Climatronic Swap List of Parts

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I have searched and searched, but I cannot find a forum post here or on Vortex that simply just lists all of the parts involved in performing a Climatronic swap. Might anyone happen to have this info?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
In addition to the Climatronic evaporator you will need:
The evaporator wiring harness - these are the wires to all the blend door motors, sensors, etc.
The Climatronic head unit (controls) and trim
Outside temperature sender (1J0919379A) Mounts on the lower left front bumper, just behind the LH grille.
The temperature sending mount plate (1J0971845E)
The Sun Sensor on the dash - in the center near the defroster vent.
It makes it a lot easier if you use the Kufatec wiring harness. The Kufatec harness connects the existing manual harness to the Climatronic harness on the evaporator, so you still need the evaporator harness even if you buy the Kufatec harness.
I think that is about it.
You will probably need to replace the blend door foam in the evaporator and I would recommend you replace the dryer and expansion valve. Also the heater core and possibly the evaporator core, depending on condition. If you can, check to make sure all the blend door motors work before you install the evaporator. The entire swap is a bit of a project but it can be done in a weekend.
Personally I really like the Climatronic. I installed it in a wagon I had and again in the Golf. It pretty much does exactly what it should.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Good news is most of the climatronic harness is attached to the airbox... if it's removed carefully there are just a couple wires that need to hook to the rest of the door.

You can check all the door motors before you put the system in the car... just power it up and use the buttons on the head unit to enter test mode.

-J

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
This is all great info, thanks. I know the most economical way to go is through a junk yard. Is the junkyard the only option for the evaporator wiring harness? I saw that Kufatec harness and I was probably going to get that. I have a bunch of extra cash from the diesel recall (from another car,) and it has enabled me to build the MK4 I always wanted so I don't necessarily need to go all-junkyard.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
This is all great info, thanks. I know the most economical way to go is through a junk yard. Is the junkyard the only option for the evaporator wiring harness? I saw that Kufatec harness and I was probably going to get that. I have a bunch of extra cash from the diesel recall (from another car,) and it has enabled me to build the MK4 I always wanted so I don't necessarily need to go all-junkyard.
I know you can still get the evaporator case new, but it is bare. Well it looks like it has an evaporator and expansion valve, but no harness, blend motors, blower motor or heater core, etc. You may be able to get the harness from the dealer, not sure. There are usually several complete Climatronic boxes on ebay for $100-200. Get a good used one, repair the foam in the blend doors, install a new (quality) heater core, maybe an evaporator as well, verify the blend door motors work and you should be good to go. My guess is if you bought everything new you would be over $1000.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I am finally about a week away from starting this work. I bought a whole Climatronic housing off of eBay with everything attached to it. Since all the foam was trashed, I made the lazy decision to buy a brand new bare housing as well and then swap all the motors, sensors, etc. from the old one to the new new one.

Has anyone ever needed to replace any of the motors or sensors for Climatronic? If there are parts known to be problematic, it would be best to find them now. I already have a new heater core.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, to answer my own original post, here is a comprehensive parts list, including the three optional parts for adding glovebox AC. You may also want to acquire a wiring harness from Kufatec:

1J1820007B - AC Evaporator with housing
1J1971566AK - OEM wiring harness attached to housing
1J1819021C - Blower motor
1J0907521 - Blower motor resistor
1J0907543B - Temperature sensor (now G?)
1J0907543A - Temperature sensor
1H0907543A - Temperature sensor (Yes, the 1H is different)
8D2820511C - Servo motor, defroster blend door, yellow
1J1907511D - Servo motor, air distribution control door, green
1J1907511C - Servo motor, temperature regulating flap, purple
1J1907511A - Servo motor, recirculated air door, black
1J09075392AQ - Sun load sensor
1J1819031B - Heater core
1H0819019 - Heater core gasket
3B1907044C - Control display
1J0907047P4J4 - Control display trim, aluminum

3B1820701 - Glovebox AC outlet
3B1816311 - Glovebox AC hose
3B081635501C - Glovebox AC valve

If you purchase an AC evaporator housing off of a place like eBay, it will come with many of these parts: blower motor, blower motor resistor, all three temp sensors, all four servo motors, heater core/gasket and OEM wiring harness.

When purchasing a used housing, pay attention to the condition of the foam. You may end up replacing all of it. A brand new AC evaporator housing doesn't come with any of the parts a used one does, but it does have all new foam.

Last edited: