.78 (same one at Autozone is about $50-60). Dorman is a well known auto parts supplier. As to ABS lite and the buzzer, I have no clue, although my car has now started experiencing this problem off and on. It will become an issue when the car wan't start. Nor anyone has provided a credible solution on this (ABS) issue.

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
I had this on my 2006, and currently on my 2002 - the 2006 issue was a cracked main vacuum going to the master cylinder. was intermittent at 1st but as the leak progressed -I guess- the lights and beeping were more frequent. has been resolved since I replaced the vacuum line. phoenix will dry out anything.. My 2002 had the same issue and it occurred to me that I had, in both cases been messing with the engine/trans with the dogbone off and that could have caused my vacuum hoses to crack as well.

BUT, the 2002 has had the issue return -Think it's because I took the car and power washed the engine compartment - So I probably have a grounding issue somewhere I need to go chase - Yea..

JohnSmith

TDI
alh
Still cant find the electrical gremlin on this car. I tried pulling the abs fuse and the lights still blinks/beeps. Anyone ever find out the root cause of this problem? Searching on the internet theres bunch of ppl with this problem with no answers

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I had this problem and I replaced headlights and battery and cleaned the grounds with deoxit and it hasn't done it since. I just unplugged my battery today and when clamping it back down I tried to tighten it and it still spins on the post. Now I'm back to flickering lights with windows rolling up or down. I think touching wires or bad connections or grounds can all cause the problem. The battery cables are what I'd like to replace next even though they have no corrosion. The terminal clamps just seem weak from use.

JohnSmith

TDI
alh
Replaced my battery and cleaned grounds already. Sometime i get a clicking sound from the relays under the dash. Im thinking its the bad battery?

ICTDI

TDI
JETTA - 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2.0T DSG
Fixed: ABS Light and Beeps only at start of day... no long term code

I read posts on TDIClub and decided to remove battery and check-out the ground connections below the battery.

1. Visually, these ground connections looked good, but I cracked them both open and re-snugged them... metal was clean.

2. When I reinstalled the battery, I used a battery terminal and connector cleaning brush and reconnected everything. Battery terminals all looked good visually also.

I am totally surprised, and thoroughly amazed, that I have not received ABS warning or code since then. Crazy! I had read here, and figured the error was front brake pad sensor related... but checking the ground connections were/was easier to try first and following steps 1 and 2, it worked for me.

Good Luck.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good Work! And this is why we often recommend checking grounds and big wire connects for various problems.