FORD Thinks Diesel May Soon Grab 10% of USA Auto Market

S

SkyPup

6/5/2001 - DEARBORN, Mich. -- Ford Motor Co.'s new research chief Gerhard Schmidt, a German engineer Ford recently recruited from BMW AG, said he thinks diesel engines could account for more than 10% of vehicle sales in the U.S. over the next decade, provided that the industry successfully clears various obstacles that have so far limited the spread of diesel engines in the U.S.

Speaking to a group of reporters at Ford's research laboratory here Monday, Dr. Schmidt said gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles could see a similar boost in demand. He said hybrids and other alternative fuel vehicles could grab a 10% share of the U.S. market for cars and light trucks.

Ford is scheduled to launch a hybrid version of the Escape sport-utility vehicle in 2003, while Honda Motor Co. says it will add a second gasoline-electric hybrid to its product lineup in the U.S. next year. Currently there are two hybrids marketed in the U.S.: the Honda Insight, a two-seater coupe, and Toyota Motor Corp.'s small sedan called the Prius.

Dr. Schmidt, who became Ford's chief of research in April, admitted diesel engines face a tough future in the U.S. Among the issues, he said, are the "bad" public image diesels have in the U.S. market, "low quality" diesel fuel production standards, and U.S. regulations that he said were "unfriendly" toward using diesel engines as a solution to improving fuel economy and emissions.

"It's hard to judge," he said, but if the industry can resolve such image, regulatory and other issues, there is a "significant chance" that diesel-powered vehicles may account for "more than 10%" of annual U.S. demand for cars and light trucks over the next decade.

Other than a limited number of diesel cars Volkswagen AG sells, the American consumer has little choice in diesel-powered cars or light trucks today.

Asked how soon Ford will take the plunge to sell diesel-powered passenger cars in the U.S., Dr. Schmidt said he wasn't sure of Ford management's plans yet, but noted that he is personally all for the idea. "If you ask me, do I support such an activity, I would confirm yes, I will assist" the move as much as possible, he said.

While at BMW, where he spent the last 21 years of his career, Dr. Schmidt held a wide range of executive responsibilities in engine research and development. The German executive replaces as Ford vice president of research Bill Powers, who retired from the company earlier.

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
Yeah, we need Ford to bring some diesels over this way... otherwise we'll be filling our tdi's with the same cruddy fuel forever. 2006 is still a long way away for me... does anybody thing there would be even a remote chance of that deadline getting moved up if Ford gets on the government to bring some quality fuel here earlier? Or is that the best the refineries can do?

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Thanks, SP.

This bears out what I've been saying for a long time now, ie that it is Ford that holds the real key to increasing diesel popularity and market penetration in N America. They also now have a range of excellent diesel engines from 1.4-litre upwards to be able to achieve it, although I doubt whether, initially at any rate, the new Peugeot/Ford 1.4 would figure in the line-up. They'll start with the Focus and the 1.8 which has been so well-received in Europe.