2012 Passat Questions - How many 6M are out there?

hartzpad

Veteran Member
Just had VW buy back my 2010 Jetta TDI 6M, looking to get a Passat TDI. Tons of 2012's out there, can someone help me?

1) Does the 2012 Passat TDI have Urea injection? Why if it uses the same 2.0CR that the Jetta does and Jetta does not have Urea

2) I cannot find a 6 speed manual Passat TDI even searching nationwide, how many are out there?

3) Do the 2012 TDI's I see for sale already have the emissions retrofit? Or would I plan on them needing this retrofit?

4) If I have to go DSG, how much is the DSG service every 40k miles?

I have not emissions checks in my county, just want to know what I'm in for.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
1) Yes, because it *ISN'T* the same engine. The Jetta is Gen-1, the Passat Gen-2. Block might be the same, but that does not fully define the engine. Why? Rolled out in phases as models rev'ed.

2) No idea, but they were built. No buybacks for sale, since the Gen-2 fix for manuals has not yet been released by VW.

3) If from a dealer as CPO, definitely. Dealer used, likely. Used from anywhere else or private sale, unknown - there is no requirement in those cases.

4) Only done it once, about $400 iirc, less if you DIY . . .

hartzpad

Veteran Member
1) Yes, because it *ISN'T* the same engine. The Jetta is Gen-1, the Passat Gen-2. Block might be the same, but that does not fully define the engine. Why? Rolled out in phases as models rev'ed.

2) No idea, but they were built. No buybacks for sale, since the Gen-2 fix for manuals has not yet been released by VW.

3) If from a dealer as CPO, definitely. Dealer used, likely. Used from anywhere else or private sale, unknown - there is no requirement in those cases.

4) Only done it once, about $400 iirc, less if you DIY . . .

Thank you very much! I'm finding incredible deals on 2012-2015 Passat TDI's, has the market gone very soft on these since the Dieselgate scandal? I'm finding 2012 Passat TDI's for the same price VW bought back my Jetta and with 1/3 the miles!!!!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
At this point, what you see are likely CPO fixed buyback cars. The majority of the remaining new 2015's sold quite some time ago this spring . . .

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Has anyone purchased a CPO 2015 Passat TDI recently? How willing were dealers to negotiate?