Fast clicking/ticking noise

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Lately, I've noticed that there's been a noticeable clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I hear it really clearly when driving by walls. It seems to get weaker as I slow down and disappears almost completely as I come to a stop (or maybe the clicks slow down enough that they can't be noticed). I have a brand new N75 and also did a vag test to see if the VNT actuator moves up and down, and it does. Traced all my vacuum lines and everything seems to be in order. Car idles steady, no shudder problems, car runs fine...for now.

Could it be coming from the N18 valve? Will the N18 click if it's going bad? I did the EGR delete via vagcom, will this cause it to click?

Or maybe it's coming from my injection pump? Does the ticking of a bad IP increase/decrease along with acceleration/deceleration, and disappear at idle?

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Which: "disappears almost completely" or "disappear at idle"?

Drive the car past the wall in gear, then again at the same speed in neutral engine idling, then once again at the same speed with the engine switched off, if you feel comfortable in doing that last one. Is the noise the same at the same road speed regardless of engine operating speed?
I'll bet it is.
Look into the drive line. Stone in the tire tread, failing C/V joint, loose wheel bolt, you know, the stuff that the magic of Vag-Com (and internet advisors) can't do for you.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I"ve had a friend who was getting tires replaced on his 06 Jetta and noticed a clicking noise as the wheels were turned.

Tell me if yours is doing that. I don't know if it's normal or not.

Anybody else hear that noise?

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Did a few runs and found that the clicking is not associated with engine speed, since I still heard the sound while coasting in neutral. I did however discover that the sound is louder when the brakes are applied. Checked my wheel lugs and all are tight.

dieselated

TDI
TDI-less at the moment
Crazy, I noticed the same from my Golf last week. I'm pretty sure that it might be related to a piece of debris that I ran over that was not visible in my rearview mirror after I passed it.
I had a chronic ticking problem on my 2.0 Golf gasser that I was never able to resolve (see sig)....

wildkitty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Just a heads up. VW has an issue with the signal stick. I had something similar to that happen to me and I had to change my signal stick. Some plastic part gets stuck and it makes your car sound like it's signaling rapidly (and sometimes slower). There's no real pattern to it (I tried to find one too).

Just something to look into.

strictlysmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
golf IV
check the tires might have ran over a nail or something. it happen to me thank god i found it before i went on a trip to the beach.