Fuel Additives

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
OK, in my MK4, I was using Standyne, Diesel Kleen and on occasion, Mercury 2 Stroke oil as a fuel additive on each fill up to help with lubricity.

With the EA288 and how it is built to todays fuel standards, are these additives necessary anymore? I figure the manufactures should have figured out how to cope with the fuels in use today.

I am still using my supply of additives (Standyne and Diesel Kleen only) until I hear differently.

Ay insight would be greatly appreciated.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I use OptiLube or a bit of ASTM 6751 biodiesel in every tank. No more than 5% bio in any case.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Power Service and 5% bio here, just in case... i think of it as probiotics for my car. :)

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
When I got my 2015 GSW, the guy at the dealer told me the HPFP failure rate is better with the MK7 design over the MK6. He said the pump is placed lower in the fuel tank and redesigned so it is submerged better by diesel. He said when people run the tank too low, the HPFP is not able to cool as well (since it uses the surrounding D2 as a coolant). It overheats and then the problems happen.

He seemed fairly knowledgeable about TDIs and owns one himself. He said lots of TDI owners run their tank past "empty / 0 miles" to squeeze out as much as they can per tank to brag they got 700 miles/tank. This causes lots of problems.

The prior thinking was poor fuel quality and low lubricity. However I seen people from states with the B10 mandate have failures. I also don't know how much I trust the dealer's response. I ran my 2010 JSW for 110,000 miles without issues and plan on running my 2015 without additives. I will fill when it gets to the red (about 1 gallon left) to be safe

Last edited:

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
That pump in the tank is not the HPFP. It is the low pressure fuel pump to the HPFP.
You're right! I was not thinking when I heard that. Shouldn't surprise me when I get more BS from the dealer when I go in to buy a car.

I did hear that the HPFP incidents are lower with the mk7 than mk6, but that could also be due to fewer miles and fewer cars on the mk7 than mk6. Time will tell