www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old November 27th, 2013, 13:19   #46
South Coast Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT View Post
I just got a quote from one dealer I frequent. $857.00 for the 40k+Dsg service.

He mentioned how to get a 15% discount but ugh hoping I can still find it cheaper than that at another dealer.

I have another month or so.
Some of the service you can easily do yourself; chaning cabin and engine air filter. Check local dealer websites for service coupons. I found one for 15% off any service and had that dealer service my DSG transmission. Clossest guro to me is 2 hours away, so not practical for me.
South Coast Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 17:19   #47
r11
Veteran Member

OK, did mine using the warm and dry weather we had today here in nj.

The plastic engine cover is friction fit, lifts right up, no tools required.

2012 takes 4.3L of VW-507 spec oil .

Use plenty of paper towels to mask and protect against the spills during the service.

I use plastic Rhino ramps for a number of years and a whole range of different cars, highly recommended.

To my surprise, oil filter came out very easily. The service crew at the dealer had already moved the wiring harness out of the way during the previous changes. All I had to do was tilt the filter a bit to the right and it came right out.

When doing visual inspection of the replacement filter it might look slightly different from the old one, there is a reason for it - paper on the bottom of the filter gets pushed in around the inner hole when it is inserted into the housing.

The bottom pan had 3 rear screws missing... Another reason to service your car yourself. What size are these ? I now need to acquire the replacements.

When putting new filter in, I placed the paper element into the housing first and then installed the top part. Don't forget to replace all 3 o rings. Lubricate all of them generously with fresh oil, especially the big one.

Fuel filter was a piece of cake. I removed the old one, SLOWLY, making sure I let most of the fuel drip back into the housing.

Then I SLOWLY sunk the new filter in. She started with may be 4 second hesitation. I do have a vcds, but didn't have to use it to prime the filter.

Did the air filters too, real easy stuff.

Yet to pour the DEF in, will do it tomorrow. Got "Peak DEF" at local auto parts store, 12 bux for what seems to be 2 gallons. I guess these are all the same.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:30   #48
vw_norm
Gone, but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
The bottom pan had 3 rear screws missing... Another reason to service your car yourself. What size are these ? I now need to acquire the replacements.
from partsbase.org: N 90735604 hexagon socket head bolt with. hexagon socket head bolt with; shoulder; M7X28

When I dropped my oil pan to install the oil sensor, I was surprised by the number of 'barely' torqued bolts I came across. When yours came out, they were probably still on the splash shield, which you dealer dumped on the prior service. Always best to do your own servicing.
Old December 29th, 2013, 15:32   #49
Robsride2

My dealer charges 302.27 for the 40K on the 6MT. They gave me the pricing when I had the 30K service done.
Robsride2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:54   #50
lojeff10

Amazing how different from one dealer/area to another.
lojeff10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:46   #51
Herkguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: @75-80mph w90/10 hwy/city. warm wx-45, cold wx 39

Stonecrab, any chance you could post a copy of the receipt for the 40k service with DSG? My dealer wants 856 to do it but said they would match any other vw dealer so I would like to bring a copy in to show them.
Thanks Eric
Herkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 18:40   #52
StoneCrab
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkguy View Post
Stonecrab, any chance you could post a copy of the receipt for the 40k service with DSG? My dealer wants 856 to do it but said they would match any other vw dealer so I would like to bring a copy in to show them.
Thanks Eric
I'd be happy to but don't want to post personal info. And I bet they wouldn't accept a partial or redacted copy. I did have a 15% off coupon which they applied to the whole service too. I have been very happy with my dealer's service department. I think the DSG service is too expensive but that isn't the dealer's fault. PM me for more info...
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:14   #53
mikeymike214
Veteran Member

ok im confused... im still under the 3 year maintenance warranty. from reading on this thread it seems that the dsg service is out of your own pocket? why isnt the dsg part of the warranty?
mikeymike214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:30   #54
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike214 View Post
ok im confused... im still under the 3 year maintenance warranty. from reading on this thread it seems that the dsg service is out of your own pocket? why isnt the dsg part of the warranty?
Because the first DSG service (at 40k) is after the 'free' maintenance ends (36k up to '13, 24k for a '14).
Old January 23rd, 2014, 16:35   #55
Bobmws
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
Because the first DSG service (at 40k) is after the 'free' maintenance ends (36k up to '13, 24k for a '14).
Had my 20k today, my dealer is good. I've told them going into the 10K that I would check everything before signing the invoice copy. Haven't seen an errant oil, fuel or Adblue drip, and all levels are perfect. I asked about the 40k/DSG service and was told ~$500! I can live with that.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:27   #56
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

$500, and you are okay with that!? You can buy the parts for about $100 and pay yourself $400 for the DIY!
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:30   #57
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsride2 View Post
My dealer charges 302.27 for the 40K on the 6MT. They gave me the pricing when I had the 30K service done.
I find the concept of "40k" service amazing - last time I got whacked for about $500 and, when I asked what was done, they didn't' even replace all the filters.

You can do all the filter and the oil yourself for under $125, or pay a local shop a VERY generous $100 to do it for you and still save a lot of cash.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:04   #58
Bobmws
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Had my 20k today, my dealer is good. I've told them going into the 10K that I would check everything before signing the invoice copy. Haven't seen an errant oil, fuel or Adblue drip, and all levels are perfect. I asked about the 40k/DSG service and was told ~$500! I can live with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
$500, and you are okay with that!? You can buy the parts for about $100 and pay yourself $400 for the DIY!

Yes, I am, hone up on your reading skills.
I have faith in people I deal with face to face, not so much some one who solicits me on the internet.
FWIW, I do have a small business with a website, but I don't make a practice of prostituting myself by jumping into a thread and criticizing someone's choices.
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:38   #59
Rico567
Veteran Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Yes, I am, hone up on your reading skills.
I have faith in people I deal with face to face, not so much some one who solicits me on the internet.
FWIW, I do have a small business with a website, but I don't make a practice of prostituting myself by jumping into a thread and criticizing someone's choices.
You, sir, are my new idol.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:32   #60
Rico567
Veteran Member

It is no doubt time consuming, but I believe it's the way to go when this "free service" runs out. I've been having a hard time rationalizing the purchase of VCDS for personal use, but since we've got a DSG, well, the first time I service it the VCDS will basically be paid for.....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote