www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 6th, 2017, 19:52   #1
eugene89us

Fuel Economy: Over 40 MPG combined. 50+ MPG HWY.
Default Buying a new 2015 Passat TDI SEL from dealer in 2017.

Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for or against a purchase of brand new 2015 Passat TDI SEL from the dealer. The VW is offering a $5,000 rebate, with car's MSRP of $35,500. The dealer will also change brakes and tires, replace battery and windshield wipers. The car is impeccable otherwise.

Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for or against the purchase. Additionally, I do not think I will offer more than $27,000 for the car plus taxes and licensing fees. So my plan is to have it for no more than $29,000 out of the door. My initial offer of $25,000 was immediately refused one week ago.

Thank you for your suggestions.
eugene89us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 20:56   #2
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

I've been called crazy in other threads, but we bought a Passat SEL and a GSW SEL in the past two weeks. I had a 2013 Passat SEL that was bought back and I missed it dearly so I pretty much jumped at the chance. The 5k off is standard, but some of us have managed to get the dealers to further discount the cars, although not many. Both of our cars are "brand new" and spotless, but it is true that they are a few years old and the tech is a bit dated. The buybacks are supposed to be released for sale soon, but having a brand new TDI, with a zero cost loan, and a pretty amazing warranty was enough for me. Plenty of people are worried about the fact that they have been sitting, but that didn't bother me at all. Based on what the vast majority have reported, I doubt you'll be getting one for 27 out the door though. That's basically well below invoice and most dealers won't even move off of MSRP. Good luck though, we love both of ours and have no regrets.

Last edited by Locoelectrician; May 6th, 2017 at 21:02.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 21:09   #3
afarfalla
Veteran Member

friend bought a 15 SEL premium, $29K out the door, "0" finance for 72 months
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 21:17   #4
Skimax
Veteran Member

Look into leasing it with $8500 off MSRP if you can pay it off after 3 months. That's the deal we got, taking delivery on the 11th when we do the buyback on our 13 SE. 2015 SEL Premium about $28.5 out the door, no sales tax in NH

Last edited by Skimax; May 6th, 2017 at 22:09.
Skimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 22:58   #5
eugene89us

Fuel Economy: Over 40 MPG combined. 50+ MPG HWY.

I feel a bit scared about leasing, too many variables. Plus, won't you end up overpaying some amount of profit for leasing company in the first 3 months? Leasing has to be profitable to the manufacturer. If I took a lease and paid the car off in full in 3 months, are there any penalties or fees that end up being assessed instead of just buying it straight from the dealer?
eugene89us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:49   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

You can't pay cash for these cars and get the rebate. You're required to finance them. Lease is a better deal if you have the money to pay off the residual at the end of the lease term...on most cars. On a Passat SEL the interest cost may be higher than the $3,500 interest difference. But if you pay the lease off as early as allowed you'll stll save money.
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:50   #7
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for or against a purchase of brand new 2015 Passat TDI SEL from the dealer. <snip>
I am not calling anyone "crazy," nor will I do so. For myself, I wouldn't even dream of paying the prices you quote. Cars are what they are, and no car can be helped by sitting for two years. These cars are now basically three model years old, and as soon as the buyback is over, their value will reflect it. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one, but at this point for no less than a third off sticker, plus new tires, fluids, etc.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:16   #8
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for or against a purchase of brand new 2015 Passat TDI SEL from the dealer. The dealer will also change brakes and tires, replace battery and windshield wipers. The car is impeccable otherwise..

Just curious? If the car is BRAND NEW why would these things need to be done on it?
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:20   #9
Mark_J
Veteran Member

Good morning eugene89us, it appears you must be looking at a 2015 Passat SEL Premium based on the MSRP of $35,500. I purchased a gold exterior, dark grey interior, 2015 Passat SEL Premium on the lease with the same MSRP price. Never leased before, always owned my vehicles, but I have it in writing on the lease that there is no penalty for buying the car early, which I will do in July. (Basically paying it off early if it were a loan). And compared to the 72 month 0% loan VS the 2 year lease, the lease is $2,200.00 cheaper, even with the lease fees because they will discount the Passat $8,500.00 for the lease and $5,000.00 for the loan.
Mark_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:23   #10
Mark_J
Veteran Member

Also they replaced all the fluids, including the urea, new wipers, battery, and I got to choose the new tires. And they ordered mud flaps as part of the deal. Car is as clean as the day it was built and still has that new car smell. Yes it is a couple of years old, but the dealer took really good care of the 8 2015's they had and they sold all 8 of them in 4 days.
Mark_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:58   #11
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

Eugene89, make sure to look carefully right underneath all the doorhandles for rust. More than one potential buyer has found this on 2015 TDIs, although not sure what models it was found on.
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:30   #12
Skimax
Veteran Member

Quote:
I feel a bit scared about leasing, too many variables. Plus, won't you end up overpaying some amount of profit for leasing company in the first 3 months? Leasing has to be profitable to the manufacturer. If I took a lease and paid the car off in full in 3 months, are there any penalties or fees that end up being assessed instead of just buying it straight from the dealer?

Our deal is about $2K< than if we bought it with the $5000 discount and 0%.

So yes the lease costs obviously don't give you the full $3500 difference but it's still better to have $2K extra in our pocket and the lease includes gap insurance until you pay it off after 3 months.
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:42   #13
Skimax
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
I am not calling anyone "crazy," nor will I do so. For myself, I wouldn't even dream of paying the prices you quote. Cars are what they are, and no car can be helped by sitting for two years. These cars are now basically three model years old, and as soon as the buyback is over, their value will reflect it. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one, but at this point for no less than a third off sticker, plus new tires, fluids, etc.
I take your point. In our case we love our 2013 SEw/sunroof and would keep it if there was a fix available but.......so far no, so we're moving into a SEL 2 years newer with about 125 miles on it. The dealer said the drove the cars monthly a little bit. Our 13 needs or will soon tires, battery, 40K service etc.

A new car warranty and 11Y 162K mile engine, emissions warranty etc. + a SEL is worth the $2K more than our buyback offer.

The only downside is our SEL will be Silver not the Tungsten our SE is painted that we really like.

Glad we live where we have a choice of what we can do.

Last edited by Skimax; May 7th, 2017 at 10:45.
Skimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:50   #14
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

yup they are holding firm here too, tired to get another nms or jsw but the prices they wanted were more than I paid for my Passat back in 2014 pre dieselgate
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:18   #15
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Just curious? If the car is BRAND NEW why would these things need to be done on it?
Because it's been sitting in a storage lot in the sun for a year and a half.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote