Jetta wagon in 2001

Autoguy

Veteran Member
According to Phil Teves who works at Scott VW in Rhode Island VW plans on selling the Jetta wagon in the U.S. for 2001, no trim level or model details were given. Their web site is www.scottvw.com good news for us wagon fans.

SlowSpeed

Veteran Member
WoW !!!!

Did anyone notice that this dealer shows TWO (2), hard-to-find silver Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed cars, in stock? I believe that at least one must be cloth interior.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Yep, I'll believe it when I see it; given a choice, I'd rather see the Golf Variant rather than the Jetta Variant as I prefer the headlight arrangement of the Golf over the Jetta.

Autoguy

Veteran Member
They both have cloth one with black the other with grey. In fact the car I got was from Scotts my dealer McDevit in Manchester traded one of his vechicles for a white Jetta gls tdi that Scotts VW had in stock.

gharrah73

Veteran Member
What's the difference between the Golf and the Golf Variant? Is there a web site I can visit to learn this?

-Greg

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
The variant is just the wagon version of the vehicle. The Golf variant looks about a foot longer than a GLS (4-door). You can probably find pictures by going to www.dogpile.com and searching for "golf variant." I have seen pictures at several european VW sites and there are reviews at dieselcar.com (if that's not the right URL try searching "diesel car").

------------------
2000 Golf GLS TDI

Osiris

Veteran Member
TDI
New Jetta, 1999, Black/Beige
Have you checked out the latest copy of European Car magazine? It was ABSOLUTELY the best read, to date. If you haven't seen it, go get one NOW.

First of all, it has my favorite wish list car of all time, the Porsche 911 Turbo (2001) and boy, did they love it. Second, they do a couple of reviews of the old BMW 2002 tii and 2002 turbo. They also have a comparo test of the VW Golf 1.8t vs the Honda Civic Si (It's a no-brainer who won that contest). The rag also interviews a couple of tuners to find out how they'd modify the VW (and Honda) if they only had $3000 to spend. I'll give you a hint, they didn't splurge on the motor. You should also see some of the radical mods those VW tuners did to their lovely Golf 1.8t's; like stuffing the venerable New Beetle 1.8t under the hood (yes, they are apparently different), or swapping the Golf 1.8t front-end with that of a Jetta (curious picture, but nice).

Now if all that isn't enough to convince you to buy that magazine, then the article about what types of modifications you should do to your turbo (yes, they mention the TDI) will send you to the stores promptly. This article covers guages, airflow, chips, intercoolers, exhaust. What a story.

What a magazine... (I think I'll renew) This magazine has changed my thinking about my Jetta TDI. I was going to chip the car first and worry about the other stuff later. Now, I am going to focus on the handling, airbox, exhaust to increase my power.

------------------

gharrah73

Veteran Member
I found a sweet photo of the Golf Variant on this page. Now I want one! This car looks sharp. That would be soooo cool if VW would offer this car in the US.

-Greg

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
A Jetta or Golf Variant would sell like hotcakes in this neck of the woods.

Bob Norris

Veteran Member
A Jetta wagon, with lots of cargo room and an inch more ground clearance than the sedan, would be worth buying on the spot...

[This message has been edited by Bob Norris (edited November 21, 2000).]

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ron, there's no difference in terms of exterior dimensions, but I think the Bora/Jetta Variant has a deeper (by about 1 inch) rear hatch floor, or something like that, so I suppose it might have marginally more cargo space. I dunno...me, I'd stand in front of the car and decide which face I liked better.

Oh, the other marketing difference would be available trim levels; it is generally thought that the Golf represents the "budget-minded" and the Jetta/Bora represents the working person's (fill in the blank upscale automobile)...

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Me too. I'd pay the premium VW would charge over the price of an Imprezza for either variant with the 150 hp TDI and 4-motion. (I considered an Impreza before I bought my Golf, but I hate all the cosmetic "Outback" stuff. Ultimately, I decided I wanted the Golf's equipment, fit and finish and TDI economy more than AWD).

------------------
2000 Golf GLS TDI

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
Dream on BOYS!! Never happen. Not enough volume and too expensive to certify for the EPA and the Canadian Government.
Be glad we have Jetta and Golf TDI's in this North American Gotta have a Suburban/excursion to be cool landscape. Times will only change when fuel hits 3 bucks a gallon. I like it this way. I dont see a TDI on every corner. SUV's are COMMON!!!

------------------
TDIsmokin
Claude

I am an elitist. I drive a TDI!!

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
When a Canadian can say that TDIs are not very common, I can rest assured that we in the USA have a pretty rare car!

Bob Norris

Veteran Member
It may be a vain hope, but it would be nice to see the TDI available in a wider range of models. Most of us don't need an SUV, but having a TDI that could handle primitive roads with ease would be great.

jmclain

Veteran Member
Nobody builds a wagon like VW. They are the sharpest wagons in the world, bar none. I love the Passat wagon, and these pix are the first I've seen of the other models. NICE.

Give me a Jetta Wagon GLS TDI with 4Motion, and I would likely become a wagon owner.

These are SHARP.