Trunk Lights

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I noticed the trunks is extremely dim when the cargo cover is extended. Has anyone done anything to brighten the trunk. Anyone try installing the deautokey led strip in the GSW? If so, where did you install them in your trunk?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I noticed the trunks is extremely dim when the cargo cover is extended. Has anyone done anything to brighten the trunk. Anyone try installing the deautokey led strip in the GSW? If so, where did you install them in your trunk?
Yes, I hate the OEM lights and swapping the bulb with a led festoon doesn't seem bright enough. I did a similar LED strip and wired it myself without a kit in my 2010 sportwagen.

Pros: it really is as bright as the pictures show. Nice output. Turns on only with hatch instead of with doors. I did a 3000K led strip and it made a nice look

Cons: When I packed my trunk with luggage and it scraped against the ceiling, it sliced through the strip and 3 leds stopped working. I had to take it down and put in another strip (cheap). When I look in my rearview mirror, I can see it on the ceiling, though it doesn't protrude much, it still bugs me. Maybe I'm too OCD. On hot days, the adhesive started to melt and it would fall off and hang. I drilled holes and used zip ties (imagine stitches). The 2010 sportwagen had fabric that didn't stick well, the 2015 sportwagen has a harder plastic that should keep the adhesive bonded.

When I got my new 2015 sportwagen, I decided against the LED strip and got one of these: http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-vw-gti-entire-trunk-housing-bright-error-free-plug-and-play
I found one on ebay for $9 and it is the same 18 led unit. I am not satisfied with the output but it is better than OEM, it looks OEM, and I don't see it in my rearview mirror or have to deal with it hitting anything or falling off. I barely use the hatch at night and only 15 seconds when I do so it's not worth the hassle.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Another happy DeAutokey rear light customer. It brightens up the space immensely.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
You need to do your homework before doing this.
off eBay a 48 LED COB panel for US$ 0.81 shipped to you

Run a double wire from the existing trunk light to under the rear window shelf and stick the LED panel there.
Enough light you can read by.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I got one of these off ebay: http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-v...-plug-and-play. I didn't think it was bright enough so I looked for more options.

This is what I ended up doing and I'm very happy with it
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Daytime-Reverse-Backup-Parking/dp/B018G5MY5O/

Here it is with the cargo cover on like OP asked about

Here it is with the cargo cover pulled back

Side view:

Close up of install:

I took off the panel on the hatch that allows access to the trunk latch. Then I drilled 4 holes with a 1/2in drill bit. I put the light through and screwed the nut in. I took the wires and connected it to a new wire I ran through the hatch panel, through the rubber grommets into the ceiling right next to the light. I spliced the wiring for the hatch light to the wire and all done. The angle of the panel is perfect to shine down to the cargo area and not get in the way when using the cargo area or obstructing my view in the rear view mirror. It's pretty sturdy too and I'm not worried about the LED breaking off. It's also above my head and I don't block the light when looking in the trunk.

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I got one of these off ebay: http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-v...-plug-and-play. I didn't think it was bright enough so I looked for more options.

This is what I ended up doing and I'm very happy with it
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Daytime-Reverse-Backup-Parking/dp/B018G5MY5O/

Here it is with the cargo cover on like OP asked about

Here it is with the cargo cover pulled back

Side view:

Close up of install:

I took off the panel on the hatch that allows access to the trunk latch. Then I drilled 4 holes with a 1/2in drill bit. I put the light through and screwed the nut in. I took the wires and connected it to a new wire I ran through the hatch panel, through the rubber grommets into the ceiling right next to the light. I spliced the wiring for the hatch light to the wire and all done. The angle of the panel is perfect to shine down to the cargo area and not get in the way when using the cargo area or obstructing my view in the rear view mirror. It's pretty sturdy too and I'm not worried about the LED breaking off. It's also above my head and I don't block the light when looking in the trunk.
The light seems more bluish than white? Is that how the color is or is it the photos? How white is the lights compared to the front and rear passenger interior lights?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
The light seems more bluish than white? Is that how the color is or is it the photos? How white is the lights compared to the front and rear passenger interior lights?
The yellow/orange street lights threw my phone's white balance off by a lot. It's a standard 6000K LED like almost all bright DRLs out there. I agree the color looks off compared to real life. The brightness also doesn't come through as much on my phone. It really is very bright, more than the picture suggests.

My interior lights are warmer. Inside seems like 4000K.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I did manual white balance on my phone (cloudy wb so 5000k. Not 6000k but closer). My kids wanted to play inside. You can get a sense of color and brightness. The interior lights are definitely warmer

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I have used deAutoKey for my last five and now going on sixth VW......love them.
We appreciate it, our trunk LED strip are all plug and play, it comes with custom adapters that fit with your trunk housing without issue, we mention this because all other options will require you to cut or splice and many don't want to do that. Plus this is 48 bright LED diodes with resin coat so they won't damage in your trunk. We hit this with plywood and they held up.