www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 19th, 2016, 10:01   #61
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

When I got my car at the end of May I was disappointed in the headlights, in fact I thought that they suck !!!

I replaced the low beam with Sylvania H7 SilverStar zXe bulbs.
A difference like day and night.
I also changed the high beam to Sylvania Ultra bulbs. Also a great improvement over stock!

Now having read this thread I think I'll get a set of those
Osram Rallye H7+. Found some on eBay for a very good price.
So now I have to decide whether I just want to switch out the low only or go for all 4 bulbs.

I can always keep the others for spares in the wheel well in case a bulb burns out.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:36   #62
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?
Default OSRAM h7 Rallye 65w

I just installed four of these this past weekend. Very simple to install. Just remember not to touch the glass part of the bulb. I wore some blue nitrite gloves.
The factory 55w H7 bulbs were Osram also. Actually they were different part numbers for the low and high beam? One had a "L" in the part number.
The factory voltage for the head lamps was 12.8 volts. I raised it to 13.0 volts. Not had a chance to test them at night yet.
btw... What exactly is the bulb life extension feature? I did not mess with that setting at all. Just went to 13 volts.
sohccammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:43   #63
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
I just installed four of these this past weekend. Very simple to install. Just remember not to touch the glass part of the bulb. I wore some blue nitrite gloves.
The factory 55w H7 bulbs were Osram also. Actually they were different part numbers for the low and high beam? One had a "L" in the part number.
The factory voltage for the head lamps was 12.8 volts. I raised it to 13.0 volts. Not had a chance to test them at night yet.
btw... What exactly is the bulb life extension feature? I did not mess with that setting at all. Just went to 13 volts.
Interesting, the " L " on the bulb. I'll have to check the original bulbs I removed to see if they have that marking.

As for the bulb life extension, it is my understanding that the tail and headlights are getting a reduced voltage. The rest of the car gets alternator/voltage regulator output voltage.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Old June 20th, 2016, 09:50   #64
740GLE
Veteran Member

with all original bulbs in the jetta and the passat, I'm too impressed with their length of service to be sacrificing the coin for shorter life just to throw more light down the road.

Anyone want to chime in how many hours the have on their upgraded set and at what voltage?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 13:10   #65
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Anyone want to chime in how many hours the have on their upgraded set and at what voltage?
Standard OEM H7 : 55w, 1400 lumen, 3200K, 300 - 450 hours
Osram Rallye H7+ : 65w, 2100 lumen, 3200K, 300 - 400 hours
So to me lamp life is not an issue.
At the factory voltage setting on my Passat, 12.8v the 55 watt bulbs pulled 4.3 amps. The 65w lamps at 13v pulls 5.0 amps. Increasing the voltage will reduce the amp draw, so I may bump them up to 13.2 That would be 4.9 amps. A negligible difference.
I believe the low beam circuits are are protected by a 15 amp fuse each side and the high beams are 10 amp each side? Someone can verify? And if the purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring, a 5 amp draw, each bulb, (13v @ 65w) will in no way come close to overloading the circuit. I wondered about the wiring myself at first and then thought about the circuit breakers (fuses).
sohccammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 14:45   #66
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I got really happy, then really freaked out for a second there...

I saw Vw Norm's postings and I thought this was a recent thread and thought the news of him passing was a hoax or maybe just a coincidence.
What?? I totally missed that Norm passed away. That's unfortunate, as he was a great asset to the community. RIP.

His last login date was November 27, 2014. I must have been living under a rock.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 18:16   #67
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Series of posts over at Vortex...Norm was very kind, knowledgeable, helpful.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:38   #68
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
Standard OEM H7 : 55w, 1400 lumen, 3200K, 300 - 450 hours
Osram Rallye H7+ : 65w, 2100 lumen, 3200K, 300 - 400 hours
Thanks for the book values of the bulbs, anyone have real world experience with long life?

By those numbers, I've crushed the stock OEM bulb life on the jetta at 127K miles, 30% night driving even at 55mph avg, that's over 700 hours on the bulbs.

Say "Installed them back in 2013 and put on over +50K on the bulbs, with prob 30% night driving?"
Old June 25th, 2016, 14:14   #69
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Just for whatever it's worth, I did replace the original bulbs on the low beam with Sylvania Silverstar zXe and there is no rating of life other than warrantied for 12 months.

The high beams replaced with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Life expectancy is rated as 85 hours. Warrantied for 12 months.

I figured I use low beam more than high beam so I installed the slightly better bulbs on low beam. But I can honestly say that the difference is like night and day compared to stock. Much brighter/whiter light and longer distance after setting the lights properly. I'm guessing as to the bulbs being between 5000 k and 6000 k color.

They claim on the Ultra package that the average driver uses low beam for about 100 hours per year.

Old July 5th, 2017, 18:56   #70
rustycat
Veteran Member

Having discovered, sob, that my beloved Osram 65W Rallye H7s that I had on our 13 Passat are now discontinued I am wondering what bulb is of the same characteristic. Please, no projection bulbs, just a drop-in replacement is all I want.

Your Car’s Headlights are Probably Terrible: IIHS
By Steph Willems on March 30, 2016

2012 Volkswagen Passat SEL 2.5, Exterior, headlights, Picture courtesy of Alex L Dykes

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has started rating headlights, and just released a report that takes a dim view on the performance of most midsize cars.

Only one vehicle out of 31 testers earned a rating of “good” from the road safety nonprofit, with the bulk of midsize vehicles earning a rating of “marginal” or “poor.”

The results are even less dazzling when you take into account optional lighting packages, which pushed the number tested to 82. Even then, it was only the LED-equipped advanced technology package on the Toyota Prius V that earned the IIHS’s acclaim.“If you’re having trouble seeing behind the wheel at night, it could very well be your headlights and not your eyes that are to blame,” said David Zuby, IIHS vice president and chief research officer, in a statement.

The headlight test, performed at the Vehicle Research Centre in Ruckersville, Virginia, recorded the illumination of nighttime road obstacles by regular low beam settings from five different approach angles. It also measured glare for oncoming vehicles.

When the results were in, researchers found the results didn’t discriminate along class lines, or nationality. The headlight performance of many luxury vehicles were outclassed by cheaper models.

The bottom of the headlight barrel are the halogen eyes on a BMW 3 Series. It was only optional equipment that allowed BMW to climb up into the “marginal” category.

“A driver with those headlights would have to be going 35 mph or slower to stop in time for an obstacle in the travel lane,” the IIHS said of the standard halogen setup.

The Mercedes-Benz C-Class and CLA earned a solid “poor rating,” as did the Cadillac ATS. Among lesser price tags, the Chevrolet Malibu scored poorly, but so did the Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Nissan Altima and Volkswagen Passat.

The Subaru Legacy, Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry made it into the “marginal” category, where they share space with the aforementioned Bimmer (plus the 2 Series), Audi A4, Acura TLX, and Lincoln MKZ.

Earning an “acceptable” rating were the Mazda6, Infiniti Q50, Nissan Maxima, Honda Accord, Lexus ES and IS, Volkswagen Jetta and CC, Subaru Outback, and Volvo S60.

Despite advances in road illumination — high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps, LEDs and curve-adaptive headlights — the poor results mean technology still hasn’t caught up to real world driving scenarios.

With the IIHS now breathing down their necks over headlights, expect automakers to frantically upgrade their badly performing models before next year to avoid embarrassment
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:55   #71
740GLE
Veteran Member

but does IIHS also rate trucks with HID, no levelers and 500Lbs in the bed, blinding people 2 counties away?

Toss on glazed 9 year old lenses that deflect the light everywhere but the road, its amazing how more people don't get in accidents from these POS lights.

I'm all for making things better but so many times its at a sacrifice for other drivers.
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:55   #72
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Silverstar Ultras are brighter, longer lived, and cheaper than the ZXE H7's. The ZXE is for those who want whiter looking light rather than more effective lighting.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 06:37   #73
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

A year ago after trying Silverstar bulbs and paying big bucks for them I found H7 "OSRAM" 80 watt bulbs on eBay. I lucked out and a seller had a pack of 10 for $39.00 shipped to me.
Have a set of 4 going since a year ago July. None burned out yet and I have the voltage to the bulbs and tail lights maxed out by VCDS. Lots of light for night time use.

eBay link

Old July 6th, 2017, 07:20   #74
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
A year ago after trying Silverstar bulbs and paying big bucks for them I found H7 "OSRAM" 80 watt bulbs on eBay. I lucked out and a seller had a pack of 10 for $39.00 shipped to me.
Have a set of 4 going since a year ago July. None burned out yet and I have the voltage to the bulbs and tail lights maxed out by VCDS. Lots of light for night time use.

eBay link
I wouldn't use any 80 watt h7 without upgrading the wiring first.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 07:22   #75
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

80 watt? Are you sure about that?
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote