www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 10th, 2017, 08:10   #16
DonC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

Two weeks after the fix on my 2013 TDI SEL. No problems, in fact, trans. shifts smoother than before the fix. Perhaps a slight mpg decrease but won't know until a longer trip.
DonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:17   #17
johnnyrotten

Fuel Economy: 40.2 OVERALL AVERAGE
Cool

I own a '14 Passat SEL with the CKRA engine in it and Had the fix done on June 26th. Received the check from VW for the full amount in one lump sum 29th by Fedex overnight!
Confused me a little as VW said it was a 2 part fix and I would get a percentage on the software update and the rest when the 2nd part of the fix happened.
Haven't really noticed any difference at all. 50k miles and lifetime average is 40.7MPG and trip mileage is around 42.5mpg. Been getting around 660miles per tank. Sometimes more sometimes less. And I usually fill up with 50 miles left.
The one thing that did happen was on our last road trip To Lake Havasu from Phoenix, on the way home we decided to take a cruise up to Oatman and then follow Rt. 66 for a ways. Everything good car always ran at 195 degrees straight up constantly, never varied up or down. When we got to Hackberry I noticed the CKE light came on and the water temp rose to the second line above 195 which I estimate to be around 225. Stopped and let her cool off tried to open coolant reservoir when she was hot(Stupid move)but was lucky and re sealed it before too much coolant escaped. When she cooled off she took 1.5 quarts water. The only thing I had. The rest of the ride home the temp rose to 225 and I shut A/C off until it cooled back to 195. Turned out there was a TSB on the heater core. Dealer replaced it at no charge.
Now I notice the temp rises to 234 according to my scan gauge and then cools back to 200.
Is this normal or is there something else involved here??
I'm ready to take her back to VW and have them do more diagnostics, but I would like to have some ammo when I do.
Any thoughts out there??
Sorry about the long story!
johnnyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 20:00   #18
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

After my heater core was replaced last fall, it took a few drive cycles (warmup, drive; shut down, cool off overnight) to get the coolant level stabilized. I too had to add water a couple of times to my reservoir bottle. It has long since stabilized.

Regarding the Emissions fix, I had mine done on the 6th of July and have a few hundred miles on it now since then.
I noticed no immediate changes on the way home from the dealership's service department. And over the past couple of weeks, I have determined it pretty much drives, sounds, accelerates, shifts and even seems to get the same fuel economy as before the update.

I'm glad I kept mine!

bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote