www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 28th, 2017, 16:20   #1
NJ_VWPassat

Default VW Emissions fix on Passat with Malone CR190 Turbo upgrade Stage 3 tune

I had German Diesel Motorwerks out in PA install a CR190 Turbo upgrade and Malone Stage 3 tune on my 2013 Passat.

I opted for the emissions fix and settlement amount. Volkswagen owes me approx. $8000.

They said I have to bring the car in and get the emissions fix done in order to get my money.

I really don't want them messing with my ECU or tune. I was told to buy a spare ECU on Ebay and then take the car in and have them flash it. Then swap out the ECU.

What's the best way to get the emissions fix done? I just want my $8000 from Volkswagen.

Do you know if I get the full settlement amount after the emissions fix? Or do they just pay a partial amount? I'm hearing they only have a partial fix that is done via ECU software change.... and people are only getting part of their total settlement amount, but are still waiting on a hardware fix to the emissions equipment.

FYI- I removed the DPF and other stuff on the Turbo upgrade.
NJ_VWPassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 18:10   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Pretty unlikely they'll not notice the delete. Might be worth a shot though.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 19:59   #3
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

NJ VWPassat: You've got quite a scheme going. Hindsight on this is too easy: should have waited for the emissions fix before doing all your illegal deletes.
I'm certain the dealer is required to follow the law, and they're probably a lot more savvy, after the whole diesel emissions debacle.
To quite Hans Solo, "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 21:04   #4
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

If the manual trans fix comes through I'm in the same boat. I'm sure they'll start the car after the tune and if any of the sensors are unplugged it will throw a check engine light immediately. I might play with mine with the stock tune and my flashzilla if a fix becomes available for mine and see if I can get it to not throw a light immediately. Just long enough for them to pull it outside. I would probably throw the top dpf on that bolts to the turbo for looks also
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin - GONE TO BUYBACK
767wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 21:28   #5
tadawson
Veteran Member

2013 is single stage, software only, so should be a one time payout. Only the 2015's have component replace/refresh in the future as a part of the plan.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 05:09   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

Have German Diesel Motorwerks out in PA toss on the orginal equipment, tune back to stock, take it in get the fix get your money, head back to Motorwerks put it back to awesome.

Motorwerks will be able to make a few boat payments or two with the amount of time and effort this will take, but you should still come out a head.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 07:44   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, putting it back to stock is the best way to guarantee success. I've done even more mods (cp3) to mine, and the hassle of putting it back to stock just isn't worthwhile for me. So I'll just make do with the $1350 in consolation prizes.
Old June 29th, 2017, 11:32   #8
NJ_VWPassat

You guys are hilarious. Yeah I'm going to drive 3 hrs out and 3 hrs back from NJ to the middle of PA, then pay German Diesel Motorwerks to put it back to stock..... take it to the dealer in NJ for the fix... then do the 6 hr round trip drive again, and then pay them another few grand to re-tune. Makes a lot of sense

OK back to reality. Has anyone taken their Passat in for the "fix" with a DPF delete, Malone tune, and/or turbo upgrade? I don't think there is any rule that you can't get the fix on a modified car. I know that a bunch of dash lights will come on when they flash the ECU back to stock with a DPF delete and turbo upgrade. But so be it.
Old June 29th, 2017, 11:57   #9
roni024
Veteran Member

Well, even if you spend 16 hours back and forth to get un- and then re- modded you'll still make $8000 / 16 hours = $500/hr.

Sign me up!
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:19   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I'd assume that when you decided to delete the emissions system you forfeited the fix compensation. You could give it a shot, but I doubt you'll be successful.
Old June 29th, 2017, 15:15   #11
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_VWPassat View Post
I know that a bunch of dash lights will come on when they flash the ECU back to stock with a DPF delete and turbo upgrade. But so be it.
I seriously suspect that this fact will prevent them from releasing the car back to you and/or paying you any money. The "payment" is contingent on successfully completing the required modification(s). If your dash lights up like a Christmas tree with a check engine and other lights, your car has not been successfully "fixed" and I doubt that you will get anything from VW. You might not even get your car back. If you really want to keep your car, ignore the fix and be happy with the $1350 as stated above. If they reflash your ECU back to stock with no emissions system - I hope you like "limp mode". It will probably be more than just a couple of lights on your dash.

Have Fun!

Don
Old June 29th, 2017, 16:20   #12
therabbittree
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B4 passat

Put the parts back on for dealer trip. Id do it yourself. I would want till both fixes are avail and do both at same time next year. Then delete and reload your old tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 29th, 2017, 16:44   #13
NJ_VWPassat

Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement? I bought my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium brand new from Volkswagen in 2013. Paid 36K. Why shouldn't I be entitled just like everyone else? Penalize anyone who tuned their car... I thought that was what this site was all about.

I guess I'll wait to see if anyone on this forum has received the emissions fix payout with a modded car..... (in the meantime I will NOT be ripping off the new CR190 turbos or putting the DPF and ad blu back on, LOL)
Old June 29th, 2017, 17:12   #14
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_VWPassat View Post
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement?
Correct! The settlement is about meeting (or cheating on) emissions standards - not about compensating owners. If the car cannot meet the required emissions standards after the "fix", there is no settlement. The whole idea of the settlement is to punish VW for cheating on emissions. Now you expect VW to pay you for also cheating on emissions. Good luck on that one.

Have Fun!

Don
Old June 29th, 2017, 17:51   #15
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Worst case scenario: The dealership notifies the authorities of your illegal emissions modifications, and you get slapped with a massive fine. Plus no fix money. More likely they will insist on returning the car to stock(they'll want a brand new dpf, not your old one), eating up a sizeable chunk of the money.

Last edited by turbobrick240; June 29th, 2017 at 17:54.