www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 1st, 2013, 15:53   #46
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
For what it's worth, mine got the new FW within 5 days of purchase, and I never looked back. I'm not certain, but I recall LokiWolf saying that he also has the old stuff, so you could always roll back if needed.

Considering that this is not a 'hard' or irreversible change, I don't consider warranty issues of much significance. If all else fails, perhaps another member with the new FW could let you try thiers before you make a decision.

- Tim
Is it possible to roll back the firmware? Though it's only SW, it's not uncommon for rollbacks to be impossible. We're talking about a $30K decision, so....
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 16:29   #47
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Is it possible to roll back the firmware? Though it's only SW, it's not uncommon for rollbacks to be impossible. We're talking about a $30K decision, so....
It is possible. If you are trading it in, I would not recommend it. As I am sure you know doing it once yet 2 times is just asking for something to go wrong.
Old October 1st, 2013, 16:48   #48
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
I started an IT career a long time ago, with my first network certs back in the days of ArcNet and Token Ring. Now I run a very very large enterprise.
So, I am a Network Analyst in a VERY large organization, with over 60,000 users, I have MANY IT certs, including several from Cisco, Several from Microsoft, one from Redhat, one from VMWare, and few others. They mean squat when talking about the RNS-510.

Quote:
What I was NOT familiar with is what the V5.2M disk was. It is not clearly labeled as either, and I had no idea what was on it.
What do you mean it isn't clearly labeled? The disc itself, clearly says Navteq maps, the instruction sheet you have referenced that came with it clearly says, "Update of Navigation data base". They are the FIRST 5 words on the piece of paper.

Quote:
From what you're saying, it's just a map update - which will essentially give me back a unit pretty much like I dropped off.
That is EXACTLY what I have said more than once, other than it will improve access speed to the MAP data, because of a revised index.

Quote:
It will apparently NOT update my firmware. Even my searches today on this site are not terrible clear about that but it's what I'm finding.
What do you mean CLEAR. I said it at the start of this thread, I said it in replies to you, I even stated it in the other threads that now link to this one. I COULD NOT MAKE IT ANY CLEARER!

Quote:
My impression here is that I'll get the car back with the same 3696 firmware, and the dealer will not be able to change that.
Most likely, unless they have taken it upon themselves to get a copy of 4366, or VW has FINALLY provided it to the dealers.

Quote:
Based on this, I'll likely be giving the Passat back to VW and getting my money back.
Good. I hear the new BMW 3 series now has a diesel for the US. Since you have been doing IT so long, you should easily be able to afford that.

Quote:
For the unlock, I don't lock the car at my location. Ever.
Pressing the unlock on the remote, even when the car is already unlocked, will start the boot up process.

Quote:
I'm not comfortable putting a firmware version on outside of warranty considering that I'm very possibly returning the car. I want zero chances of VW trying to say I've done anything wrong whatsoever. If I had owned the car for a year or so and there was no chance of this, then I'd go for the firmware update because after all, the unit is crap as is. However right now I need to stay the course without modifying the unit outside of VW. I am seriously curious as to why VW would decline from making the newer firmware versions available to customers who are clearly suffering from performance issues.
I agree, do not load the firmware unless you decide to keep the car. I will not be discussing this anymore with you in this thread. This is EXACTLY what I did not want to happen in this thread. If you decide to keep the car, PM me, and I will gladly send you the Firmware download link.

Loki out.
Old October 1st, 2013, 22:06   #49
JimPhazer

For those with a 2014 Passat SEL. The VIM ReCode works great. Had to hit the 3 finger reboot with the Disc in the drive, but it only took a minute to load and unlock VIM. Here is the version info that came with my 2014.

HW: H21
SW: 4369
Map: 7963
JimPhazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 23:23   #50
CNNPress

Fuel Economy: 33/48

Nice! You have SSD!

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 4
CNNPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:40   #51
APT
Veteran Member

Thanks Loki for organizing the details!
APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:33   #52
tdrag97

Thx Loki.. update to V5.2 map with the disc from VW. took awhile too

Look like I would have to get your new FW to speed thing up a bit. Anything would be better then now.

Currently I have 13' SEL with VIM (from recode_VIM_berto89)
HW - H02
SW - 3696
Map ver - 7994
tdrag97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:47   #53
panther_v

Thanks to Loki, I successfully updated to the new version.

I'm curious on a few things though:

1. 7994 (V5.2) is a reorganized version of 7870 (V5), but both has same content. How about 7963? Does this version have the same structure as 7870 or the database structure of reorganized 7994 (ie improved access...)?

2. If I decided to move back to V5.2, will the system allow me to install an older version? or it is not backward compatible?

Last edited by panther_v; October 2nd, 2013 at 09:47. Reason: typo
panther_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:26   #54
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

And some say I derail threads. Returning a car because VW needs to push out software updates ?

ANYWAY. Loki, as one of your original beta testers. THANK YOU for all the work you've put into this!

My original review:

Quote:
Preface: Do not expect it to be as fast or smooth as a dedicated Garmin GPS, your iPhone/Android, or anything else stand-alone. With that in mind, the update is a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my opinion.

The interface is the same (and relatively unintuitive) however the severe lag is gone. Things actually happen when you press a button, and the touch screen reacts as good as a non-capacitive touchscreen can. It also starts up and switches to the rear cam much faster.

In my opinion the system is now as good as the RNS-310 and RCD-510, and in the end, this update should fix a great majority of peoples complaints. It's still not the best in the industry or the next version coming in the new Golf. It is however good enough to keep me from buying a replacement in the immediate future or feeling burned by VW.

Cliff Notes: This update definitely makes the 510 usable and I hope VW rolls this out as a recall. Don't expect it to be as fast an iPhone however, it's more like an ATM now.
And some update/troubleshooting tips:
  • The Star button next to the CD drive is what the firmware refers to as the Night/Day button.
  • Make sure you have your car set to 24hr mode (do this via the time setting in the MFI).
  • I was unable to do the update in accessory mode. This was frustrating to figure out with Kessy. Just unlock your car and push the radio's power button.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:33   #55
tdrag97

• Quote:
    Make sure you have your car set to 24hr mode (do this via the time setting in the MFI).
How does this help if the car is in 24hr mode or not?
tdrag97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:27   #56
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrag97 View Post
How does this help if the car is in 24hr mode or not?
My radio wouldn't allow the update unless it was in 24hr mode.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:38   #57
Checker39

Default Source for 4366 firmware?

Thanks, LokiWolf for posting this information. I have pressed my dealer without success for any available firmware upgrades to improve the performance of my RNS 510 [2013 Passat SEL TDI purchased May 2013].

From this thread and searching for related information, it looks to me like my dealer will not be able to upgrade my firmware from 3696 to 4366, even if I provide the service manager with the version number. Is this correct? If so, am I relegated to purchasing a DVD for the upgrade from a third-party supplier? In previous threads I've seen mention of someone seloing a DVD for $185. What's the best source for the software? I located someone selling it for $31 here, http://www.qmstore.com/VW-RNS-510-20...e/p223907.html, but I have no idea of the reliability of this vendor.

Thanks again, and I apologize if this has been all covered before but my search did not turn it up if so.
Checker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 16:14   #58
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
My radio wouldn't allow the update unless it was in 24hr mode.
FWIW, mine did fine on the first try in 12 hour mode . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 16:15   #59
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker39 View Post
Thanks, LokiWolf for posting this information. I have pressed my dealer without success for any available firmware upgrades to improve the performance of my RNS 510 [2013 Passat SEL TDI purchased May 2013].

From this thread and searching for related information, it looks to me like my dealer will not be able to upgrade my firmware from 3696 to 4366, even if I provide the service manager with the version number. Is this correct? If so, am I relegated to purchasing a DVD for the upgrade from a third-party supplier? In previous threads I've seen mention of someone seloing a DVD for $185. What's the best source for the software? I located someone selling it for $31 here, http://www.qmstore.com/VW-RNS-510-20...e/p223907.html, but I have no idea of the reliability of this vendor.

Thanks again, and I apologize if this has been all covered before but my search did not turn it up if so.
No, you get it here for $0 . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 16:29   #60
ChrisB009

Looking for this update...can someone message me a link where I can dwload?

Thanks,

Chris