www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 16th, 2013, 19:05   #16
pparks1
Veteran Member

I say "yes" to the car wash. Might as well find out if you have a problem while you are under warranty rather than discovering the problem when you are not.
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
pparks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 20:29   #17
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

I have an all you can eat pass for the local touch less wash. Whenever I'm in the neighborhood I go through. Whenever it's salty, I try and go once a day. In the summer, I generally bathe and wax my own car out in the driveway. It's good exercise and living in a condo, it's one of the only things I can do outside in our stupid little lot.

No issues so far (knock on wood) with sunroof drains though in the touch less.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 14:56   #18
ss2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90 View Post
I have an all you can eat pass for the local touch less wash. Whenever I'm in the neighborhood I go through. Whenever it's salty, I try and go once a day. In the summer, I generally bathe and wax my own car out in the driveway. It's good exercise and living in a condo, it's one of the only things I can do outside in our stupid little lot.

No issues so far (knock on wood) with sunroof drains though in the touch less.
Good to here! I guess I'll try it out. I know that I should do it by hand, but I'm a lazy bastard...
ss2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 18:24   #19
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

I just installed the Osram 65w in both cars. I installed only one first in each car, drove around a bit, faced the garage wall...hmmm...I couldn't see any difference in either car between the 55w and the 65w. Any thoughts? I've got the Passat voltage as high as it can go.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 14:51   #20
ss2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
I just installed the Osram 65w in both cars. I installed only one first in each car, drove around a bit, faced the garage wall...hmmm...I couldn't see any difference in either car between the 55w and the 65w. Any thoughts? I've got the Passat voltage as high as it can go.
I eventually turned the bulb-saver feature off altogether. I definitely think that my headlights are brighter and whiter with the 65w Rallyes running full alternator voltage. Dumb question, but are you sure that you installed them in the low beams and not the high beams? (I replaced all four in mine with the Rallyes)
ss2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:47   #21
TypeRod
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
I agree with you, I don't have VCDS so I still have the bulb saver option on. I didn't really notice any diff. between a 55W and the 65W rallys.
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:32   #22
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Yes, I installed them in the low-beam plug. Good question, though...
Old February 13th, 2014, 17:07   #23
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Silverstar Ultras in both hi and low, bulb extension off, and it is a night and day difference from stock. I also adjusted them up a bit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old February 13th, 2014, 20:29   #24
JdC Machine
Veteran Member

I too have Silverstar Ultras in both high and low beam positions. I increased the voltage to 13.0 volts and can't say if I've noticed much of a difference either. Although, while parked facing a wall, the headlights seem to be a higher color temperature (whiter light) compared to the fog lights even though the fogs are the factory supplied bulbs. Which could simply be the reason why I see the difference in comparison.

From what I'm reading here, adjusting the voltage does NOT disable the bulb life extender, correct? If that is the case, I will hook to the car and go through VCDS again and disable the bulb life extension.
Titan Black
JdC Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 20:43   #25
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Actually, I was replacing Silverstar Ultras 55w with the Osram 65w...sigh...
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:05   #26
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdC Machine View Post
From what I'm reading here, adjusting the voltage does NOT disable the bulb life extender, correct? If that is the case, I will hook to the car and go through VCDS again and disable the bulb life extension.
Correct.
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:24   #27
JdC Machine
Veteran Member

Thanks, Loki.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.
Titan Black
JdC Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 19:04   #28
Nuttendiesel
Veteran Member

put in the Osrams from Candlepower at $76 for 4 and thought it was a pretty good upgrade for the money, much better light but still lacking a little, I was coming from a 2010 accord that I retrofitted with s2k projectors but that cost me over $700 and the output is unreal, makes my other car with stock xenons really seem dim by comparison but after turning off the bulb saving feature via vcds i now have pretty respectable output and am happy with it plus my sister-in-law just bought a 14', I told her i'll do the upgrade for her, found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-OSRAM-Sy...-/171264843521

on ebay and figured what the heck, they appear to be the real deal and i cannot tell the difference when comparing them side to side, now i can change out low beams every year for $10!

Last edited by Nuttendiesel; March 12th, 2014 at 19:07.
Nuttendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 07:36   #29
Hypermile
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdC Machine View Post
I too have Silverstar Ultras in both high and low beam positions. I increased the voltage to 13.0 volts and can't say if I've noticed much of a difference either. Although, while parked facing a wall, the headlights seem to be a higher color temperature (whiter light) compared to the fog lights even though the fogs are the factory supplied bulbs. Which could simply be the reason why I see the difference in comparison.

The fog bulbs (H8) are only 35W.
2013 Candy White Passat TDI DSG, Comfortline, Sports Package // 35% Ceramic Tint // LED Interior Lights // Euro Switch // LED Front & Rear Turn Signals/Markers // LED Front Corners Lights // LED Rear Inner Tail Lights // LED Puddle Lights // OEM LED Plate Lights // Nokya 2500K H11 55W Fogs // FX-R 3.0 Bi-X Projector Retro // 6000K 55W HID // IROAD IONE-900HD // LED Strip Trunk Light // Auto-Polar FIS+ Adv.
Hypermile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:44   #30
vw_norm
Gone, but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
The fog bulbs (H8) are only 35W.
But you can retrofit 55W H11s by dremeling down the big tab on the base about 1/16" on each side for a noticeable improvement in output.