www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 26th, 2017, 05:20   #16
740GLE
Veteran Member

As much as people love to hate CVTs I was very very happy with how it drove when we test drove an Outback in January. Great tip in, it was ready to jump off the line.

Still ended up with the alltrack thou.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:22   #17
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
As much as people love to hate CVTs I was very very happy with how it drove when we test drove an Outback in January. Great tip in, it was ready to jump off the line.

Still ended up with the alltrack thou.
Not a fan of the CVT in my mom's Legacy sedan. It's too jumpy off the line, making for some jerky starts, especially in reverse. Tight parking lot maneuvers can be tricky if you're not expecting it. I also don't like the fake gear steps that it does in drive, although I do like that it offers a 6-ratio manual mode, which is nice in the mountains.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:52   #18
pparks1
Veteran Member

My Honda CVT off the line isn't jumpy at all. I personally like the CVT, but if you stomp on it and expect rip roaring performance, you are going to be disappointed. Fortunately, I rarely, if ever, drive like that.
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
pparks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:16   #19
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

I have always detested the CVT, always reminded me of a single-speed propeller driven motorboat: hear it rev, strain, finally get up on plane...

I've become a fan of both the Avalon and FordCmax CVTs. Plenty of controlled power off the line, and both are plenty responsive to throttle input. Of course, seamless all the while...

However, keep in mind that at age 63, my automobile demands are very different than 20 years ago!! HAHA! (even threatening to cancel my AutoWeek subscription)
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:21   #20
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post

However, keep in mind that at age 63, my automobile demands are very different than 20 years ago!! HAHA! (even threatening to cancel my AutoWeek subscription)
Don't quit now, you've got another good ten years ahead of you. And if you are lucky, maybe 10 more after that.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:38   #21
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
<snip>
At ten years your senior, I can endorse this wholeheartedly. I sometimes think our years should be published along with name, ride, etc., simply because as one ages, these things inevitably change.
In one's twenties, it is possible to feel viscerally attached to a car (at least I think I remember it that way). At age 73, for the benefit of our younger forum members, it is emphatically NOT. There were several favorite stretches of road where I repeatedly risked life and limb a half-century ago; now, it seems as though it must have been an entirely different person who did those things I remember.
Also, at some age Mr. Arthritis comes to call, and there's just not as much of the "get out and get under" impulse as there was back in the day. These days, our cars get washed and detailed at a local establishment. I still do some light maintenance and repairs, but perhaps more out of sheer habit than anything. This past week, I performed the 60K service on our Passat, and after I'd done engine O&F, engine air, fuel, & compartment filters, I thought I'd had enough...and I still have the DEF tank to fill! In my younger days, I can recall overhauling the transmission on our riding mower in an unheated garage in the Winter, which in retrospect seems like severe OCD behavior, at the very least.

And, to write a coda to all this, I can no longer recall when I let my Car & Driver subscription lapse....but I do remember a time when my pulse ran quicker after reading David E. Davis' Turn Your Hymnals to 2002, a wonderful essay on what the phrase "driver's car" means.

Sic transit gloria mundi. Gloria can be a *****.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 15:07   #22
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Understanding Rico567's post above. I'm his age and STILL try to do the things I did way back when. Last winter, I replaced the suspension in my 2003 Jetta and felt it for weeks. My "A" has shown up for the dance, but I grin and bare it.

As part of my resurrecting my 1971 Super Beetle, I tore the meniscus in my right knee (not worth of telling how it happened). I had surgery last week and I don't think I will be kneeling on that knee for a few months. Now the Beetle will rest up for a while before I pull and rebuild the engine ......maybe.

On Car & Driver...my subscription ended when the good writers left over a decade ago. I still buy a copy when at the airport for plane reading. (Too many $150,000 car reviews though).
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 06:28   #23
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

OK I started this thread mentioning that based on a lot of test drives, the Ford Fusion was my favorite mid-sized sedan to replace the Passat. I turned in the Passat yesterday and had a little time to kill, so I test drove a 2016 Mazda6 Touring automatic. Maybe it is the ADD acting up, but I seriously like the way that car drives.

I had not considered it because of reports of them being noisy and rough riding. I'd call the ride firm, in a good way - but not rough, and I made sure to hit some awful roads to make sure I knew for sure. Hard for me, an non-car guy, to explain, but firm does not equal rough. As for noise, totally acceptable (I guess the 2016's are "25% quieter" than the prior model). Inside, much cooler/sportier than the Fusion and the Passat. And fully loaded, a top of the line 2016 Grand Touring is a fair amount less than a similarly equipped 2016 Fusion Hybrid.

For me, compared to the Fusion Hybrid, this car is only a few hundred dollars more a year for gas, if that. 32 mpg overall / 40mpg highway (Fusion is 41 mpg highway). Highway is most of my driving. Plus it has a 2.5 liter engine/no turbo, vs a complicated and potentially expensive Hybrid system. While the 2.5 is not a powerhouse, plenty good for my mostly mild-mannered driving.

Have to take the wife for a test drive, but I think I am now sold on the Mazda . Gaaaa, sometimes too many choices make it hard to decide. But something about this car just feels right. And prettier exterior than Fusion IMO.

Any thoughts on the Mazda 6?
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:27   #24
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

I'd recommend re-visiting the Avalon Hybrid Limited...used, of course. Every one of the cars you've listed has a compromise or two, but buying a 2-year-old Avalon means someone else has taken the depreciation hit, and you're getting more features (if they mean much to you!) than any of the others.
Compared to the driver-friendly Mazda, you might very well hate it, but you'd be getting a $45k car for the same price as the $32k +- for the Mazda, right?
Embarking on a 4k mile road trip tomorrow, DFW-DC, with 6 weeks in the Shenandoah region.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 17:36   #25
tncrom

So my replacement for my 2013 TDI manual Passat is a......2015 TDI Manual Passat. I'm letting VW buy my '13 and essentially rolling that money over to the 2015 which has a few more features, and 40K less miles. I just love the ride and drive feel of the TDI manual.
I'm afraid I'm hooked. So, one more day before I make the purchase.....

What are your thoughts? Mistake? ....or forehead slap "wish I'd done that too" ?

Thanks for your input. It's not too late to help me not screw up.

Chris
tncrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 19:39   #26
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

I don't think it is a mistake. That was on my short list too. I've only been a VW and a diesel owner for less than 2 years, and I tend to keep my cars a LONG time (sometimes a decade - no kidding). Once my clutch failed, I felt like I had to use it as an opportunity to try something else. I really enjoyed mine, and am sure I will miss it.
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 09:43   #27
tncrom

Thanks for you thoughts Trade Wind. I two am a fairly new TDI owner, and I too keep my cars forever....just sold a '98 Sienna that I purchased off the showroom floor - 19 years/330K miles! It "raised" two kids from car seats to becoming theirs at the end of it's life with us -- it could still take a lickin' at the end. Sold it for $425 to a fellow that will use it to chase storms. What a history that car has and will have. The bar was set quite high by Toyota.

Also,...I drove the Mazda 6....loved it. Just couldn't get a manual with any nice optional features. So I kicked it to the curb because of that. Nice car if you want an automatic though.

Last edited by tncrom; June 29th, 2017 at 09:45.
tncrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:16   #28
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
<snip>

Have to take the wife for a test drive, but I think I am now sold on the Mazda . Gaaaa, sometimes too many choices make it hard to decide. But something about this car just feels right. And prettier exterior than Fusion IMO.

Any thoughts on the Mazda 6?
The Mazda 6 keeps recurring as some people's choice to replace a Passat (and I haven't driven the Mazda yet), and it sounds good in many ways. But how do you find the overall room. One of the things that sold us on the Passat four years ago when we bought it is the spacious front seat, the real back seat with actual adult legroom, and the cavernous trunk. How would you rate the Mazda 6 in these areas?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:24   #29
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Only time will tell if buying a 2015 is a mistake or not. It all depends on vehicle reliability and how competently Volkswagen handles any necessary warranty repairs. Based on their track record over the past couple of decades, I don't have high expectations.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:27   #30
truman
Veteran Member

Too bad no 6 wagon for us
I wont drive anything but a wagon
Utiliy/versatiliy means a lot to me
Not interested in SUV however
truman is offline   Reply With Quote