Timing belt timing adjustment question

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV golf
It seems that my timing is off on my timing belt according to a local mechanic in a vw garage. I have a A4 1.9 Tdi engine and i have had the timing belt done before. My question is, is it really neccessary to take out everything to manually set the timing again? I've had timing adjusted by tdiclub members and all i recall is them wrenching a bit and then start the car with the vag connected to see where it is and if its not correct then they do it again. My timing currently is at 48 and 127 and according to the bentley manual at the garage it should be around 50 and 90?

Borborygmi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It depends on the symptoms and the reading from the ECU with the VAG-COM relating to the timing. In addition to the fuel pump timing there is also the cam timing. The cam, crankshaft and fuel pump have to be aligned for things to work right. That is the point of the jigs used to fix the positions when installing the belt. Without looking at the chart, it sounds like you might be able to tweak the fuel pump adjustment, which is the final part of the process.

This is a very sensitive adjustment, and takes some patience to get it optimal, which is on the advanced end of the nominal region as indicated by the VAG-COM.

That might work or not. The fuel pump sprocket to shaft adjustment is what the VAG-COM or other instruments are for, but the camshaft and crankshaft azimuths just have to be set right to begin with, which should have been done properly by whoever replaced the timing belt.

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV golf
my timing belt was done at the dealership but god knows what they did. My mechanic said he needs about 1 1/2 hours to take out everything and tune it manually to get the proper settings. Is the timing very very important?

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
No you don't have to take everything out (I know you're really asking about the stretch bolts to the motor mounts.)

If you don't have VAG-COM, you're going to need to get with someone who does.
Make sure the motor is warm first, saves you time. Just remove the top TB cover, and adjust the timing by loosening the 3 13mm bolts to the fuel pump sprocket and then with a 22mm 45degree offset wrench (hey it worked really well for me) roll the injection pump in a clockwise direction (this causes the sproket to move in a counter-clockwise direction relative to the fuel injection pump.) I can't tell you how far you need to go, since at this point it winds up being a trial and error adjustment. Once you think you might be in the right zone, tighten the 3 bolts, remove any tools that might be in the way and start her up, verify the timing with VAGCOM. I like mine at 65 (Block 2) and 110 (Block 9). DBW recommends 70 and 110, if I remember correctly.

That's the first thing I'd do... However, I also have a vintage BMW and I like to know if I'm at TDC when I'm suppose to be, so if the problem persisted after the above adjustment, I'd also verify that the crank and the cam shafts are at TDC when they are suppose to be. This requires the tool kit (and don't forget to lock the injection pump if you have to slacken the TB - prevents slippage and more headaches.)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
A movement of 2 mm on the sprocket can throw the timing from the top to the bottom of the chart. It's that sensitive. Just adjust that and VAGCOM itand you should be fine.