www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 17th, 2017, 00:32   #1
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

Default Found my Passat Replacement

Wanted to keep my Passat, but clutch developed problems. I'll be turning it in in August. Over the last three weeks I have test driven six-seven different models of midsize sedans. Sonata, Accord, Camry, Malibu, Altima, etc. Hands-down, Ford Fusion hybrid is my favorite. We are vacationing in Hawaii, just completed a 160 mile trip from our hotel to Hana and back. Twisting roads, hills, stop and go like you wouldn't believe. 47.5 miles per gallon on regular unleaded gas, babying it like I usually do. With the diesel premium in my area, plus Adblue, I'd have to get well over 50 miles per gallon in my Passat to be equivalent. My lifetime average is 42. And the ride is fantastic, very quiet, good handling etc. I realize the mileage will drop down to mid-30s at 80 mph, but still, not bad at all, very comparable cost per mile to Passat, if not better. At least as reliable, according to consumer reports.

I'm sold. Will start looking for a good 2015-2016 Fusion hybrid soon.
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:18   #2
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

A friend had a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Driving several thousand miles with two fairly large (heavy) people and all their luggage and much of it mountainous driving he was royally ticked of with the lousy mileage he got.

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:42   #3
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Ford has an excellent hybrid system. Our CMax getting a solid 39mpg, c/h, plenty of torque, MUCH more linear than Prius. Not the driver's car of a VW, but good European handling.

Avalon Hybrid: still getting 38mpg, C/H, with a real trunk. We love it.

Problem with the Fusion hybrid: trunk space.

(The drive to Hana is amazing, isn't it?)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:32   #4
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

We test drove an Avalon too. I did like it. I think the Fusion beats it in handling and cornering, and it seems just as quiet. I don't claim to be a car guy, what do I know?

Fusion trunk space is definitely limited. But with an Explorer as my wife's car, we have a way to make any trip or situation work. Funny thing, she picked out that car after driving 6-7 three-row SUVs last year, including Honda and Toyota. Unintentionally, we will be a Ford family (with a beater Sierra pickup to boot.)

Hana - should be on everyone's bucket list. Any attempt by me to describe it can't do it justice. Breathtaking.

Last edited by Trade Wind; June 17th, 2017 at 10:42.
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 16:06   #5
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

We did the Hana drive 25 years ago. Wife had me pull over so she could throw up. I'll never forget that trip. Our two young daughters in the back seat went horizontal for most of the drive.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 22:19   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
We test drove an Avalon too. I did like it. I think the Fusion beats it in handling and cornering, and it seems just as quiet. I don't claim to be a car guy, what do I know?

Fusion trunk space is definitely limited. But with an Explorer as my wife's car, we have a way to make any trip or situation work. Funny thing, she picked out that car after driving 6-7 three-row SUVs last year, including Honda and Toyota. Unintentionally, we will be a Ford family (with a beater Sierra pickup to boot.)

Hana - should be on everyone's bucket list. Any attempt by me to describe it can't do it justice. Breathtaking.
No doubt the Fusion beats the Avalon in handling and cornering...it's smaller, and a better "drivers" car. I'd prefer it over the Avalon, but we need the trunk space. I'm not a fan of SUVs, will never own one.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:16   #7
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
No doubt the Fusion beats the Avalon in handling and cornering...it's smaller, and a better "drivers" car. I'd prefer it over the Avalon, but we need the trunk space. I'm not a fan of SUVs, will never own one.
All of this is true of us, too. At this point, absent a better option, we will almost certainly end up in a gas Passat -either the TSI or VR6- or something like the Volvo S90. The Jaguars are out because they're RWD.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:19   #8
rustycat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
We had an Avalon, which we traded in on the 2013 SEL we bought. The Avalon had no road feel and a lot of torque steering. Certainly in a different zip code than the Passat. Frankly, Avalon's current styling looks like it drove off a cliff onto a parking lot face first. The Japanese have such a wonderful cultural art sense, but when it comes to cars, seems they lose their styling way and lack the subtlety of their cultural artistic aesthetics.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:39   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
All of this is true of us, too. At this point, absent a better option, we will almost certainly end up in a gas Passat -either the TSI or VR6- or something like the Volvo S90. The Jaguars are out because they're RWD.

Yeah cause the price of Jags compared to the Passat doesn't play a factor in it?

RWD would be plus 100 in my book.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:57   #10
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycat View Post
We had an Avalon, which we traded in on the 2013 SEL we bought. The Avalon had no road feel and a lot of torque steering. Certainly in a different zip code than the Passat. Frankly, Avalon's current styling looks like it drove off a cliff onto a parking lot face first. The Japanese have such a wonderful cultural art sense, but when it comes to cars, seems they lose their styling way and lack the subtlety of their cultural artistic aesthetics.
Aesthetics always a matter of taste, gender, age differences.

What year Avalon did you trade? The 2013>>> suspension is vastly improved.

Different zip code, but still in the same county...HAHA!!!
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:00   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Yeah cause the price of Jags compared to the Passat doesn't play a factor in it?
RWD would be plus 100 in my book.
Price is a very big deal, true. That being said, it's not clear whether we can be happy in a gas Passat. We'll test drive both the 1.8 TSI and the VR6, since I'm not sure the 1.8 can deliver the performance we're used to in the TDI. I'd hate to toss that fuel efficiency out the window, but oh, well.
If the Passat won't cut it for us, the next choice would probably be the Volvo s90 or the Jagó both in the same price bracket. I wouldn't like that either, but there just aren't a lot of "driver's cars" out there in that size to choose from.....

I'm afraid, based on discussions I've had, that the RWD v. FWD issue is incommensurable, so not much point discussing it. And I find AWD silly and a lot of needless complexity, at least for us.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 00:41   #12
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

I have high hopes for the Mazda CX5 diesel. They're taking an interesting approach. They are making the engine as un-dieselly as they can. VERY low compression ratio. (Comparable to a high performance gasser.) Diesels run fine with low compression IF you can get them started. Mazda is handling that with extremely advanced injection and fast glow plugs.

Since the engine takes much less of a beating, due to the low compression, they are able to make everything about it lighter. So it's basically a gas engine that runs on diesel.

Sounds frighteningly like GM's approach back in the '70s except they didn't bother with technology. They just put high compression pistons in a small block V8 and added diesel injectors. Disaster. But if you think about it you don't need to build a diesel engine like a tank if it's not being violently smacked around by high compression, right?

I hope it works. If somebody offers a reasonably priced, midsize AWD crossover with a diesel I'm buying it. Somebody who knows how to build quality vehicles, anyway.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 00:43   #13
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
Price is a very big deal, true. That being said, it's not clear whether we can be happy in a gas Passat. We'll test drive both the 1.8 TSI and the VR6, since I'm not sure the 1.8 can deliver the performance we're used to in the TDI. I'd hate to toss that fuel efficiency out the window, but oh, well.
If the Passat won't cut it for us, the next choice would probably be the Volvo s90 or the Jagó both in the same price bracket. I wouldn't like that either, but there just aren't a lot of "driver's cars" out there in that size to choose from.....
I'm afraid, based on discussions I've had, that the RWD v. FWD issue is incommensurable, so not much point discussing it. And I find AWD silly and a lot of needless complexity, at least for us.
I drove a 2017 TSi for a week while they retrofitted my TDI. It's a great engine. Honestly more fun to drive than the TDI. I was having a good time. But the fuel economy isn't great if you play with the engine. Driven carefully it can be pretty impressive.

What I found odd was that I couldn't get anywhere near the same mileage out of it that my daughter gets with her 2017 TSi. And I was actually trying. I didn't have it long enough to explore the whys and wherefores.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:31   #14
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Find a used Audi 3.0 TDI. There's a really nice 2014 Q5 TDI Prestige S-Line on AutoTrader.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:37   #15
andydg
Veteran Member

Our Passat is being replaced by a Subaru Legacy. Drove one the other day and we were surprised by how quiet the cabin is at speed, and how well the cvt transmission works. Will miss the low end torque of the diesel and mileage.