www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 19th, 2017, 15:29   #1
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Default Gen 2 Fix Approved

Approved for DSG only.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN18F1TL

6M's have to wait.
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 19:18   #2
Nebelwerfer
Veteran Member

I wonder what the fix will actually consist of.
Old May 19th, 2017, 21:13   #3
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelwerfer View Post
I wonder what the fix will actually consist of.
Apparently the fix is software only.
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:03   #4
boomer1

Fuel Economy: Average 47.5 mpg in first 1300 miles
Default Fix Approved for 2012-2014 TDI Passats with AT

By David Shepardson | WASHINGTON

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board on Friday announced approval of a fix for about 84,000 older Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) diesel vehicles that can emit excess emissions.

Volkswagen, the world's largest automaker, agreed last year to offer to buy back up to 475,000 2.0-liter diesel vehicles that had been sold in the United States or offer fixes if regulators approved.

Friday's announcement covers a fix for 84,390 2012-2014 Passat diesel vehicles with automatic transmissions. [/B]A fix for vehicles with manual transmissions has not yet been approved.

In January, regulators approved a fix for 67,000 2015 model diesels, leaving around 325,000 older vehicles still awaiting approval for a fix.

Volkswagen spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan said the automaker is pleased that it has received regulatory approval for the fixes.

California Air Resources Board executive officer Richard Corey said the approval "is another important step in efforts to repair the environmental harm caused by these vehicles."

EPA confirmed its approval in a letter posted on its website on Friday.

Until regulators approved a fix in January, VW had been barred by authorities from selling 12,000 new 2015 diesel Golf, Beetle and Passat cars after the German automaker admitted to using secret software to exceed emission limits for six years.

In April, VW resumed selling those 2015 diesel cars in the United States and said they accounted for nearly 12 percent of its April sales.

Earlier this month, Volkswagen also began selling some of the 2015 diesel models it had repurchased, but the company has not yet disclosed how many of those vehicles it has sold.

ALSO IN U.S.

Volkswagen has bought back or terminated leases on around 280,000 vehicles.

Volkswagen has agreed to spend up to $25 billion to address claims from U.S. owners, environmental regulators, states and dealers, and offered to buy back about 500,000 polluting U.S. vehicles, including some 3.0 liter vehicles.

On Wednesday, a federal judge issued a written order granting final approval for Volkswagen AG to fix or buy back 80,000 larger 3.0-liter diesel Porsche, Audi and VW vehicles in the United States.

Volkswagen has agreed to buy back 20,000 2009-2012 diesel vehicles and plans to fix 58,000 newer ones if regulators approve. The settlement could be worth $1.2 billion if all older models are repurchased.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; editing by Phil Berlowitz)
boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:12   #5
Fastbird
Veteran Member

I just found out about the fix being approved last night on Reddit. Quite pleased by this. I've been sitting on my offer paperwork for 3-4 months waiting to see what came down the pipeline as my plan is to have the fix done and keep the car. Going to get it notarized and submitted today finally.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:35   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

Wish there was more details about what "said fix" is will it be two stages like the 150HP TDIs and what warranty they are offering.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:47   #7
MarkAardvark

Fuel Economy: Peak 50.5, average 40.3 MPG, worst 34.4 (The wife doing 80 back from LA)

There is a document on vwcourtsettlement.com that describes the fix as software. No mention of hardware.
MarkAardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:53   #8
TDI Owner/Operator

Great to hear as I was keeping mine anyway! If fix is indeed software only I imagine it won't be too long before it can be performed on the affected 2012-2014 DSG Passats.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 14:02   #9
J
Veteran Member

Thumbs up how much longer can the 6 speed manual be behind?

If they are already working on the Passat fix, how much longer can the manual fix be?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 14:45   #10
r11
Veteran Member

2 possibilities here:

- they worked, on a "generic" Gen2 fix. When applied to manuals, they couldn't meet the emission targets, fix only really worked with DSG (as they can control the gears). This would be bad news for us 6MT owners. They might just say - fixing 6MT is too hard, not even worth it for the few thousand of stick owners, let them take BB, full stop, move on to fix for Gen1 autos.

OR

- they first worked on fix for DSGs. Now that it's been approved and experience gained, they move onto the 6MT. That's better outcome for us 6MT owners.

Which is it ? Dont think anyone but VW knows.

Certainly, the verbiage in the press stmt was ambiguous. Germans are not great communicators for sure.
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 15:45   #11
RandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
2 possibilities here:

- they worked, on a "generic" Gen2 fix. When applied to manuals, they couldn't meet the emission targets, fix only really worked with DSG (as they can control the gears). This would be bad news for us 6MT owners. They might just say - fixing 6MT is too hard, not even worth it for the few thousand of stick owners, let them take BB, full stop, move on to fix for Gen1 autos.

OR

- they first worked on fix for DSGs. Now that it's been approved and experience gained, they move onto the 6MT. That's better outcome for us 6MT owners.

Which is it ? Dont think anyone but VW knows.

Certainly, the verbiage in the press stmt was ambiguous. Germans are not great communicators for sure.
Really hope it's the latter.

Even though I'll have this car until September 2018 regardless, would be nice to know if I should have my eye on a different vehicle in the interim (would also love to get some custom work done to the Passat if I'm keeping it).
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 16:22   #12
boomer1

Fuel Economy: Average 47.5 mpg in first 1300 miles

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...Volkswagen.pdf

Here is a link to the document that explains it all; fix, warranty, etyc.
boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 16:59   #13
Fastbird
Veteran Member

Hmmm....that article says the fix is available now, but I just finished, submitted, and had my final offer for emissions fix paperwork done today, and when I went back to the portal, it says no fix is available.
Fastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 19:17   #14
tadawson
Veteran Member

So they haven't updated the portal yet. Is that really that hard to believe?
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:03   #15
r11
Veteran Member

Ouch. ... only the SW. No free DPF/NOx Cat refresh, like with Gen3.

Like I speculated elsewhere, they are forcing higher RPM while engine is cold. And, I am still afraid, therein lies the reason they couldnt fix the 6MT the same way. No way to control the gear.

DEF consumption might increase 2X+ - however the likely increase in wear of NOx cat is not addressed. Like we learned in chemistry classes looong while back, catalyst facilitates a chem reaction but is NOT consumed in process

Best thing that could happen for owners - it would wear out and quit during the 48K wty bump.

What did EA189 in: it simply takes forever to come up to the temp. Mine, on a cold NJ winter morning, takes up to 5 miles of brisk driving to get that needle vertical. Darn NOx cat sits too far from engine, is kept cold by air running in under-the-car tunnel and takes even longer to come up to the temp where the reduction reaction can actually take place.

And that's why in EA288 they have the "standing coolant" mode and DPF/NOx Cat assy is bolted directly past turbo, where there's no moving cold air and exhaust gases are at their max temp.

Last edited by r11; May 23rd, 2017 at 05:09.
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote