New Owner of 05 Passat (TC on the way) what should I know/look into Keeping long term

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
new owner of a 2005 2.0 tdi passat
Replacing the torque converter now, was also inspecting my tandem pump, and coolant flange but all seems to be good. although I'm getting the parts anyway.

The owners before me were good on getting things taken care of and have plenty of receipts and documentation as far as im concerned.
I've been reading a bit but thought i'd post and maybe hear something ive not seen. It has 240k sounds like they did the delete for the chain pump situation i forget what its called. recently did timing belt and all that as well.

Haven't checked the cam would I need to get a valve cover gasket doing so?
Had a BEW so I imagine its a similar operation. I am fairly new to these TDI
s but ive also owned and loved a few of em....

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Thank you, that sunroof drain is new info! Did you do the delete? and if so did you notice a fair engine noise difference?

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Yeah I had a delete, manual swap and stage 2 tune done all at once, the engine isn't louder, but the sound is deeper. Slightly more vibration but very negligible/not even worth mentioning imo. I'm planning on doing a delete on another BHW, great engines once you get rid of that design flaw.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I did a BSM delete, with new motor mounts at the same time, and agree that the additional vibration is negligible. It does increase the oil sump capacity by about 1 qt.
My 05 is an one owner vehicle so I know something about long term care of these cars. Just attend to scheduled maintenance, e.g., fuel filters, oil + filter, and clean out the snow screen every 20K, clean the MAF sensor every 50K, and the transmission fluid every 60K. My car has been trouble free for ~75,000 miles.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a BSM delete, with new motor mounts at the same time, and agree that the additional vibration is negligible. It does increase the oil sump capacity by about 1 qt.
My 05 is an one owner vehicle so I know something about long term care of these cars. Just attend to scheduled maintenance, e.g., fuel filters, oil + filter, and clean out the snow screen every 20K, clean the MAF sensor every 50K, and the transmission fluid every 60K. My car has been trouble free for ~75,000 miles.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom...whats the Snow screen?

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
uhhh. whats OCI oh wait oil change interval is what thats gotta mean ya?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
OCI = oil change interval.
My OCI has been annual, or roughly 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.
5W-40 wt. 505.01 spec, usually a Castrol product purchased from the dealer or ID parts.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
well looks like i'll need to do a BSM delete here pretty soon....247K i imagine its got the geared upgrade. Unheard of for the chain to make it anywhere near this mileage right?

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
well looks like i'll need to do a BSM delete here pretty soon....247K i imagine its got the geared upgrade. Unheard of for the chain to make it anywhere near this mileage right?
If its got the gear set up leave it alone nice quiet and smooth !

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah but like a dummy I didnt remove the pan to make certain while doing the TC, couldn't do both with $ but im reading up on it and ill need to drain some Trans fluid! as well as re do some work I just finished lol. Ive also read the geared set up failing, but I really shouldn't risk it being A chain driven

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
I did the BSM delete at 200k. It had the original Chain Drive BSM. The only thing that failed on mine was the chain tensioner bracket broke.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
At 215k mine had the bsm with chain. Chain and tensioner were good, hex shaft was not, she was a ticking time bomb

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
So my kit came in and I didn't check it until I was ready to do it...turns out one of the parts I got was wrong So waiting on the right one....when removing the sealing flange from the front does the Compressor bracket have to be removed? where the AC Tensioner sits is right in the way of me removing that front engine cover....

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I never really gave it any thought but if one needs to find out if they have delete etc could you not when the oil is drained put an inspection camera in through the drain plug hole and have a look?

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Based on the MOGolf write-up you don't have to. I moved the compressor out of the way and removed the bracket when I did mine.

Last edited: