www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 14th, 2017, 13:59   #1
powerfool
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg
Default No air flow with air conditioner after a few miles

So, I have my 2014 Passat SE... it is a nearly 70k miles now. Last summer we started having an issue with the AC on a trip from Indy to Chicago, and then Chicago to Traverse City, MI, and then back to Indy. Longer drivers, for sure. It would blow cold, and then there was no air flow (everything was still running, including the fan). We let it sit when we got something to eat and we see a huge pool of water (the melted condensation).

We took it in to get serviced and it was low on refrigerant... which makes sense. They tried telling me that it is "normal" to have it low and that some gets "consumed" which is total BS. I told him if that were the case... some politicians would have taken all of our air conditioners by now. Anyhow... it worked fine for a couple of weeks and then started happening again. We took it back assuming they could find the leak this time because of the dye in the filled up refrigerant... and nope.

So, we got into winter time and I wasn't that worried about it because we weren't going to be driving much, but I was concerned about its ability to reduce the moisture when we had defrost on. We didn't have too many issues, though... I imagine that the heat kept it from freezing up and blocking the air flow.

Now that we are back in the warm weather, we took it back. This time... they say that they cannot reproduce it and that the refrigerant is fine. Anyone else have these issues? It isn't even intermittent for me... I can reproduce it pretty much every single time I drive over 10 miles.

Is it possible that the drain for the condensation could be clogged and that is causing an issue? Thanks!
Old June 14th, 2017, 14:09   #2
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfool View Post
So, I have my 2014 Passat SE... it is a nearly 70k miles now. Last summer we started having an issue with the AC on a trip from Indy to Chicago, and then Chicago to Traverse City, MI, and then back to Indy. Longer drivers, for sure. It would blow cold, and then there was no air flow (everything was still running, including the fan). We let it sit when we got something to eat and we see a huge pool of water (the melted condensation).
We took it in to get serviced and it was low on refrigerant... which makes sense. They tried telling me that it is "normal" to have it low and that some gets "consumed" which is total BS. I told him if that were the case... some politicians would have taken all of our air conditioners by now. Anyhow... it worked fine for a couple of weeks and then started happening again. We took it back assuming they could find the leak this time because of the dye in the filled up refrigerant... and nope.
So, we got into winter time and I wasn't that worried about it because we weren't going to be driving much, but I was concerned about its ability to reduce the moisture when we had defrost on. We didn't have too many issues, though... I imagine that the heat kept it from freezing up and blocking the air flow.
Now that we are back in the warm weather, we took it back. This time... they say that they cannot reproduce it and that the refrigerant is fine. Anyone else have these issues? It isn't even intermittent for me... I can reproduce it pretty much every single time I drive over 10 miles.
Is it possible that the drain for the condensation could be clogged and that is causing an issue? Thanks!
I wondering if the AC Coil is icing up. Maybe because of lack of airflow. When was the cabin air filter last changed?
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 15:06   #3
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Sounds like the drain is clogged...
You need to open it up...
If the coil is submerged, it gonna freeze...and stink.
Old June 14th, 2017, 16:17   #4
powerfool
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Sounds like the drain is clogged...
You need to open it up...
If the coil is submerged, it gonna freeze...and stink.
Yeah... that was my thought as of today.
Old June 14th, 2017, 16:17   #5
powerfool
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixb0y View Post
I wondering if the AC Coil is icing up. Maybe because of lack of airflow. When was the cabin air filter last changed?
It should have been at 60k miles... I let the dealer do the service and it is the last time.
Old June 15th, 2017, 09:25   #6
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Quote:
It should have been at 60k miles... I let the dealer do the service and it is the last time.
Here is how you can check the filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZx7mCpnr9M
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 10:19   #7
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah... that was my thought as of today.
But he says he sees a big puddle (didn't say where, though . . ) when it thaws. This is likelyy classic leak/undercharge, and I suspect that the dealer just blew him off the last time in, since with the newer systems, about the only way to verify charge is to recover/weigh/recharge . . . Pressures just won't cut it any more . . . nor will dyes in the charge, since you can't see everywhere. This needs to be tested with an electronic sniffer - those can detect leak rates under 1 oz per *year*!
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 15:50   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

You should be able to view the evaporator temperature in VCDS.

On the Climatronic system, it will regulate compressor load to prevent the evaporator from freezing. I don't know how the Climatic (manual) climate control system functions.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 19:06   #9
tadawson
Veteran Member

Evap temp isn't the issue - it's glide. The temp on an evaporator is fairly even with a proper charge, but with low charge, all evaporation (cooling) occurs in a small area near the inlet, which promptly freezes, allowing liquid refrigerant to travel farther into the evap, progessively freezing across is. Since the probe only reads one spot, no telling what you will see . . . Likely they would tend to read the outlet side, to ensure adequate refrigerant to cool the entire evap uniformly. If low, outlet likely stays warm, causing the compressor to run at max, and progressively freezing the rest (pretty much the same as a TXV, just controlling flow via the compressor, and not just a valve . . .).
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:23   #10
thundershorts
Veteran Member

If the outside humidity is high, and you are not running it in recirc mpde, the coils in the evaporator will freeze over with ice. if you turn off a/c for a few minutes it will thaw and airflow will be normal. to avoid this just run it in max which is recirc air only
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:33   #11
tadawson
Veteran Member

In 40+ years of AC use and work in multiple climates, I have *NEVER* found thst to be true with a properly working system! NEVER!
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:44   #12
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Thumbs up

Today, I learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Evap temp isn't the issue - it's glide. The temp on an evaporator is fairly even with a proper charge, but with low charge, all evaporation (cooling) occurs in a small area near the inlet, which promptly freezes, allowing liquid refrigerant to travel farther into the evap, progessively freezing across is. Since the probe only reads one spot, no telling what you will see . . . Likely they would tend to read the outlet side, to ensure adequate refrigerant to cool the entire evap uniformly. If low, outlet likely stays warm, causing the compressor to run at max, and progressively freezing the rest (pretty much the same as a TXV, just controlling flow via the compressor, and not just a valve . . .).
Thanks, Tim!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:27   #13
thundershorts
Veteran Member

As I said, turning off the ac for a couple minutes will thaw the ice blocking airflow if the evap coil is iced. Systems are most often designed bleeding hot air from the heater core in to eliminate this. I've seen this many times over the last 60 years and it usually only happens when humidity is very high. You can not recreate this in a shop situation, only in a driving situation. Just set it to max which cuts off most of the moist incoming outside air and it won't happen.
Old June 17th, 2017, 14:57   #14
powerfool
Veteran Member

What is the latest hardware for VCDS? Is there any iOS equivalent that I could load with a bluetooth device to monitor?

UPDATE: I see the Hex-Net device and VCDS-Mobile. I am actually surprised by the lack of a price different between the Professional and Enthusiast models of the Hex-Net... it is not very significant from a percentage perspective.

As an update, they said that my refrigerant was fine and they couldn't reproduce the issue... but, when I got it back yesterday, it was blowing really cold air. I don't buy it. The guy that mans the phone and scheduling at the service center for my dealer likes to blow a lot of smoke... I don't think I have had a single conversation with him that didn't include a fair amount of BS on his part. If/when this surfaces again, I will take it to another VW dealership (I have one closer to where I live now, anyhow).

On a side note, I had the fix done and the only thing I really notice is regen happening much more often.

Last edited by powerfool; June 17th, 2017 at 15:07.
powerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:49   #15
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
What is the latest hardware for VCDS? Is there any iOS equivalent that I could load with a bluetooth device to monitor?

<snip>
The latest hardware that incorporates VCDS is apparently the new HEX-V2 model, which I know nothing about, since I bought VCDS-Mobile before it came out. I bought VCDS-Mobile used, and it provides the full features of VCDS (as long as one has access to a wireless network while using it). I bought it, not because I use many of the more sophisticated features, but because most of the rest of the diagnostic units out there aren't very useful.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote