not so average tdi in samurai!!

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Well it starts next month but thought id get a jump on the thread as parts start to arive. Here is the project.
1990 samurai
dana 44 front
14 bolt rear
tdi compound turbos
Nv3550 trans
Np241 doubler transfercase
3 link front
4 link rear
Coilovers from bigshocks.com

This will be the end result. For it to be done by may it wont have compounds or the doubler. Turbo and piping will be done by whitbread performance.

Last edited:

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
I use high angle driveline for shafts if i dont build them myself. We are going to stretch the wheelbase too so the angles wont be to bad.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
What motor?

In my opinion, VE motors don't have proper fuel delivery to really get awesome hp/torque. However they do have many other advantages as I'm finding.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
We are going to use a tdi from an 01 jetta. We have the wireing and all for it.

Last edited:

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Dana 44! Sounds like overkill, you have plans for 500ft-lbs ? Don't get me wrong, anything worth doing is worth over-doing...

:D

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Hehe yes i build everything over kill. The goal is to drive it to wheeling park. Wheel all weekend and drive home. So stronger is better lol. We will see.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
That im leaving up to whitbread. All i know is the smaller will be stockish. So off road you have power right away.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Why would you go 14 Bolt? The 14 Bolt axle necks down after the splines, whereas something like a semi-float Dana 60 doesn't. I am assuming you're going high steer and flat top (kingpins)? Sure, the 14 Bolt has the 3rd pinion bearing, but only because it's a weaker design.

I have to wonder if the Cummins 4BT wouldn't be better suited for what you want to do. Otherwise I'd suggest some Toyota axles for better clearance.

Good luck with the build, I had a lot of fun during those days, but no one wheels anymore, so I stopped.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
A 14 bolt because its the right price and its pritty dang strong from factory. I have a full float 60 with chrommolly 35 spline axles and a spool in my truck. Ive tried and cant break it. My full float 14 bolt will hold up to everything that sami gives it. If i do break an axle they make chrommoly for thos too. Ive seen factory 14 bolts survive a whole lot, off road and at pulls. Well will see what happens, it will be an adventure hehe.

The 4bt would work well. But for the money i can build this tdi alot cheeper. 4bts are gold anymore. For 4000 i can get a stock 4 bt. Or twins on my free tdi. If i was starting from scratch i may think a little harder, but then again i dont mind doing things other wont.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
That 14 bolt is going to be super heavy, I'm guessing you will run some massive tires? Toy axles are pretty popular here in fl. I would love to put an alh in my sammi too, I'll be watching your build. Good luck! Subscribed. :D

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Haha yes it will have some tire for sure. Something to the tone of 37" nitto mud grapplers. So it matches my truck hehe

Last edited:

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
Are you keeping the axles full width? A stock 14-bolt doesn't have many flaws beside low clearance, weight and huge drum brakes. Swap out for a set of discs , shave the bottom, and never worry again. A co-worker used a 14-bolt in his 800 hp pull truck for years and never snapped a stock axleshaft. You can shave the bottom with a sawzall and then grind it smooth!

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Yes ill be keeping the full widths. The end result with cage wont look as bad as a full axle on a sami does lol. The disc brake rears is all i run. No since in haveing those drums anymore hehe.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I still think it's overkill to the point of diminishing returns. Yes, the 14 Bolt is a mighty axle, but a pig otherwise, and you're going to be putting a max of 400 ft-lbs to it, not 800, so no high power breaks. Yes, they are cheap, but so many other axles would be better suited fo that purpose and narrower as well. I assuming you're going to use a C&C 14 Bolt?

I have a Samurai, and cannot imagine a full width 14 Bolt stuffed under there. Toyota axles will net a lot more clearance and a friend ran them in his Scrambler with a motor out of his drag Mustang, so I know they'll hold at 500 hp and high rpm's with 36" Swampers.

After wheeling for many years, it is nice being able to fit and pick a line where the big boys running D60/70 combo's cannot.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
I agree with you. Narrow is fun but this build is getting the 14 bolt. No its not a c&c axle. Only reason im running the 44 front is i have not bought a king pin 60 yet. Axles over kill? Yes. But im ok with it. The end result will make it worth it.

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
So I guess You are making the engine to trans adapter? I guess You are planing on using a vw flywheel and pressure plate with some different clutch disc ?

Looks like a neat build.I have an 86 samurai that will be getting a 1Z MTDI engine and I'm just using the sami trans and case and the acme adapters kit.The case has 6.5:1 gears and my dana 44's have 5.38 gears.I'm running 36" Iroks so it crawls pretty slow even with the gasser.

I wheel with guys that are running rockwell axles and 42-54" tires.Nothing better than making climbs that they sometimes can't.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
No we are using the acme adapter and a billet flywheel toyota sized with vw bolt pattern. The pressure plate and disc will be for a toyota as well just beefed up

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I did an 98 ABA swap into a 89 Sami. It was a fun little truck. I was following another samurai enthusiast from Alaska who put a ALH in his and had a lot of fun with it.

Had to get rid of it so I helped a kid put a 1.6 NA from a rabbit into it and off it went.

Good luck with your swap!

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Update: more and more parts are showing up, pictures coming soon!! 1 more week till she rolls in the shop and then the fun begins.

Thanks to all who have donated or discounted. Whitbread performance, hellfire fabworks(rough stuff specialties dealer), Evalution customs of ft wayne In., and many more to come!!

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
I got an HX30 and an HY30. Gonna talk to matt see which one he'd rather run.

I can't wait to see the twin setup operate.

Last edited:

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Matt said which ever one has the smaller turbine wheel. And i can wait either!!! For may, and the truck show it will just be a turned up stock tdi but this summer after a trip or two it will be compounded.. hehe