www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 2nd, 2017, 15:30   #31
Rico567
Veteran Member

Yes, it would be nice to have people come back and post their post-fix results, not only fuel efficiency, but also performance and DEF consumption.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 15:55   #32
mikew85120

Fuel Economy: 34-37 City 44 highway
Default Gen 2 fix

Just scheduled the fix. I will repost with handling, fuel consumption and other changes
mikew85120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 18:47   #33
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter

Please do. I'm keeping mine and am doing the fix and would like to know before I do. Thanks. Also my cel is on for nox bank 1 and I'm wondering if I need to have them fix (replace) it for 1500$ cad before they will do the recall fix that would be a bummer as after the fix the entire emissions system will be warranteed.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 18:49   #34
Fastbird
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy777 View Post
Please do. I'm keeping mine and am doing the fix and would like to know before I do. Thanks. Also my cel is on for nox bank 1 and I'm wondering if I need to have them fix (replace) it for 1500$ cad before they will do the recall fix that would be a bummer as after the fix the entire emissions system will be warranteed.
Talk to your servicing dealer. Mine called me today to get the claim number from me and also told me a new sensor would be installed in the exhaust. Thinking NOx as it's pertinent to the fix.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:45   #35
boomer1

Fuel Economy: Average 47.5 mpg in first 1300 miles

Got my notice from VW yesterday and am scheduled to have the fix done on June 21. I'll relay my results on here to the group after it is done.
boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:58   #36
markm102

Got my appointment for next week...along with a few other recalls listed for my 2013 Passat TDI SE. Anxious to see how the car is affected. Literature I received is downplaying any performance changes. More AdBlue use is noted. Also have a fairly substantial road trip in July that will tell the tale. Currently about 500 miles a week averaging about 42mpg. Lets hope post-fix mpg. is comparable.
markm102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:22   #37
Skimax
Veteran Member

I'm wondering if it was just a coincidence that the gen 2 fix became available so soon after the new 2015 TDIs were made available for sale and then mostly sold. If it had been the other way around we might have had our 13 SE fixed and kept it. VW might have thought they could quickly get rid of the new 2015s to those of us who really like the TDI but weren't sure if/when a fix would be available for the 12-14 Passats. Doesn't matter to us now as we love the new 15 SEL we're now driving. Good luck to those who are getting the fix, I sincerely hope that it goes well for everyone with no issues.
Skimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 12:46   #38
Flyboy777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
Talk to your servicing dealer. Mine called me today to get the claim number from me and also told me a new sensor would be installed in the exhaust. Thinking NOx as it's pertinent to the fix.
I will do thanks. I'm baffled. The fix for gen 2 Passats is just a 1hr software upload. Why are they replacing the nox on your car?
Old June 3rd, 2017, 14:38   #39
Fastbird
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy777 View Post
I will do thanks. I'm baffled. The fix for gen 2 Passats is just a 1hr software upload. Why are they replacing the nox on your car?
Dealership told me that it was being replaced as part of the fix. I'll verify this on monday.

On another note, has anyone looked at what is actually covered under the extended warranty in the packet? I just got my packet today and was FLOORED by what they're covering.

Entire Exhaust after treatment system

ENTIRE fuel system

EGR system

Charge Air Temp Sensor and Mass Air Sensor

Turbo and damper

OBD system.

That's the three biggest ticket items I can think of (DPF, Turbo, HPFP) and they just got extended in my case for another 4/48 as I'm already over 119K. That's a solid 2 1/2 years worth of use for me that I have a pretty solid piece of mind about now. Pretty pleased about that.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 16:00   #40
rmilchman

If I read it right it seems to cover most of the engine.
rmilchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 16:56   #41
mikew85120

Fuel Economy: 34-37 City 44 highway
Default Also covered

We have a 2014 Passat with 39000 miles, they extended our warranty for 10 years from the original in-service date. That gives us roughly 7 years extended warranty.

"Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft and valve train."
The BEST part. "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
Dealership told me that it was being replaced as part of the fix. I'll verify this on monday.

On another note, has anyone looked at what is actually covered under the extended warranty in the packet? I just got my packet today and was FLOORED by what they're covering.

Entire Exhaust after treatment system

ENTIRE fuel system

EGR system

Charge Air Temp Sensor and Mass Air Sensor

Turbo and damper

OBD system.

That's the three biggest ticket items I can think of (DPF, Turbo, HPFP) and they just got extended in my case for another 4/48 as I'm already over 119K. That's a solid 2 1/2 years worth of use for me that I have a pretty solid piece of mind about now. Pretty pleased about that.
mikew85120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 17:01   #42
Rico567
Veteran Member

Got the "fix packet" in the mail today. Not doing it, will turn car in Dec. of next year.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 18:28   #43
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Yes feeling better about about the extra 48k of covered driving, will hold out till the last possible date to fix and then will be covered from that point forward. If i have any issues coming up after that time i would feel more than comfortable proceeding with a tune and a delete.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 19:52   #44
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

I got my packet, covered to only 120k, so that sucks... my local dealer couldn't schedule me in as they are unaware of the gen2 fix-
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 09:51   #45
Flyboy777

I am a canadian NMS Passat owner and am keeping my car and getting the "approved emissions modification" the letter issued to canadian customers for the gen3 fix (gen 2 pamphlet has not been issued yet for Canada but I assume it will be similar to gen 3) covers a warrantee statement that covers similar things but has this concerning clause:

" The Extended Emissions Warranty covers all components which are replaced as part of the emissions modification and any component which can reasonably be impacted by effects of the emissions modification."

The term reasonably impacted is subjective and I'm not sure who's interpretation it is but I'm asssuming the dealer's. Granted the incentive is going to be for the dealer to want to grab the work and get paid the money by VW but I'm sure they have to answer to VW so I'm wondering in all practicality how much would actually be allowed under warrantee when the gen 2 fix is software only. So I'm unsure a person will be able to claim a engine, hpfp, dpf etc in actuality for free (on vw) thoughts people?