clutch problem

n1465r

We took the jet a to the dealer yesterday for a clutch problem. The car has 32,000 mi's on it and the clutch would slip in any gear when the turbo would come up to full power. So of course it would not do it for the dealer. When I have had problems with a clutch (wear) it would slip in high gear first, so this has me thinking there is a problem with the slave, master cyl. or a backed out pivot stud causing the pressure plate not to fully ingage. Of course the dealer says it is not under warranty so thay say to keep driving it until it fails. So I guess I will have to tear into it to find what is wrong. I did remove the box before taking it in so that could be the reason the dealer could not get it to slip. I am open to seggestions on what might be the problem or a way to check the above items with out removing the gearbox. I have not heard of a clutch problem in the TDI's if there is, also let me know.

2000 Jet A 32,000 mi need clutch
1987 Nissan Pickup replaced at 186,000mi
1986 MR2 165,000 mi clutch still going (with SCCA Prosolo for 2 years)
1991 MR2 Turbo 102,000 clutch still going
1976 Grumman AA1B-150 don't need no stinking clutch

Know how to use a clutch despite what the dealer says!

Thanks Doug

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: n1465r ]</p>

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is not unusual for an A4-chassis TDI to require an upgraded clutch due to hot-rodding. (The absence of the tuning box IS why they couldn't get it to slip.) Time to save the pennies for a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch ( www.dieselgeek.com )