www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old September 15th, 2012, 22:58   #1
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI
Default Proposal: Guided Roadtrip of Europe Summer 2013

Sorry for my delay in re-posting since my browser crash. It had taken more than a few hours to compose my post, all of which was lost in the blink of eye. You would think after so much experience with browser crashes in the middle of a long post that I would have learned my lesson and written it out in a word processor first as I am now…

Anyway, at TDIFest 2012 I proposed the idea of a guided roadtrip next summer. The plan was to do this trip around Germany and also coinciding with the Le Mans race on the weekend of June 22nd-23rd, so that we can be there for the event as well at the Paris Air Show around the same time period.

In fact, this proposal for a European roadtrip is not the first I’ve made, as I also pitched one back in 2005, not long after having arrived in Germany and barely had time to settle in.

Since returning from TDIFest, I’ve been researching the logistics of organizing such a trip and figuring out a suitable itinerary that would include some highlights of Germany but also leaving for maximum flexibility in case some people want to venture out on their own and allow them to rejoin the group at any time.

Here are a couple of main points and plans that have been pretty firmly established:
  • Recognizing that most people have constraints on available vacation time and work schedules, I try to set the itineraries so that people can depart from their home airports on a Saturday and also be back on a Saturday or Sunday.
  • The arrival airport and meeting city is Frankfurt, because this is a hub and gateway airport from all over North America. Picking up rental cars from here would also be the most straightforward.
  • The maximum number of participants will be capped at 10 people. This is to keep the group intimate and manageable. Availability will be on a first-come-first-served basis with payment of a reservation deposit.
  • The guided part of the itinerary is structured for maximum flexibility and some free-time. It will be about 2 weeks long and participants are free to break away on their own as they wish, rejoin the group at anytime en route on the planned itinerary, leave to depart for home whenever needed or extend their stay beyond the official tour.
  • Participants will be responsible for booking flights to arrive in Frankfurt and meet on the appointed day at the start of the trip. You have full flexibility on your departure location and date.
  • Rental cars will be arranged as a group but each car with be on a separate contract in the name of- and billed to the primary driver. All cars will be requested to have Diesel engines and have the expected amenities, GPS navigation and insurance. Requests can be made but the rental agency generally cannot guarantee specific brands, models and engine choices.
Now, on to the planned itinerary, still subject to considerable revision:

Day 1 (e.g. June 9, 2013): Arrival in Frankfurt. Pick up rental cars. Orientation meeting, dinner and local sightseeing. Overnight in Frankfurt area.

Day 2: Drive to Heidelberg via Deutsche Weinstrasse (German Wine Road). Attractions in area: Hockenheimring, Speyer and Sinsheim Museums, Mannheim, Worms, Speyer town, Neckarsulm (Audi factory there). Overnight in Heidelberg area.

Day 3: Drive to Stuttgart. Attractions in area: Daimler-Benz and Porsche factory tours and museums. Alternative: Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Overnight somewhere.

Day 4/5: Drive to Munich. Lots to see and do in the area. 2X overnight in Munich area.

Day 6: Drive to Wolfsburg via Nürnberg. Visit Autostadt. Overnight in Wolfsburg.

Day 7: Participants leaving for home will drive to Frankfurt to catch their flights. Others drive to Berlin.

Day 8/9: Visit Berlin. Lots to see and do in the area. Other attractions: Potsdam, Dresden (VW glass factory). 2X overnight in Berlin (or 1X Berlin, 1X Dresden).

Day 10: Drive to Cologne. Lots to see and do in the area. Other attractions: Nürburgring, Bonn, Duesseldorf, Aachen, Maastricht. Overnight in Cologne area.

Day 11: Drive to Amsterdam. Lots to see and do in the area. Overnight in Amsterdam.

Day 12: Drive to Paris. Lots to see and do in the area. Overnight in Paris.

Day 13/14: Drive to Le Mans. Watch race. 2X overnight in Le Mans area.

Day 14/15: Drive to airport to catch flights home.

So, where do we go from here? First, if you are interested in this, please identify yourself and let me know if you will traveling solo or with a spouse. It would be nice to know the demographics and interests of the participants as it will greatly influence planning things like activities and accommodations – a group of 10 guys traveling with a single-minded interest in cars, beer and machines and also having no problem with roughing it would require different planning than a mixed group with certain expectations of luxury and amenities. The above schedule, and planned stops are still subject to change. If there are other places that a majority of participants would like to see, or if there’s a stop where there’s majority disinterest to visit, I will try to change the itinerary accordingly.

Rooms around Le Mans book up way in advance of the annual race event. Therefore I would need to receive a partial reservation deposit from participants and book a block of rooms by mid-October. The balance of the trip reservation and those who have no interest in going to Le Mans but want to do the rest of the trip will need to pay the trip reservation by the end of the calendar year (again, first-come-first-served until all spots are filled). These details are still being worked out and I’ll get Fred’s input on how best to do this when I meet him in Vancouver next week.

I will also have an estimate of the budget for this trip.

Below is an overview map showing the planned itinerary:

I’m really excited about this!!

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; September 18th, 2012 at 22:02.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 14:48   #2
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

Subscribed

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:54   #3
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Subscribed. Depends on how much time I can get off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:20   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Subscribed, but may prove difficult with my family situation.
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:00   #5
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Is it bad that I looked at 324td Tourings this morning?

(Only found one quickly, and it was an automatic veggie car. DO NOT WANT. (Besides, it was made 1989-06, and any car that I would get has to be made in CY1988 or earlier.))

Speaking of which, how hard is it to register a vehicle for temporary use in Germany, before exportation? I know the automakers do it all the time for European Delivery programs, but is it easy at an individual level? If I were to get something, I'd be tempted to drive it around before shipping it over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:40   #6
romad
Veteran Member

Interesting. I'll have to see if my wife might be interested as we used to live in Germany: Nürnberg, Bremerhaven, and Göppingen. Haven't been there since '88.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 13:20   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Interesting. I'll have to see if my wife might be interested as we used to live in Germany: Nürnberg, Bremerhaven, and Göppingen. Haven't been there since '88.
Ha, I think the country is twice its size since then (speaking of the reunification of East/West).
Old September 17th, 2012, 13:25   #8
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

I will be headed to Wolfsburg and Nurmberg at the end of the October. I could be a possible resource if this trip comes to fruition.

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 15:44   #9
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Ha, I think the country is twice its size since then (speaking of the reunification of East/West).
I've been to West Berlin twice and East Berlin once. Hmmm, I wonder if the pieces of the B-52 shot down over Hanoi are still on display in a museum I saw there? Or if that museum still exists.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 23:13   #10
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Subscribed and moved to the "Events, Gatherings, Clubs" sections since this is not exclusive to those who were at TDIFest.
PS, looking at the points on the map, I'm guessing driving to them all would be over 3,000km. Looks like fun. sorry to hear your browser crashed just before hitting posting....

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf

Last edited by VW Derf; September 17th, 2012 at 23:18.
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 22:03   #11
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Well, I've fixed the first post.

See you next week, Fred!

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Old September 18th, 2012, 22:31   #12
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Is it bad that I looked at 324td Tourings this morning?

(Only found one quickly, and it was an automatic veggie car. DO NOT WANT. (Besides, it was made 1989-06, and any car that I would get has to be made in CY1988 or earlier.))

Speaking of which, how hard is it to register a vehicle for temporary use in Germany, before exportation? I know the automakers do it all the time for European Delivery programs, but is it easy at an individual level? If I were to get something, I'd be tempted to drive it around before shipping it over.
EXTREMELY EASY. When you've transferred the title of the car into your name, you can obtain 5-day yellow-tag temporary license plates (Kurzzeitkennzeichen) or red-tag export plates (Ausfuhrkennzeichen or Zollkennzeichen) of varying length from 15-days up to 6 months. As long as the car's TüV will not expire within the expiry of either plates, you don't have to get a new one. With yellow-tag and export plates up to 3 months, there's no road tax due. Longer than that you have to pay road tax retroactively to first registration date in your name.

I have bought plates from this online company:
http://www.nesen24.com/

You buy a voucher that gets you the plates and includes liability insurance (the green card of the voucher), which you redeem at any transport office (Strassenverkehrsamt).

You can contact me if you want to discuss shipping it back.

HTH.

Last edited by TDIMeister; September 18th, 2012 at 22:33.
Old September 18th, 2012, 23:08   #13
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf View Post
Subscribed and moved to the "Events, Gatherings, Clubs" sections since this is not exclusive to those who were at TDIFest.
PS, looking at the points on the map, I'm guessing driving to them all would be over 3,000km. Looks like fun. sorry to hear your browser crashed just before hitting posting....
Thanks for moving the thread Fred.

You made a very good call! The itinerary as per Google Maps is about 3900 km. It estimates about 370 Euros in Diesel fuel.
Here's a link to the map: http://bit.ly/S6JACB

Last edited by TDIMeister; September 18th, 2012 at 23:19.
Old September 19th, 2012, 19:47   #14
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

This is a pretty full schedule, but a possible day side trip when down in the Munich area would be the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße (high alpine road) in Austria. It is a full day through the pass from Munich but would add a different dimension as it is a wonderful windy and scenic road up Austria's tallest mountain.

When I drove it 8 years ago there were lots of vehicle manufactures driving test mules up and down as part of their testing.

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf

Last edited by VW Derf; September 19th, 2012 at 20:05. Reason: updated link
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 19:59   #15
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

I love the idea, Fred. For entering into Austria, do you know whether will a toll vignette be necessary just to drive only the on Hochalpenstrasse and not on the freeway?