www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 8th, 2017, 07:46   #61
roni024
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
So, I am an hour into my road trip. My fuel mileage is abysmally low. Only showing tank endurance of 780 miles. Struggling to get over 44.4 average on the display. Car feels like it is struggling to maintain speed. Having to use a lot more throttle just to hold 65 miles per hour. Not very pleased right now.
What sort of elevation changes are you driving through? This weighs heavily on fuel economy. Also, are you driving into the wind or with it at your back?
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:18   #62
Tom in PT

Fuel Economy: 41 mpg in '05 ; up to 57 in '13

I took a road trip the day after the emissions fix on the same route in similar conditions with extra passenger and got around 52 mpg. My experience so far is minimal to no effect on mileage. I have noticed the go pedal feels ever so slightly different, like there is a teeny more resistance, but I can't explain it. But power is certainly there if demanded.
Tom in PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:45   #63
markm102

Got the fix on my 2013 Passat TDI SE. Took my usual commute today and engine performance seemed fine. Engine noise - mininmally louder - nothing to get worked up about. MPG's seemed comparable. Gas gauge was same movement as before. Still waiting for email re: payment. So that would be the final puzzle piece. All good for now.
markm102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:45   #64
Fastbird
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
What sort of elevation changes are you driving through? This weighs heavily on fuel economy. Also, are you driving into the wind or with it at your back?
Route 30 from Fort Wayne heading East. 65ish MPH, minimal elevation changes. Traveled this route before and traditionally show 53ish MPG on the display. Have SLOWLY crept up to about 47.7 to 47.9 mpg, but haven't broken 48 yet. Am in PA now on I80, 293 miles and 4:45 into the trip. Tank endurance fluctuating between 810 and 840 as trip average MPG moves. This is a BIG difference. Normally out on an extended road trip with a full tank I would be showing around 900 to 925 endurance. It simply feels like something is holding the car back and making it work harder.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 14:01   #65
mikew85120

Fuel Economy: 34-37 City 44 highway
Thumbs up 2014 Passat SE TDI

I contacted VWoA this morning and a lady talked me through the Chase payment screens. At the next screen, I input my Wells Fargo data and the transfer was started. It should take 2 - 3 days. The original email from Chase was vague as to re-routing the funds to my bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew85120 View Post
We had the fix yesterday, it is now 2238 hrs(1038 PM) I just received an email that my check is at Chase Bank. And at midnight the funds will be cancelled I do not have an account at Chase! NOW WHAT? You can bet I will be on the phone to VWoA first thing in the morning.
mikew85120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 18:07   #66
cj25

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Can we do the buy back if we have the fix done?? Having a hard time making decisions.
cj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 19:45   #67
tadawson
Veteran Member

Nope - one or the other, with possibly a few narrow exceptions (I forget the details) . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:58   #68
roni024
Veteran Member

One or the other. The only way you could get the fix and then sell back to VW is if there is a recurring fault due to the fix. This is denoted in the settlement docs as a Lemon Law clause.
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 20:24   #69
craigtdi

Anyone in Canada receive the fix yet? I have a 2014 passat tdi dsg. I have done my paperwork through the claims portal and I am keeping my car but they say there is still no approved emissions modification for my car. Yet the Canadian VW emissions info website says there is a fix and it is software only. I went to the dealer and they said it was a software and a hardware fix, and I would have to wait at least a year for the hardware.(keep in mind they also told me they have not done any 2012-2014's yet) I thought the hardware phase 2 was only for the 2015 passats. So then I called VW Canada and they don't seem to know anything either. If you have got this fix done in Canada please let me know the name of the dealer so I can call them. Seems like a lot of confusion between the claims portal, VW Canada, and actual dealers.
craigtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 12:42   #70
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter
Default Confusion at VW/Ricepoint/Dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtdi View Post
Anyone in Canada receive the fix yet? I have a 2014 passat tdi dsg. I have done my paperwork through the claims portal and I am keeping my car but they say there is still no approved emissions modification for my car. Yet the Canadian VW emissions info website says there is a fix and it is software only. I went to the dealer and they said it was a software and a hardware fix, and I would have to wait at least a year for the hardware.(keep in mind they also told me they have not done any 2012-2014's yet) I thought the hardware phase 2 was only for the 2015 passats. So then I called VW Canada and they don't seem to know anything either. If you have got this fix done in Canada please let me know the name of the dealer so I can call them. Seems like a lot of confusion between the claims portal, VW Canada, and actual dealers.
I am in the same boat. I'm keeping my Passat and have signed and sent in my signed offer letter and release. And received two emails shortly after.

The first saying : "Thank you for submitting your offer letter. Next, we will review your signed offer letter and release to ensure that you have provided all the necessary information to complete your acceptance of our offer. We will contact you regarding next steps after we have finished reviewing your offer letter and release."

Fine but then the second email said this:

"Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA approve a modification for your vehicle. Once a modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps."

WHAT? THE EPA HAS APPROVED A FIX???? ***?

So I called ricepoint and they said oh disregard the second email. ***? I mean get your stuff together!

So I. Called my dealer and they say thee same thing! That it will be. Two part fix first software then later hardware??? ***? I said not as far as I understand! So as far I can tell the canadian dealers DO NOT HAVE THE FIX YET. I assume that they will have once we get notice to book an appoointment at our dealer of choice. This is Bureaucracy at it's best. Quite a LOT of patience required. I'm going to complain to vw Canada about the misinformation. Steve ps I'll post when I hear something.

Last edited by Flyboy777; July 14th, 2017 at 13:19. Reason: Errors
Flyboy777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 13:29   #71
Flyboy777

Default I've registered a complaint

Quote:
Ok I called VW Canada to lodge a complaint against ricepoint and the dealers regarding misinformation surrounding the gen 2 fix. Originally they tried to say that it was a dealer and Ricepoint problem and I said NO These organizations REPRESENT You, FIX IT! So we will see if it gets me anywhere ..... probably not! But all I can do is try! Steve
Old July 14th, 2017, 19:45   #72
craigtdi

Thanks for the reply. It is crazy that the VW emissions info Canada website says that the fix is available yet the dealers and VW Canada seem to know nothing about it. There is a recall out for our cars for the emission fix but not sure if it is the same as the fix for the settlement. I will keep this forum posted if I get any new information as well. Very frustrated, this should be simple.
craigtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 14:26   #73
Flyboy777

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It is crazy that the VW emissions info Canada website says that the fix is available yet the dealers and VW Canada seem to know nothing about it. There is a recall out for our cars for the emission fix but not sure if it is the same as the fix for the settlement. I will keep this forum posted if I get any new information as well. Very frustrated, this should be simple.

Yes to delve further into it when I call VW and give them my VIN # they are able to pull up recalls and tell me IT DEFINITELY IS A SOFTWARE ONLY FIX! This is why I'm frustrated ricepoint and the dealerships don't seem to know/care what the fix is. This is I filed a complaint with the parent company .... VW FIX IT. It would be nice if all these people were on the same page. I do not respect the disorganization and am loosing confidence in VW.
Old July 21st, 2017, 13:38   #74
Flyboy777

Default I've booke my appointment for the emissions fix.

Quote:
I called ricepoint again today and they said a recall letter has been issued but I have not received it yet. I called my dealer In Orillia Ont and they have booked me in for the emissions fix and there are 2 other new recalls to be done as well. One for the air intake snow flap I believe and the other for a heat shield.

When I asked them this time what the emissions fix is they said it is just software for now but there may be a new DPF later.

I have one other issue, the CEL coming on intermittently for the NOX sensor which I expect will be on my nickel (1500$) and that has to be done before the recall can be done. So I'll have to spend 1500$ to get my 2650$ and the extended warrantee. Kind of burns my ass because the nox sensor is a known issue with it sooting up. I had a go at removing it but did not want to bugger it up so will leave that to the mechanic. I expect you will have a letter issued too for your car.
Old July 21st, 2017, 14:34   #75
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

I started the process in May. In June I spoke to someone in charge of the thing who happened to be at the dealer of my choice.

Through him I was able to take my car in for the Phase 1 fix on June 24th at 9:00am. Process to do the software update and an oil/filter change about 90 minutes.

On the claims website when you get all the choices of what buttons to push it says that you can expect to be paid within 2 weeks of getting the software done.

Well it has been 4 weeks now and no cheque. Called today and got the runaround for a while until I got one person who may have been more savvy. I was told that the approval for a cheque was given on July 13th. I was asked to hang on for a little longer it is on it's way.

I'm no expert, but as far as I know it's only the 2015's that get a Phase 2 done which consists of a lot of exhaust system removal and new install for as long as 9 hours. When that is being done I will get a free loaner vehicle.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; July 21st, 2017 at 14:38.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote