3M clear film

dbb635

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Wheat
I have a quick question, the VW dealer is offering to install a 3M clear coat protective film on the Wagon at strategic places prior to delivery, the cost is about $275.00 Has anyone had this done, is it worth it, is there a better less expensive alternative?

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
3M makes a product called Scotchcal. It is awesome stuff. I have had it on two cars now. There are kit manufacturers that make specific pieces for each car. I have the Stoneguard kit on our JWagon.

It really works. It won't stop dents, but it will certainly preserve your paint finish, and bras are a major problem in foul weather as they can cause more damage to the paint. Zero maintenance, just wash, and wax as normal. Can easily be changed if it gets damaged as well.

I say 'go for it' BUT find out what they are doing. I had the following pieces done:

hood (two sizes.. I got the large one)
headlights (heavier material used here)
front bumper (3 piece kit)
side mirrors
sides of fenders near headlights

I had custom made panels for:
door jams
doghouse in front of rear wheels

It is an art to get this installed correctly, and the price you got quoted is very cheap. I paid over $700 CDN to get all that done on our '04 wagon. Took about 5 hours to install.

HTH,
Harry.

fresheverytime

TDI
2004 TDI PD
I have the 3M treatment on my front end... this is my second car with it and I love it. I only have the leading edge of the hood coverred (approximately the first 12 inches)... plus the small areas beside the headlights before the fender curves around. I highly recommend it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I suspect they're worthwhile...you see many hi-end cars equipped with it. You can get DIY kits from xpel, stoneguard, etc. This job is so precise that it's best left to a pro so you can complain when it's less than perfect. Once the piece is applied, it's nearly impossible to remove/re-position it.

$275 sounds reasonalbe.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
these cars chip real bad and suffer to an extreme degree from road rash. $CND275 may be a very good investment if you intend to keep the car.