www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 17th, 2017, 16:14   #1
powerfool
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg
Default At How Many Miles Did You Refresh the Suspension?

I got my Jetta with a ton of miles on it already (180k), and the suspension was absolutely shot. I replaced it with what is in my signature at around 200k miles. My Passat that I got with 17 miles on it after my test drive now has nearly 70k miles on it. Suspensions are one of those things that is so gradual that you don't notice it if you drive the vehicle all of the time... it is just the way the vehicle drives.

I am just trying to plan for my suspension refresh and thinking of the Bilstein sets for the shocks and struts for it off of ID Parts.
Old June 18th, 2017, 15:21   #2
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

I just crossed 100k and have been thinking that once i get the first check i was going to go ahead and buy the Koni's. I absolutely loved that upgrade on my old jetta. I think i did that about the same as you, around 200k. But the passat floats so much around the two lane roads i'm on all the time that its really more of a want than a immediate need.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:03   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

One thing that is kind of small beans is a RSB, I tossed on on the '15 and it made a huge difference compared to the '12 with 80K on it.

I'm not sure if the dampeners are the same on the '12 SE vs the '15 SEL but the '12 with 80K has a Camry/buick float to it that isn't undrivable, but def not good.

BTW the RSB on the '12-'15 Passat is the exact same on on the MK5 and MK6 JSW, no need to pay extra for a different part number/differnt paint but same piece of high grade steel.

I got H&R bar as I loved it on the old jetta.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 11:20   #4
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg S, 42 mpg W

I used my loyalty money at 75k miles to subsidize Bilstein HDs and a rear H&R bar, kept stock springs. Car corners pretty well. In my experience most VWs are ready by 100k for a struts & shocks.
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:38   #5
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
One thing that is kind of small beans is a RSB, I tossed on on the '15 and it made a huge difference compared to the '12 with 80K on it.

I'm not sure if the dampeners are the same on the '12 SE vs the '15 SEL but the '12 with 80K has a Camry/buick float to it that isn't undrivable, but def not good.

BTW the RSB on the '12-'15 Passat is the exact same on on the MK5 and MK6 JSW, no need to pay extra for a different part number/differnt paint but same piece of high grade steel.

Hmmm... I recently updated to Conti DWS06's. Something seems a bit off. I can't really describe it. maybe a rear sway bar will fix it.
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:54   #6
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

I'm too old and give out to want Boy Racer handling, but I am a bit annoyed by how the Passat wallows. I don't want "stiffer" or "sharper", but better valving would be good. Sometimes it reminds me of a Buick. My old 2007 Accord has 250K miles and controls bumps better, though I did put Tokiko "Blues" on it at 100K. (Great shocks.)

As always I suspect the OEM dampers are crap.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:58   #7
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post

"Buick float...." Bingo! Nothing like an actual Buick, of course, which wallows around like a sinking tugboat, but it definitely tends in that direction.

Yet, paradoxically, the Passat's overall "ride quality" is more harsh than the Japanese competition. I'm willing to trade a pillowy ride for some handling, but the Passat seems to bring the worst of both worlds.

However, as a highway cruiser it's just fine. And I'm sure it's nothing that $$$ can't fix. My opinion is that it's mostly a matter of cheap shocks and some "lawyered-up" suspension settings. No rear sway bar is a big part of it. Lawyers are terrified of oversteer.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:14   #8
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

Have the KONI Yellow adjustable sport shocks on mine and am pretty happy since 100k.I just recently did H&R lowering springs and had to dial the dampening back all the way because of the increase in stiffness. I had a broken rear sway Bar link shortly after and thought it was the new setup at first but now everything is good
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin - GONE TO BUYBACK
767wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:49   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

We had a broken end link on the '12 with only 30K on it. Been fine since with 81K on it. The rear end is the same from the MK5, the added weight and extra width is probably pushing the limit of the components if the car is really "driven".
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote