TDI Heater from FrostHeater released

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
I dunno if anyone else knew, but the B4 TDIHeater model was just released. Ordered mine this morning. $109 and includes the lower hose.

I'd recommend it.
The warmer your engine is on startup, the faster oil gets where it ought, the less wear and tear on your engine. Plus, you waste less fuel in the warmup process. And if nothing else, you get heat pretty quick.

Our 2 7.3L Powerstroke's came factory with block heaters... Makes life real nice on those sub-zero Fahrenheit nights!

www.frostheater.com

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Guys, you're gonna love it! Install is not too tough, and it works great! :) :D

Go ahead and get enough antifreeze for total car capacity. You're gonna need it. Ditto supplies for an oil change, as you have to remove the oil filter for install. At least a new filter. You absolutely need a quality cable-style clamp tool.

If you need them, now is a great time to change out all the other hoses in the area of the oil cooler. autohausaz.com has them at great prices.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
New Mod for Our Old B4's!

Typrus said:
I dunno if anyone else knew, but the B4 TDIHeater model was just released. Ordered mine this morning. $109 and includes the lower hose...

www.frostheater.com
While I knew that Terry was wanting to do one, I believe at this years fest he said that he needed a B4 for a model. If I were closer, I would've been happy to have mine be the guinea pig ;) ! I did a search for frost and heater in these A3/B4 sections after reading the recent thread Winter Front by Lupin in the 3rd(would like to know he origins of that name:) ) and found this thread. Obviously missed it earlier on one of my TDI Club hiatuses.

So is this thread the official announcement for the latest Frost Heater application or was there another?

-Scott

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
Its my official release. lol.
I bought it, installed it, and its worked great 2 nights in a row.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Scott, I received my kit late in November. Terry sent me the first one due to me winning that lottery at the Fest. Terry did post for this kit earlier in the vendor for sale thread.

Typrus, congrats. I knew you could do it. :)

Last edited:

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, but now theres voices in my head... "Buy the cable operated hose clamp pliers.... buy the pliers.... also, go eat breakfast..." lol

Make that 3 nights :D

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
I "NEED' a Frostheater! How long an extension cord does it come with?

Do I HAVE to have a CABLE OPERATED "thingy"?

Typrus; can you come down to help me install or I can go up to meet you?
How long did it take you to install?

It is coold here, the Variant sleeps with blankets :rolleyes: !

Longing for a heater...

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
bikeprof said:
I "NEED' a Frostheater! How long an extension cord does it come with?

Do I HAVE to have a CABLE OPERATED "thingy"?

Typrus; can you come down to help me install or I can go up to meet you?
How long did it take you to install?

It is coold here, the Variant sleeps with blankets :rolleyes: !

Longing for a heater...
The heater has about a 6 foot cord. However, you don't want that lying loose in your car. Coil it up, and run it out the left corner of the bumper grille and secure it with zip tie. Leave about 6-8 inches to hang out. Run a cord to the car, and plug it in. I tuck the cord in the grille when driving the car. BTW, buy the plug protector and use it. Cuts down on corrosion of the plug.

You absolutely need the cable clamp pliers unless you want a lot of heartache. Ask Typrus.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
What with school I dunno. Have to remind me where Pagosa Springs is.

How long? 2 days. Why? No cable-operated hose-clamp pliers. BUY THEM!

I might. Its a matter of working around school and other issues, including distance. I'm kind of on a tight $$$$ right now, so fuel is a pain in the butt.

Oh yeah.... Isn't that up over Wolf Creek Pass?
Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 45 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 327.70 miles
MapQuest

Well, I don't think I could go that far. If you have anything else to do in the Loveland/Fort Collins area to justify that kind of trip, I might be able to help. Again, things would have to be made to work around school.

I think I'm fairly confident to say that I could get it done in a day, now that I've done it and won't sit stewing over where everything goes.

You drive a B4, right?

I found I needed 2 container's of G12 from TDIParts. The 1.5L bottles. And a little over a gallon of distilled water.

You have to remove the oil filter to do this job, so a change of oil is recommended.

If you choose the zip-tie attachment option (I had to because the mounting "ear" broke) make sure you have the weather-resistant black variety.

Jeeze... What else...

Oh yeah. A seperate oil and coolant catch pan. When you detach the lines, coolant goes EVERYWHERE.

Hmmmmm....... I dunno if I can think of anything else off the top of my head.

Let me know what your verdict is.

330 (more or less) miles each way, especially considering weather recently, is a lot to go, for either you or me. How long can you wait for this? If you can wait till summer, or maybe spring break, something could likely be worked out. Again, let me know. I can't make any promises though.