www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 29th, 2017, 18:33   #16
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_VWPassat View Post
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement? I bought my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium brand new from Volkswagen in 2013. Paid 36K. Why shouldn't I be entitled just like everyone else? Penalize anyone who tuned their car... I thought that was what this site was all about.

I guess I'll wait to see if anyone on this forum has received the emissions fix payout with a modded car..... (in the meantime I will NOT be ripping off the new CR190 turbos or putting the DPF and ad blu back on, LOL)
"-what this site was all about?" You mean you thought this site was about removing emissions equipment from your car? Yes, there are people who contribute to this site who have done that. No, AFAIK TDI Club does not now and has never endorsed such activity. I fail to see how you could have possibly concluded that you could collect settlement money for a "tuned" car. You want to drive it the way it is, go for it. Just abandon any hope you're getting a cent from VW.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 19:16   #17
jw4free

Sometimes I dream about having my cake and eating it too, but then I realize it's in my belly and then a day later I don't have it.
Old June 29th, 2017, 20:10   #18
jw4free

You can't get cheat money and be a cheater too. Or well, maybe you can, I just haven't heard about it.
Old June 30th, 2017, 02:18   #19
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Worst case scenario: The dealership notifies the authorities of your illegal emissions modifications, and you get slapped with a massive fine. Plus no fix money.
And they could have the EPA go after the shop that did the install. I think this is a stretch, but it has happened. That's what I'd worry about.
Old June 30th, 2017, 02:29   #20
xjay1337
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement? I bought my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium brand new from Volkswagen in 2013. Paid 36K. Why shouldn't I be entitled just like everyone else? Penalize anyone who tuned their car... I thought that was what this site was all about.

I guess I'll wait to see if anyone on this forum has received the emissions fix payout with a modded car..... (in the meantime I will NOT be ripping off the new CR190 turbos or putting the DPF and ad blu back on, LOL)

You must be joking..

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 340hp 625nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3 Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:36   #21
740GLE
Veteran Member

nahh he's from Jersey, you would't understand.

Isn't tampering with federal mandated emissions equipment a 10K fine if the fed catch you? I bet VW would love to see others suffer the same punishment they are receiving.

Granted the Feds never catch anyone and the state regulators could care less.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:36   #22
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:

OK back to reality. Has anyone taken their Passat in for the "fix" with a DPF delete, Malone tune, and/or turbo upgrade? I don't think there is any rule that you can't get the fix on a modified car. I know that a bunch of dash lights will come on when they flash the ECU back to stock with a DPF delete and turbo upgrade. But so be it.
You'll be the first. Let us know how it goes.

I expect them to present you with a quote to bring your car back into mechanically stock condition before they'll apply the software fix. Without the required hardware, the software fix will result in numerous DTCs and smoke (unburned fuel) out of the exhaust in various operating conditions (initial warm-up, DPF regeneration, etc.).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; June 30th, 2017 at 08:40.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 11:33   #23
NJ_VWPassat

The Stage 3 Malone tune with the upgraded CR190 turbos, DPF delete, high flow cats, etc, is awesome. I don't regret it one bit. It's like driving a whole different car.

Hindsight is 20/20. I certainly didn't know about the whole settlement thing or how it would be when I did the tune 1 1/2 years ago. In the meantime I'm sure more info will surface on the forum if anyone with a tuned car gets the money back for the emissions fix....

If I don't get the money then so be it. I love the car after the mods. Cheers to all the "cheaters" out there who tuned their car and love driving it
NJ_VWPassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 17:04   #24
j2112morris

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

"The Fix" is a software flash, but that is only Stage 1 with a 66% payout. The final 34% come with a hardware fix, including installing things you've already removed. If you have a Flashzilla, there should not be an issue with refreshing your car after the software fix.

To my knowledge, I am 95% confident, Malone clearly states the Stage 3 is for "Off Road use only." That said, it is your car. You SHOULD have every right to modify YOUR care the way YOU want as you accept any punishment from not adhering to the law.

If it were me, I would wait until the stage 2 was ready and, in the meantime, visit some local dealerships for oil changes and such, build relationships, and find one that is not going to call you out and your mods and just do what they are paid to do. The dealership IS NOT the EPA but VWoA might have some stipulations many of us are not aware of because we've not gone as far as you have.

Please keep us posted.

Drive safe.
j2112morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 17:10   #25
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112morris View Post
To my knowledge, I am 95% confident, Malone clearly states the Stage 3 is for "Off Road use only." That said, it is your car. You SHOULD have every right to modify YOUR care the way YOU want as you accept any punishment from not adhering to the law.
And you do have that right. What you do *NOT* have is the right to drive it on a public roadway in that condition . . . hence the (correct) term: "Off road only"!
tadawson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 04:58   #26
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112morris View Post
"The Fix" is a software flash, but that is only Stage 1 with a 66% payout. The final 34% come with a hardware fix, including installing things you've already removed.
I thought that was the payment scheme for the '15s where as the 12-14 were one lump sum check as there was no phase 2 for the gen 2 cars.

Eitherway, best of luck to the OP and I can only imagine how great of a ride it is.

I actually have a flashzilla with stage 2 for the '15 Passat but am reluctant installing it and prob will until we have phase 2 complete on it just because of any issues with the dealer may pop up, yeah i know there is such a small chance if i brought it back to stock before phase 2 but still.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:41   #27
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Worst case scenario: The dealership notifies the authorities of your illegal emissions modifications, and you get slapped with a massive fine. Plus no fix money. More likely they will insist on returning the car to stock(they'll want a brand new dpf, not your old one), eating up a sizeable chunk of the money.
Additionally I believe the insurance companies frown on such power modifications as well. They find out, either look for another insurer or expect the premium to go sky high !
If you keep your nose clean it would be highly unlikely they find out. But as turbobrick240 implies, this could go a long way through the various systems.

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 04:35   #28
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement?
SERIOUSLY? You've modified your (tampered with) federally required emissions equipment (essentially what VW did)......and you STILL want to be compensated?

No you won't beat this.........
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 04:47   #29
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Stage 3 Malone tune with the upgraded CR190 turbos, DPF delete, high flow cats, etc, is awesome. I don't regret it one bit. It's like driving a whole different car.

Hindsight is 20/20. I certainly didn't know about the whole settlement thing or how it would be when I did the tune 1 1/2 years ago. In the meantime I'm sure more info will surface on the forum if anyone with a tuned car gets the money back for the emissions fix....

If I don't get the money then so be it. I love the car after the mods. Cheers to all the "cheaters" out there who tuned their car and love driving it
Don't hold your breath. While some here feel the dealership "isn't the EPA", they ARE responsible for complying with federally mandated rules.

I'll bet VAG, being fully aware of after-market mods, is analyzing every car that comes in, making certain of compliance. That's WHY the cars are coming back!!! There will undoubtedly be exceptions, but you won't be reading about them here.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 05:05   #30
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
I don't think there is any rule that you can't get the fix on a modified car.
Yes, there is. When the car leaves the VW dealership after the emissions fix, it is to be in fully emissions compliant condition. VW is responsible for the "fix" part of it. If additional parts or labour are required in order for the vehicle to be emissions compliant (e.g. due to modifications), the owner is responsible for paying for that. It's in the documentation that VW sent out to people eligible for the fix.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote