www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 27th, 2017, 13:06   #1
Skimax
Veteran Member

Default oil light

After driving our new 2015 SEL for a month + the yellow oil light started flashing occasionally. I pulled over asap and checked the dipstick, plenty of oil. Also a message that oil needed to be changed appeared on the MFD at every start after the light started randomly flashing.

I called the dealership and they said it was OK to drive so I brought it in today at their request. They diagnosed the problem as too much oil, it was a bit above the hatched area on the dipstick. So they changed the oil and filter, reset the message and sent me on my way. The oil/filter had been changed at 120 miles when we bought it and the service writer said the tech had overfilled it. Strange thing was for the 1st 1000 miles the light/massage didn't appear. Oh well seemed fine on the way home.
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:04   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

"Too much oil" seems to be pretty common on the 2015 engines. I suspect that the engine oil level increases gradually over time due to fuel dilution, which is why VW added the level sensor that reports both low and high oil levels.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:05   #3
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
"Too much oil" seems to be pretty common on the 2015 engines. I suspect that the engine oil level increases gradually over time due to fuel dilution, which is why VW added the level sensor that reports both low and high oil levels.
I have never experienced this problem in 2 years....and I look at the stick often...only had to add oil 1 time between changes just had the 40 K done a couple weeks ago
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 16:34   #4
Skimax
Veteran Member

Quote:

As I recall he level when we got the car after driving it home was just above the hatch marks. Obviously fuel dilution isn't desirable and perhaps it caused the light to come on.

In 3 weeks I'll be driving it to Oshkosh for AirVenture across Ontario into the UP of Michigan and then down to Wisconsin. I hope no issues.

Thankfully we have the 11Y 162K warranty on it.
Old June 29th, 2017, 08:16   #5
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimax View Post
As I recall he level when we got the car after driving it home was just above the hatch marks. Obviously fuel dilution isn't desirable and perhaps it caused the light to come on.

In 3 weeks I'll be driving it to Oshkosh for AirVenture across Ontario into the UP of Michigan and then down to Wisconsin. I hope no issues.

Thankfully we have the 11Y 162K warranty on it.
I think having the oil filled to the very top of the hash marks leaves very little wiggle room for fuel dilution. Best practice would be to make sure it's only half way up the hash marks after an oil change, allowing for a few ounces of fuel dilution before tripping the "too full" warning.

Old June 29th, 2017, 10:45   #6
rustycat
Veteran Member

After the comments on this thread I did some Googling on diesel in engine oil with the EA288. Found not much, but, it did seem to me that there was some evidence that Biofuel/ or higher percentage of biofuel might have a higher propensity to dilute engine oil.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:41   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Biofuel will definitely increase the rate of fuel dilution, even in small percentages (B10, for example).

Old June 30th, 2017, 12:15   #8
Skimax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Biofuel will definitely increase the rate of fuel dilution, even in small percentages (B10, for example).

Where we buy our fuel nothing is posted about it being bio-diesel.
Old June 30th, 2017, 18:02   #9
tadawson
Veteran Member

The issue is that bio vaproizes at a higher temp, not that more gets into the oil. Normal diesel will vaporize at operating temps, and gets pulled out via the vapor recovery system . . . bio takes more heat and time, although it will come out if your driving habits are long runs at temp. Stop and go definitely can aggravate the problem with bio . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 09:43   #10
Skimax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
The issue is that bio vaproizes at a higher temp, not that more gets into the oil. Normal diesel will vaporize at operating temps, and gets pulled out via the vapor recovery system . . . bio takes more heat and time, although it will come out if your driving habits are long runs at temp. Stop and go definitely can aggravate the problem with bio . . .

interesting, thanks for the info. We use our eGolf for all local short trips. The diesel gets used on trips longer then 80 miles.
Old July 1st, 2017, 09:52   #11
tadawson
Veteran Member

Yeah . . . a lot of folks report oil dilution on the Cummins 6.7l turbodiesels as well (same basic emission strategy with post-injection to fire the DPF) . . . . either I am particularly lucky, have a really 'tight' engine, or can verify the above. I do mostly open road, and on long cross country trips, running whatever flavor of diesel/bio is on the route, and oil analysis shows undetectable dilution at change . . . the one time I did a lot of local driving, I did see a bit . . . ironically with a lower bio percentage . . . This is one of the things that the CCV system on a diesel handles that is often overlooked . . .
Old July 1st, 2017, 10:17   #12
Rico567
Veteran Member

Our gas stations here in Central IL have clear signs on the pumps: "Contains 5-20% Biodiesel." We will have owned our Passat TDI 4 years next week, and the oil level has been rock steady that whole time, and I check it regularly. Is it because I get a minimal amount? Do I have one of those "tight" engines? I dunno, i just fuel up at the same station (Thornton's) most of the time.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 12:32   #13
rustycat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
Our gas stations here in Central IL have clear signs on the pumps: "Contains 5-20% Biodiesel." We will have owned our Passat TDI 4 years next week, and the oil level has been rock steady that whole time, and I check it regularly. Is it because I get a minimal amount? Do I have one of those "tight" engines? I dunno, i just fuel up at the same station (Thornton's) most of the time.
Yup, our 13 was rock steady on the oil level as well, guess we'll see if the EA288 behaves differently. Again, I couldn't find anything really pointing to an oil dillution characteristic associated with the EA288 while Googling.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 17:48   #14
mejpassat

Hmmm....my 2001 tdi (190K and my 2014 tdi (45K) never had issues with rising oil levels.
Is this an old wives tale or something?
Old July 1st, 2017, 21:39   #15
tadawson
Veteran Member

It can happen, but more typically with short hop/not up to temp much driving habits. The late injection for the DPF is not burned inthe cylinder, and some can get past the rings. It's not unique to the TDI either . . . and, as noted, I've not had a problem with it in any of my diesels to date either.