www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 21:05   #1
Fastbird
Veteran Member

Default Bought into a "smoke and mirrors" car cleaner/wax/whatever

and I'm actually kind of impressed.

As a background, I have the tools and materials to do a mild cut and polish, and have been a devout "Zaino" user for a decade on my "toy" cars, and nicer drivers. I've used a numerous amount of different stuff, but always stuck with Zaino in the end due to the outcome. For my baby (my twin turbo C5 Corvette) that's not changing, but for my daily 2012 Passat TDI, that is changing.

Chadwicks Triple Play. If you look it up and watch the videos, it screams smoke and mirrors. However, some guys over on the Corvette Forum started buying into it, and I was looking for a quicker solution for keeping my Passat clean. At 120K miles, the better I take care of it, the longer it's going to last. Problem is I don't have tons of time to constantly be washing, waxing, polishing every so often, etc. So after a long thread recently over there with some new feedback, I decided to jump in.

Did it to my car a couple of days ago. Very simple application and initial response is "there's no effing way I'm doing that." Personally, depend on how dirty it is, I would or wouldn't wash it before hand. My car had just been washed at the dealership the day before so it was relatively clean. So I did the wipe down, used the buffer block (like a claybar), then the reapplication and hand buff. Did the entire car to include wheels, glass, front grille, chrome, etc. Pics speak for themselves:

Not the best, I had just gotten to work. Not bad for 121K miles though. The paint is buttery smooth, fingerprints you have to smash and hold even to get a smudge. The shine is unreal and supposed to get better as you add further applications.

Now the coup de grace for me was driving home early this morning after getting off work. It sat out in the rain, and I drove home in the rain.

The only place any dirt managed to stick was the rear quarters behind the tires and the backside of the car. And it literally blows off. All I had to do was run a california car duster over it. Best part was after parking, there was residual water on the car. ZERO water spots.

The car looks better than when I bought it two years ago, and the only thing I'm uncertain about at this point is longevity. But, I have plenty left to reapply as it's a "waterless car wash" type of deal, and keeping the car clean appears to be a far less time consuming affair now, which is the biggest plus for me.

Just thought I'd share. I rarely buy into the smoke and mirrors stuff, and this was one of those times that there was enough positive feedback for me to try it, and I'm glad I did. I have been nothing but pleased with the results.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 21:43   #2
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

looks great, but whey is your rotor, caliper and the 2 bolts in the fender well's showing rust
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:23   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
looks great, but whey is your rotor, caliper and the 2 bolts in the fender well's showing rust
Car just sits and gets cleaned, not driven
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 16:31   #4
Fastbird
Veteran Member

Because I draw the detailing line at the wheel. Clean rotors and calipers on a daily? please, lol.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote