Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hey no problem I only buy what I want but I think there is a great value to the buyback if I can apply it to a PHEV as in Ontario it's somewhere between 8 and 14 thousand rebate on top of the $5100, FMV tax return and a reasonable buyback seems the way to go but I am not sold yet if I can't make the deal I want the money can sit in the bank until I want it or I may drive the TDi until 2018 which if no problems arise is the best value for money just don't know if the PHEV grant will still be around by then so as usual take the deal which mostly appeals to you.
Trading in for a PHEV will leave you with the Audi A3 eTron or EGolf (whenever it comes out) as your two options though.

Lister

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Z4, 2007 Audi A3 RIP, 2013 Jetta Dirty Diesel, 2013 BMW 328i
Hey no problem I only buy what I want but I think there is a great value to the buyback if I can apply it to a PHEV as in Ontario it's somewhere between 8 and 14 thousand rebate on top of the $5100, FMV tax return and a reasonable buyback seems the way to go but I am not sold yet if I can't make the deal I want the money can sit in the bank until I want it or I may drive the TDi until 2018 which if no problems arise is the best value for money just don't know if the PHEV grant will still be around by then so as usual take the deal which mostly appeals to you.
I totally agree with the the tax savings, but it seems to me that timing will have to be in everyone's favor to get the tax savings, and the car that you want, not the one you have to settle for.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Raided law firm hired by VW to investigate their own fraud .... LOL .... sorry, who would have actually expected that the law firm would really want to get to the bottom of it?

As I say often, the moment they start making buyback offers (hopefully soon ...), take your money and happily run. Because who the heck knows what will happen with VW or the settlement program in years to come.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Raided law firm hired by VW to investigate their own fraud .... LOL .... sorry, who would have actually expected that the law firm would really want to get to the bottom of it?

As I say often, the moment they start making buyback offers (hopefully soon ...), take your money and happily run. Because who the heck knows what will happen with VW or the settlement program in years to come.
Yes this is a compelling reason to act asap and not try to wait till 2018. Things can change especially when government is involved.

cuestalf

TDI
2012 GSW TDI 2.0L
Involment

I always thought, in Canada, the government is not involved, at least directly. It is between VW and Layers representing them self, oops, sorry, representing TDI owners.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
I always thought, in Canada, the government is not involved, at least directly. It is between VW and Layers representing them self, oops, sorry, representing TDI owners.
The article is talking about the German government raid of the law offices that were looking into the Dieselgate affair in Germany.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
on the face this is true but we only have standing to have our case heard because the government has created and enforced a law which enables these rights. If standards change or are reinterpreted then the reason to allow standing is dismissed.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Can we take a 2015 Jetta to an Audi dealer for the phase 2 hardware fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guess is no, each brand will most likely train the technicians to do their own brand only. but as far as trade in, Surrender (in case one is much closer to you than the other) I would guess is yes. As long as you stay within the Parent Company (VW) brand.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
My guess is no, each brand will most likely train the technicians to do their own brand only. but as far as trade in, Surrender (in case one is much closer to you than the other) I would guess is yes. As long as you stay within the Parent Company (VW) brand.
Well I used Pfaff and they have both Audi & VW so for them to say yes was pretty easy they just call next door. Whoever does it will have to have the authority to release the fix or destroy levelled by the province as all these vehicles have been logged to a data base for when the time comes the licensing office can determine if the repairs have been made even tho they always passed the emission control test in Ontario.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Hi there. So I have been quite detached and not following this very closely (at all).
I'm quite bummed I have to possibly get rid of my vehicle by accepting the buyback + money. I have read some reports where the 2015 stage 1 fix isn't all that good. What is the consensus on the 2105 stage 1 fix?
I don't want any of the current performance or economy to suffer.
I am also nervous about keeping the vehicle cause I am not sure what VW TDI resale will be after all this?
Bummed, love my car, and have no clue whatsoever what I would replace it with. Torn.
Can some also let me know do we need to do the stage one fix? Or is it completely optional at this point? I am probably leaning towards buyback + money unfortunately. Cheers!

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi there. So I have been quite detached and not following this very closely (at all).
I'm quite bummed I have to possibly get rid of my vehicle by accepting the buyback + money. I have read some reports where the 2015 stage 1 fix isn't all that good. What is the consensus on the 2105 stage 1 fix?
I don't want any of the current performance or economy to suffer.
I am also nervous about keeping the vehicle cause I am not sure what VW TDI resale will be after all this?
Bummed, love my car, and have no clue whatsoever what I would replace it with. Torn.
Can some also let me know do we need to do the stage one fix? Or is it completely optional at this point? I am probably leaning towards buyback + money unfortunately. Cheers!
Not sure where you read those reports. Americans, who got the stage 1 done first, seem to be quite happy so far.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473022

Last edited:

Geekydaddy

TDI
2014 Jetta
Received this email from my dealership on March 13th. So glad they're on top of it

DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN SENT TO YOU, YOUR VEHICLE MAY NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE CLASS ACTION REGARDING 2.0L TDI VEHICLES. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PERTAINS TO CERTAIN DIESEL VEHICLES ONLY. IF YOU ARE THE OWNER OR LESSEE OF A VOLKSWAGEN GAS VEHICLE, THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF YOU ARE THE OWNER OR LESSEE OF A VOLKSWAGEN DIESEL THIS MAY PERTAIN TO YOU. TO CHECK IF YOUR VEHICLE IS ELIGIBLE, PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW AND CLICK ON 'CHECK MY ELIGIBILITY' IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER, THEN CLICK 'VEHICLE LOOKUP.'
To Our Valued Customers,
Volkswagen Canada is in the process of reaching a final settlement regarding the Class Action concerning 2.0L TDI Diesel Emissions. The purpose of this email is to make you aware of your rights and options as an owner or lessee of an eligible 2.0L Diesel vehicle. Please see below for a copy of the informative postcard with additional information.
For all questions and concerns, please visit
www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca or call 1-888-670-4773. Please visit the website where you can Sign Up for Updates to keep informed of all Settlement updates and pertinent information.

- Your team at #@*&%$ Volkswagen

Last edited:

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Not sure where you read those reports. Americans, who got the stage 1 done first, seem to be quite happy so far.

My mileage seems on par if not better. Might be attributed to warmer weather but this tank of diesel on stage 1 fix has resulted in 1000km driven at 140km/hr. faaast yes but I often get pushed by faaaaster cars on the 400.

My idea about Audi dealer doing stage 2 fix:

Less busy shop
Better trained techs (maybe)
Audi car for the day while they do the fix

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
That's you blocking the fast lane on the 400? I'm a Barrie to Tor commuter as well tearin' that hwy up in my silver Passat with tints. 400 rocks until hwy 7 and the cidiots drivers show up.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
I still can't get an answer as to why 2014 Golf's are not on the list. ???
Maybe they were not fitted with the emission defeat software, same as the 2014 A3s? Have you called their 1-800 number?

I assume that's why they have that long list of excluded VINs in Schedule C.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

It seems to be a consensus, incl. Europe, that stage 1 is only disliked by environmentalist who claim, that VW got approval without really meeting the original emissions obligation set out by law for all. It seems that some of the green organizations in Germany are considering now to sue the German government who gave VW essentially a pass agreeing to much lower standard the cars will have to meet, even if all fixes are installed. Actually, it makes sense since the owners do not see any negative effects they care most about ... lower power and/or higher consumption of fuel or adblue.

This **** show will never end ...

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
That's you blocking the fast lane on the 400? I'm a Barrie to Tor commuter as well tearin' that hwy up in my silver Passat with tints. 400 rocks until hwy 7 and the idiot drivers show up.

No I'm not the one in lane 1....more like lane 3. Aka the slow lane. I travel at off peak hours.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Actually, it makes sense since the owners do not see any negative effects they care most about ... lower power and/or higher consumption of fuel or adblue.
Going in this morning to have the Stage 1 done on our GSW MT.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
Hearing in Montreal tomorrow at 10 AM. Anyone attending? I guess they'll keep it all quiet and won't disclose anything after the hearing in Toronto next week.