2.5 tdi AKE with low power

Erik_Nor

TDI
Allroad-01 2.5 AKE
Hi
I have now tried the local forums and the local Audi dealer without any luck, and I sincerely hopes that someone on this forum can be so kind to give me some hints on what is wrong with my car.

I have a Audi Allroad 2001 with the 2.5 tdi AKE engine. The problem started after I changed the camshafts because of wear. After this the engine lost some of the power at high end, and the torque at low rpm was also reduced. The most obvious proof I have found showing lack of power is that the Actual MAF reduces with increase of RPM as shown in graph below. MAP seems to be OK. I do not have any fault codes.

The picture show the pedal flat out in 1. 2. and 3. gear.

At the same time I changed the injector with the needle lift sensor. I suspected the timing of the camsafts was wrong, but after a short period of time the timing belt pulley on one of the camshafts collapsed resulting in bent valves and more. I upgraded to "new" cylinder heads that was taken from a BAU engine. This is the type using roller rocking arms. The heads and valves where cleaned for sot, and grinding paste was used in the end. At this time I was extra careful to get the timing correct. But the result was the same. Still lacking power.

What I have tried out so fare is:
x) Changed the MAF - engine got better but still lacking power.
x) Changed the catalytic convert since I thought the engine could not breath enough. I also cleaned the intakes for sot the first time, so I suspected loose sot could have entered the engine and clogged the convert. But no changes after replacement.
x) Changed the diesel filter - no difference.
x) Blocked of the EGR to eliminate the possibility of constant open EGR valve - no difference.
x) Checked the N75 valve - is ok.
x) Checked the VNT valve on the turbo - is ok.
x) Checked for leaks on the low pressure side of the intake tubes - no leaks.
x) Checked without the air filter - no difference.
x) Double checked the tensioner for the diesel pump belt - is as specified.

So I am close to give up here, but my thoughts have gone the diesel pump or injector. I did not use lot of time to bleed out the air and get the engine to start, but could a already "weak" pump get to much stress starting the engine up? For me it seems that the engine is not getting the diesel amount it require. The engine is a little bit rough cold, but I do not remember if it was the same before. After a couple of minutes it runs smooth. It is always very easy to start.

Last edited:

dccampa

TDI
AUDI TDI 2.5 AKE
Hi.
As you do not have any fault codes, you should check the pump and of course evaluate very well your BAU head is fully compatible with AKE needs.
Have you checked the timing of the injection start point? If wrong you sould have a 00550 error code. But maybe it is near the correct value but not fully optimized. Do you know the value of injection start point you should have for this AKE?

Erik_Nor

TDI
Allroad-01 2.5 AKE
Hi.
As you do not have any fault codes, you should check the pump and of course evaluate very well your BAU head is fully compatible with AKE needs.
Have you checked the timing of the injection start point? If wrong you sould have a 00550 error code. But maybe it is near the correct value but not fully optimized. Do you know the value of injection start point you should have for this AKE?
Thanks for the reply!

In the part catalogue for audi, both engine codes (AKE and BAU) have the same part number for a complete cylinder head. That means that they have stopped using the sliding? rocker arms and is all in for the roller rocker arms. So I believe the head is ok.
The injection start point, as long that is the same as timing point, is 2° ATDC +- 2°. If you check out the following post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427474
Here I have posted a test of several timing angle to find the optimum timing. One obvious question about this is the use of VAG-COM to set timing. I guess it is ok, but the timing behaves weird as it cycles between two different modes.
At last it is the function of the pump itself. There is no error code from it, but it has been mentioned that it still can be bad. I have no idea how to check this out.