www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 16th, 2017, 18:50   #1
ekiM

TDI(s): 2012 Passat
Default Fix done. (So-far, nothing to see here.)

Got it done on Tuesday. Wife has been driving it all week with no complaints or any observations negative or positive whatsoever. I took it for a drive earlier today and seemed the same as when we got the earlier software update, which mainly softened some of the low temp boost characteristics. Still has the same torquey scoot at the bottom of every gearchange. Only thing I was relatively certain was different was more engine sound at low speed throttle transitions from accel to decel. Once a steady state was reached, it abated as quickly as it became notable.

Topped the tank off to check mileage: 39, which is on par with the 38 average she gets in her 90% city driving pattern. Going on a trip this weekend, hope to confirm similar mileage as we always get (low-mid 40's with a relatively heavy foot)
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 19:37   #2
Tyler_LBZ

Fuel Economy: 47 Hwy

Good to know, ours goes in next week for the "fix" among a couple other recall fixes.

Hoping mileage and power don't get worse, we shall see.
Old June 16th, 2017, 20:44   #3
jolvi1

Took wife's in Wednesday she didn't notice anything different. I put car in garage Thursday after her chores she did in town so all around town driving and MFI said 29.4 MPG average somewhat of a shock. Drove it today on 50 mile trip town and highway both back up to the 43.6 MPG range so not sure if it had to rethink itself or what but now all is good again. I know when I took it in they did the snowflap replacement but the NOX sensor was good so that was not needed. Our previous around town was in the 34-36 range so will keep track of that. I asked the dealer about the Gen 2 fix and he showed me his trip to Chicago and back on one that had been fixed and it averaged 46 at 80 MPH, I know our trip to Maine and down the east coast we never got below 44 thru the hills and such.
jolvi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 20:45   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Mine is going in Monday morning. Before I do, I'm going to take a couple of acceleration runs with a stopwatch and do it again after the fix.
No seat of the pants comparison.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 20:58   #5
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Why does everybody have to find something wrong? Stopwatch give me a break. If your car is1 tenth of a second slower @ 0 to 60 are you going to dump it. Do you want the car? What if when you purchased it, it was just like it is after the fix would you have purchased a Honda instead.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:12   #6
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Why does everybody have to find something wrong?<snip>.
There is a reason. Research "placebo effect."*

NB: I'm not saying any individual is hallucinating changes in their vehicle after getting the fix. I'm just sayin'.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:12   #7
roni024
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Mine is going in Monday morning. Before I do, I'm going to take a couple of acceleration runs with a stopwatch and do it again after the fix.
No seat of the pants comparison.
I'm curious to the outcome of your time trial. Please report your findings after. Thanks.
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:20   #8
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

took mine up a long 7% hill over the weekend, It used to hold 6th as I jumped in the left lane passing slow cars, now it shifts down to 4th @ 4400RPM and it seems to struggle more- and I had to smash it to the floor several times where as before it just rocketed up to 70 without a downshift and the MFI average was down in the teens... hmm
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG

Last edited by jrm; June 19th, 2017 at 11:23.
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:45   #9
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
I'm curious to the outcome of your time trial. Please report your findings after. Thanks.
Another post started yesterday with my first impression.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Old June 20th, 2017, 15:37   #10
ekiM

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Just drove ~630mi over the past few days, around 480 of which of which was on the PA turnpike... the rest was on curvy mountain roads that had the shifter slid to the right the majority of the time.

Mileage: Highway was around 40 going out, 44.x coming back. Lots of construction both ways and traffic on the way out. In the 6hrs or so on the PA turnpike, I never experienced a downshift on any grade while maintaining speed in 6th. The tank netted me 39.5 upon fillup... the remaining 150mi had a wildly disproportionate amount of WOT

Strangely enough, didn't notice a regen cycle the whole trip. I'm guessing it happened at speed, but never noted the crazy-speed fans we're used to... despite having the AC on the whole time.

Anyhow, good stuff: Hopefully increased DEF consumption is the only adverse effect.
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:42   #11
boomer1

Fuel Economy: Average 47.5 mpg in first 1300 miles

Just got my fix done this morning (June 21) and drove 50 miles back from the dealer. Observations: A little bit more "diesel" chatter with a bit more overall engine noise climbing hills, no noticeable loss of power (still went up steep hills in high gear), shift from third to fourth with the DSG occurs at slightly higher RPM than it used to. As far as mileage, it is hard to tell. I got stuck in a line of traffic with a flagman holding us up but it does not appear that there is a major drop in mileage that I can see. If I was buying this as a new car, I would be happy at the performance and driveability.
boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 14:40   #12
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

They accidentally sold me a "cheater" 2015 buy-back, and a week later had to take it back and do the Phase 1 fix. I notice no difference in drivability. I don't have enough data to compare fuel economy, but I can say that post-fix the fuel economy is phenomenal. I have zero complaints.

I'll probably accept the Phase 2 fix when it comes out and live with it until the warranty expires, then rip it all out.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 18:43   #13
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Powerwise there does not seem to be much differnce. But the one thing I have noticed though is that the "estimated" fuel range in the MFD has dropped dramatically. Not that the mileage there is accurate anyway.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 15:32   #14
boomer1

Fuel Economy: Average 47.5 mpg in first 1300 miles

Well, just finished a 550 mile trip from central PA to the Fairfax VA area. This included some periods of city driving in Fairfax. I filled up before leaving Fairfax and got 49.7 mpg (measured by fillup) on the way back. I drove at 65 mph the entire way. Before, a trip like this would have given me about 52-53 so I am seeing a small mileage penalty. But with the car on cruise, it ate every big hill it came to without once downshifting. So, all in all, not a real big deal. I did fill the DEF before I left and today when I got home; it is using about one milliliter per mile or a liter every thousand miles on a trip with mainly highway driving. I am not sure if this is any different from before.
boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 07:54   #15
UMRMiner98

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Had ours done a couple weeks ago. There is definetly more diesel sound and I will concur that that the mileage shown on the dash display has dropped dramatically. In our city/suburban driving it rarely shows more than 30 now when it would always show well over that before. My wife drives the car everyday so I don't have a real good comparison but she did say that it seems to drive a bit different. We still love the car and and if it annoys her I'll get a malone tune for it with the money I got for the fix. Only question is I wonder if the the DSG was reprogrammed. I don't really want to pay for the DSG and ECM tunes.
UMRMiner98 is offline   Reply With Quote