Fuel Filter Brand

Jetta888

TDI
2000 Jetta
I am trying to replace my TDI fuel filter 1J0-127-401A. I searched the web and found there are over five brands in addition to VM original one.
Can anyone who has used any of the following brands previously
provide any feedback/review?

BOSCH (NO VALVE OR SEAL)
MANN
HENGST (NO O Ring)
MEYLE
MAHLE
No-Name brand (Ebay) for $10 (lowest price)

Do I have to replace O rings anytime I replace fuel filter??

Thanks

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Not intending to start a war, I would (and do) indiscriminately use all of the aforementioned brands with no detectable differences or ill effects. I have never used a "no-name" fuel filter on my TDI and, unless in dire straits, won't.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I have the CAT myself.

But for fuel filters... get the OEM or Mann, and make sure the filter element the rolled kind (not the star pattern like the oil filter). Some of the OEM filters are of the star-pleated pattern which don't quite have the surface area.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Jetta888 said:
Do I have to replace O rings anytime I replace fuel filter??

Thanks
Click on the "Support the TDIClub Get a Timing Belt Video CD" link above (next to the animated gif) and watch the fuel filter change video... ;)

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
20IndigoBlue02 said:
I have the CAT myself.
But for fuel filters... get the OEM or Mann, and make sure the filter element the rolled kind (not the star pattern like the oil filter). Some of the OEM filters are of the star-pleated pattern which don't quite have the surface area.
Indigo, I was just reading thru some older fuel filter threads but noticed you mentioned you have a CAT but not to buy the star pleat OEM. Doesn't the CAT have the star pleat?

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37438&x=7
-T

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
The CAT is a star pleat, but the filter is a lot larger than the OEM, which does make up for the surface area. The filter is good to 2 microns. The CAT filter is made for the larger heavy duty diesels at the same time (which is why this filter on the TDI application has an extended interval)