www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 25th, 2017, 13:10   #16
compu_85
Gadget Guy

You can memorize the mirror and seat positions to one of the memory buttons, and you can connect a remote to one of the memory buttons. If you change the settings stored "in" that button, it will still be connected to the remote.

I recall seeing a method to un-pair a remote from a memory button in our Touareg's manual. I can look it up if needed.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 13:36   #17
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
I am not sure if the fobs "duel" with each other in this scenario. (I'm the only one who drives my Passat SEL and am only one with a fob so... )

Anyway, fob range seems limited. Once I had it parked with the driver's window down and wanted to lower the passenger front door window which was closed so I leaned thru the open window to press the 'Start' button to activate the 'accessory' position. I immediately got a message on the MFA display that my key was not in range. Once I got in and sat in the driver's seat then the fob enabled the 'accessory' position so the range seems tailored to a seated driver in this case.

Now I know my fob will also lock/unlock the car from the front passenger door. Unknown to me is how a person by each front door both with a fob programmed to that car is which fob it goes off of? I suspect whoever's fob is in range first and unlocks the door gets the nod so seats/mirrors will change to match that fob's settings. Perhaps that's what happened here?
The fob needs to be inside of the car to activate the ignition. If it's outside of the car (you leaning in the window with the fob in your pocket), it won't work. That isn't a range issue, but rather how it is designed.

And yes, if person A is on the driver's side and person B is on the passenger's side, both with their respective fobs in their pockets, if person B touches the door handle first, the car will recall B's settings. All setting recalls are done based on which key unlocks the car. If the passenger gets antsy and unlocks the car first, the car recalls the passenger's settings. (This explains tdiatlast's earlier posts, but does not explain the OP's problem, which I believe to be some sort of bug).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; June 25th, 2017 at 13:38.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 14:31   #18
dbias
Veteran Member

My 2017 A4, the replacement for my 2015 passat tdihas had one glitch with the fob memory settings. After about a month when I would open the door it would go to my wife's settings, her being no where around, and I would push the 1 button for my settings and my seat and mirrors would go to my presets AND the drivers side rear window would roll down one inch. After about a week of this I got both fobs and started over from scratch and no problems since.
I also have to take my fob out of my pocket and put it in the house to wash the car as it will lock/unlock every time I wash one of the door handles or spray water on one if the fob is in my pocket
dbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 16:29   #19
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
The fob needs to be inside of the car to activate the ignition. If it's outside of the car (you leaning in the window with the fob in your pocket), it won't work. That isn't a range issue, but rather how it is designed.

And yes, if person A is on the driver's side and person B is on the passenger's side, both with their respective fobs in their pockets, if person B touches the door handle first, the car will recall B's settings. All setting recalls are done based on which key unlocks the car. If the passenger gets antsy and unlocks the car first, the car recalls the passenger's settings. (This explains tdiatlast's earlier posts, but does not explain the OP's problem, which I believe to be some sort of bug).
I find that to be incorrect on our 2013 Passat SEL. If my wife gets to the car first (but does not touch) and I touch the drivers door handle to unlock, I watch the seat promptly move to her settings. If she lets me get there first, I get mine . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 16:42   #20
compu_85
Gadget Guy

If she gets in the car first, isn't she the one unlocking it

-J
Old June 25th, 2017, 17:57   #21
tadawson
Veteran Member

Nope - I didn't say got in first. First to stand next to (but not touch) the door handle. I touch the drivers handle, but since her FOB was the first read, my unlock gets her settings (note, this is Kessy . . . so no buttons on any FOB pushed). To me, the unlock event is pulling the handle, and the point is, it doesn't necessarily use the FOB on the same side as the unlock to authorize . . .
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:36   #22
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Ah got it. The car can tell which key is next to which handle, that sounds like a software bug to me

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:22   #23
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
Ah got it. The car can tell which key is next to which handle, that sounds like a software bug to me

-J
I think that should be "can't", no? I have not got bored enough to test to see if it's the same on the 2015 . . .
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:42   #24
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbias View Post
My 2017 A4, the replacement for my 2015 passat tdihas had one glitch with the fob memory settings. After about a month when I would open the door it would go to my wife's settings, her being no where around, and I would push the 1 button for my settings and my seat and mirrors would go to my presets AND the drivers side rear window would roll down one inch. After about a week of this I got both fobs and started over from scratch and no problems since.
I also have to take my fob out of my pocket and put it in the house to wash the car as it will lock/unlock every time I wash one of the door handles or spray water on one if the fob is in my pocket
Just leave the key in the car. Had the same issue with me Passat. Doors will not lock with keys in car.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:12   #25
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

That is interesting, Tim. The car definitely knows where the fob is, so I'm very surprised that it goes to her setting when you touch your door handle. Lax programming from the software engineers.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:00   #26
tadawson
Veteran Member

Yeah, and it's not just occasionally - it's 100% reproduceable - the wife was screwing with me with it for a while, since she knew it pissed me off. If I lock/unlock on my side right afternit goes wrong, it goes to my setting, so it's def able to read both fobs . . .

I have not tried this, but I suspect that if only one fob is in play, that grabbing the handle on the opposite side may also allow unlock . . . made it more 'convienient', but induced this? (Possibly limited by unlock settings?) In any case, we have been used to it for years, so never tested . . . and thus never encountered in on the '15, since the habit is now solidly embedded . . .

Last edited by tadawson; June 27th, 2017 at 11:04.
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:01   #27
fredthe
Veteran Member

Back to the OP, yes my seat will sometimes move to a different position, and sometimes seems to re-program itself. Seems to happen more often when there are multiple keys around (we have 4) but I've had it happen when I'm solo, also.

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:11   #28
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthe View Post
Back to the OP, yes my seat will sometimes move to a different position, and sometimes seems to re-program itself. Seems to happen more often when there are multiple keys around (we have 4) but I've had it happen when I'm solo, also.
Good to know Iím not alone, and that itís most likely not something defective. Iíve never had more than one key near the car.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote