PF03 PolarFis info, comparison, and use.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://www.auto-polar.com/

there are a few threads on model-specific applications. hope this can be a useful thread for users of PF03 on CR TDIs overall.

I picked up a PF03 as part of a recent group buy. DieselDubs83 is selling these last I checked. You can check with him for pricing and supply.

the device plugs into the data bus, and uses the built in display on the instrument panel to display additional info not programmed in by VW, but somewhat useful or interesting.

I have a cable VCDS, which is great, but not good for everyday driving.

Also have a scangauge II, which displays a good set of standard OBD readings, and lets you specify a few additional ones on the CAN buss. shows four at a time.

There are plenty of smart phone interfaces to wireless dongles which display a similar set of CAN buss readings.

My scangauge was set up to show coolant temp, a custom exhaust temp to indicate DPF regens, Volts, and Gallons per hour. Learned quite a bit just with these readings.

VCDS with the logging function, and ability to look at multiple readings over time, was great for more involved observation and understanding, and provides the richest set of data available (as far as I know)

I was a little disappointed that the PF03 recommends turning off the PF03 while using another OBD access tool. I verified that having the scangauge connected does interfere with some PF03 readings. (some worked just fine, but some parameters would not display, or would not update readings) Would have been nice to have the PF03 provide additional readings, instead of a substitute for another display method.

The PF03 interface is a little clunky, limited to the interface provided for factory Multifunction Display(MFD) for my '09, input is using buttons on the washer stalk. (steering wheel controls are on other cars)

I can use the stalk up/down button to clock between PF screens, but to get back to standard MFD info, have to hold the down button for five seconds or so, and move/click through the MFD setup menu to get the standard MFD info.

The display shows name-value pairs (coolant 193 degrees f) for example.

and you can specify how many readings are displayed on the screen (2-6), how many screens (up to ten) and which readings are on which screen.

I find that the font size from four readings on a screen is about what I can see without glasses driving, six is ok, but a little fuzzy for me without reading glasses.

I am still working on combinations of display info, and sorting through useful combinations.

If you have a PF03, what readings are you looking at, and what does this tell you?

thanks

Last edited:

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Meershm,
From my reading, this is a read-only tool, yes?
Are the displays graphical or strictly textual?
Have someone locally willing to demo theirs, but I'd like to get a feel for it beforehand.
frank

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
that someone is me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uo1y-cybmhY

and a few others give you an idea.

mine is in a red dot display, so less resolution than the one in your car.

you can tweek a few things with it, and the readouts are textual, with a couple different options. (if you set up for fewer readings per screen the text font is bigger, for example.)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone have good info on what the DPF status codes are?

I noticed mine showing FF10 a couple times on the way to work. then back to the FF01.

I know FF02 is during an active regen.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Anyone have good info on what the DPF status codes are?

I noticed mine showing FF10 a couple times on the way to work. then back to the FF01.

I know FF02 is during an active regen.
Are you taking the reading from VCDS?

On a side note. My last regen didn't happen until around 380 miles this was mostly this was highway miles.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have it on the PF03

I am guessing it is some pre-check of conditions for a regen. seemed to come on for a sample cycle of couple seconds or so.

Logging with the VCDS could provide some context. a little hard to catch a reading that only happens once in a while. don't want to stare at the MFD to the cost of road awareness.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Found this http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=400552 from last year
DPF status;
0 - No DPF regeneration is necessary.
1 - Indicates the ongoing regeneration (with high exhaust temperatures). During this phase, the soot loading begin to degrade.
2 - Shows an active heating (exhaust temperatures are raised.
10 - Indicate that a DPF regeneration is requested.
Once a regeneration finish, the value will be reset to 0.
I looked in VCDS and only found a NOX regen status.

Group 104: NOx regen
0xFF01 0xFF02=Done
0xFF21 Hex Value
00000000 Bin. Bits
00000000 Bin. Bits

it could be that we need a little translation from the spanish/german.

Could be that FF01 indicates passive regeneration, and FF02 is active regeneration.

This morning as it was still warming up, status was FF40 for five minutes or so, with a couple excursions into FF10, back to FF40, then FF01 for the rest of the drive.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
http://www.auto-polar.com/
I was a little disappointed that the PF03 recommends turning off the PF03 while using another OBD access tool. I verified that having the scangauge connected does interfere with some PF03 readings. (some worked just fine, but some parameters would not display, or would not update readings) Would have been nice to have the PF03 provide additional readings, instead of a substitute for another display method.
The PF03 interface is a little clunky, limited to the interface provided for factory Multifunction Display(MFD) for my '09, input is using buttons on the washer stalk. (steering wheel controls are on other cars)
Anytime something is connected to the OBDII port, you just have to accept its limitations. One at a time. Can't run your VCDS cable while the Scan Gauge is in right? A Split Dongle wouldn't fix this either, so the PF03 can't.

I don't think the fault of the clunkityclunk goes to the PF03 but more so to your 09's red dot display. On my 2011's white dot fis, I think the MFD display is quick, and displays legible readings. I've seen the red dot and the PF03 does kinda do it's best with it's format. If it could line up the display like the white dot, I think you'd be much more happy (but it can't). Also cycling from the PF03 to other displays is easier with our steering wheel controls vs your use of the stalk. Buy a 2010+!

I use
boost
Regen Req 1.0 (reset) 2.0 (regen still some time away) 3.0 (regen is comin) 4.0 (regen active)
DPF *F In (1000*F+ regen active)
EGT *F

on another page I cycle sometimes

Regen Req (not dpf status sorry)
dpf *F in
soot mg
dpf ash load

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So your DPF status does not read "FF01" but "1.0" ?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
edited my post. DPF status acts the same way you mentioned. FF01, FF10 sometimes, etc. I don't like it for that reason,

I use Request Regen (whatever it is) to keep it simple. I've stared at enough gauges in my other wagon that I wanted the integrated styling and give myself less things to distract me from the road (had SG2 also). PF03 keeps it lookin stock.

The wife drives this wagon, so I can tell her. before you shut down, make sure the DPF temp isnt 1000F and the requested regen isn't 4.0. No equations or calculations needed.

Simple for the person who doesn't care about the DPF or Turbo like me =)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My requested regen does not kick off a regen at 4.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone have a list of PF03 readings mapped against VCDS MB?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
New update 4.7. Added 2 new parameters:
- Generator load (%)
- Alternator power (Wat.)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cool

that would make a nice screen with volts, and outside temp, and coolant temp perhaps.

(for those cold mornings)

I watched exhaust temps, pre-turbo, DPF in, and DPF out. seems like the DPF in is a little slow reacting. (perhaps it just gets full of soot)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yesterday had a long drive.

Friday I got home just as a regen was getting started, I just turned it off.

Saturday, dpf regen started before the coolant needle even started to move .

DPF status was FF02 for a while, and then the miles since regen reset to 0

but the high exhaust/dpf temperatures continued high readings.

FF20 was the indicated status for another 18 miles, with the higher temps.

After a close look at the 2.0 SSG, (starting around page 69) I suspect this is a DeSOx regeneration.

So now, my working guess as to what the DPF status reading values indicate, is as follows:

DPF Status (aka Engine controller MB group 104 field 0 in VCDS)

FF01 Passive DPF regeneration
FF10 NOx regeneration
FF02 DPF Active Regeneration
FF20 DeSOx Mode

anyone have some specific suggestions for VCDS readings to further validate these modes?

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Hey mike. I changed my mind about REQ. I've been using DPF Status like you now . But also keep on the screen both soot m gr / !soot m gr and watch it reach about 16-17 grams and then watch it cook off to 3-3.6 grams

I have a SG2 that I don't use, but I saw the thread that states a load% which I appreciate. Gives you a better idea of when that NOX regen will happen vs guessing if it's a. 15.8 gr or a 16.6 gr type of day. I'd use that and stop watching dpf status/soot gr and temp all for that one.... But that sg2 is not integrated ;(

Dpf *f in
Dpf status
!Soot m gr.
Soot m gr.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cool

my combo is:
DPF status
DPF pressure
!soot
soot

also have a couple alternate screens, including

temp after turbo
temp before dpf
temp after dpf
dpf status

and

outside temp
intake temp
coolant temp
temp after turbo

I saw the FF40 again, seemed to be in the time between a FF20 SOX long duration elevated temp regen and the next FF02 DPF regen. happened in traffic, so I did not have a chance to look for temps or pressure readings.

on a lighter note, seems like my tailpipe is a bit sooty (which means a cracked DPF), so I am shopping for a take-off cat and DPF from a 2010 or later. there are rebuilt DPF/DOC units under $1k around, but the NOX storage cat (SCR) seems to be only in the new variety.

too bad that the SGII cannot run at the same time as the PF03.

Last edited: