Mercedes Unimog TDI ALH powered conversion, harness done by OttoStadt

TDI
04 BEW Golf
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing this;

http://youtu.be/Hib2dQST5ZE

1962 Unimog military truck with a ALH VE TDI swap that I just finished redoing the engine wiring harness in, the previous shop that had done the harness had done a one off that couldn't be diagnosed easily (and had numerous issues since day one - flashing oil light, 10sec starts, etc..), I just redid the harness and mimicked the exact VW system so that any tech could diagnose an issue on the car with a VW diagram.

http://youtu.be/wbXmKnkh8rk

I'm also working on a plug and play engine harness for any TDI (or VW gas for that matter) swaps in any application, essentially you'll get a box, put ignition, constant 12v, ground and it will fire right up... The Unimog is version 1.0 of this product. Concept;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K6doYFSR_s

Last edited:
TDI
04 BEW Golf
An adapter plate and custom flywheel was made by a local machinist to bolt the Unimog transmission to the TDI, he likes to keep it at 90km/h but can max out at 110 approximetly.

He'll be installing an overdrive in the coming months to lower the RPMs and make it more civilized on the highway.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is really incredible! How does the ALH (or at least, THAT one) compare with the original 'mog's engine? I assume it was a non-turbo I6 of around 3.0L?

I'd love to see some video of it in action, on and off the road.

I'm also very interested in your plug 'n play standalone wiring. Great job!!! :)

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Awesome work David!!! A 404 with a Tdi will be a welcome upgrade to the 82hp 2.2 gas lump in there originally!!!
I'm very curious about your customers overdrive approach. Excited to hear more about it!!
If you develop a majic box to run these engines, look out for a train of customers coming to your door!!!!
Awesome work!!!
Andrew

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I have to agree with everyone else :-D

I've often thought that a Unimog would be such a cool vehicle to have. Combined with the ALH, that's super cool!

The one suggestion, I'd propose would be to look at changing gearing so you can get to 70 mph. The power is there to do it now..

Mark

TDI
04 BEW Golf
There's an ALH swapped Pinzgauer around here, the owner of this Unimog knows him... The Unimog owner will chime in soon he just became a member to answer questions !

Jerz

TDI
05 Passat Wagon GLS TDi 180hp, 5 speed swap; 05 Passat Wagon BEW swap (wife's, traded for OM606 Merc soon to be STD); 05 Mazda B3000 2.0mTDi swap (sold); Boxster S TDi swap (under construction)
Very nice. I am also interested in the future overdrive solution. I have 406 model with 5.7l OM352 diesel and twicked pump. It is getting turbo in the near future, but gearing for highway use is still on the low side, even with 46inch tires. I am turning about 3000rpm at 100km/h.

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
Very nice. I am also interested in the future overdrive solution. I have 406 model with 5.7l OM352 diesel and twicked pump. It is getting turbo in the near future, but gearing for highway use is still on the low side, even with 46inch tires. I am turning about 3000rpm at 100km/h.
Oh, man. Now all the Unimog owners come out of the woodwork. :D I have a CASE MB4/94 406.

I'm glad to see someone doing this conversion. Now I want a 404 with an ALH!
More video please! :D

Last edited:

Chamo

TDI
2004 TDI Wagon & UNIMOG 404 1962 TDI Stage 2
Hi gents. I am the crazy dreamer.
Here is a video of last weekend off road event.

http://youtu.be/cXMBAb58UEw

Summary:
1962 UNIMOG 404 Ex Swiss Army.
Mods:
- Aluminium heat sink under transmission. This really helps keep the heat down but does not solve the problems associated with bushings in one of the tranny's shaft. This transmission can not handle high speeds for any extended duration without very serious mods like machining for needle bearings on one shaft;
- 2001 VW TDI with recent Malone Stage 2 chip upgrade;
- Power steering waiting to be re-installed;
- Various cargo box modification pending camper build, next Summer.
Upgrades in next 2 years:
a. re-activate 3rd & 4th low range speeds. This tranny is a 6 speeds for miltary production then (1 & 2 low range + 3-4-5-6 being High range) but there are actually 8 speeds in the box; 3rd & 4th Low Range there but de-activated;
b. dual circuit power brakes with an exhaust engine brake;
c. hydraulic winch; & the biggy
d. machine a 22% overdrive in rear torque tube.

Chamo

TDI
..Forgot, I have a crane on my roll bar as well, used for lifting the cab, engine & transmission as well as for loading stuff onto the cargo bed.
- Tire racks for 2 spares at the tail gate (spare tires not installed for that trip); &
- MPT81 tires.
:))

Chamo

TDI
For speed / OD related questions, here are my numbers:

75kph or 46mph: 3,000RPM or 2,340 RPM with 22% OD;
80kph or 50mph: 3,200RPM or 2,496RPM with OD;
90kph or 56mph: 3,600RPM or 2,808RPM with OD;
100kph or 62mph: 4,000RPM or 3,120RPM with OD.

The OD being in the rear torque tube will alleviate the transmission & cab noise issue while getting a more acceptable highway speed.

Chamo

TDI
Sorry guys. :eek: Link is now public, should work now. :) Thanks Paulinski & David for letting me know.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Blue Bug.. new top end
Great discussion. Us Unimog nuts have poored years into the Over Drive idea your batting around. All this has lead to some great OD fabrication going on. Below thread will probably interest any moggers looking at Odrives.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1616627-new-overdrive-idea-square-cab-mogs-9.html

Beside that invite all you Unimogers popping up here pour thru the biggest English speaking Unimog forum (least I think it is). Lots of great folk there with like minds. Very similar to here at TDI Club.

benzworld.org/forums/unimog

PS- I miss my Dietrich Dieselized 404 w/8speed conversion, hard cab, 5th wheel camper (project) etc etc.

Last edited:

Chamo

TDI
Wow! Do you have pics of your: "Dietrich Dieselized 404 w/8speed conversion, hard cab, 5th wheel camper (project) etc etc"?

Thanks for the Benzworld link.
:)

PS. The overdrive will based on the integration of a Gear Vendor OD taken from a Ford F450... a big one. It will be sort of be floating inside the modified torque tube so it is not subject to compression stress of the torque tube generated by the rear axle.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
I'm currently tracking my UPS shipment of 650$ worth of Deutsch and AMP terminals/connectors, supposed to land today before the end of the day. The Goal is to have a finished product to show to you guys next week including demonstration videos...!

adphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 a4 b7 quattro bhw swapped, 2003 lifted Jetta Wagon Alh , 1983 mercedes om 617 4speed manual

Is that the same truck we did at skip tuning 3-4 years ago ?