www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 12th, 2013, 10:13   #61
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

On the drivers door B pillar down low. There is a label there.
Old February 12th, 2013, 21:52   #62
TI_Master

I got a chance to look at the paperwork on my dad's car. It wasn't exactly full of details, but what it basically said was that they inspected it, found the intercooler full of oil. On further inspection, they determined that the turbo was "seized".

Paperwork indicates that they replaced the turbocharger.

listed part that seemed relevant -

03L-253-056-QX "EXMANTURBO"

I hadn't seen the answer to the build date question before I saw his paperwork, but I should be able to get the build date in the next day or two if it is not the same as the "production date" and will PM it to the maintainer and edit my previous post if I am able to. According to the paperwork, the "production date" was 9/2012, so it is possible that that is the same as the build date. Will update the thread if we encounter further turbo issues with the new one.

Last edited by TI_Master; February 12th, 2013 at 21:56.
TI_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 18:02   #63
joetdi
Veteran Member

Most all of the cars are simply losing power quickly and more often than not the shaft snaps on the exhaust side and the impeller just lies there. If you race the engine with the hood open you can hear impeller rattle around. They are on back order, however I have not found out if the new one is of the same batch as the one already on the car. If it is then it could happen again. If I get some time I will look at the one I just did, as I have done several the past fews weeks. Finding out why is their problem, not mine. This is just a few of the issues going on right now. Most are not making to the public.

Last edited by joetdi; February 13th, 2013 at 19:56.
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 20:02   #64
joetdi
Veteran Member

I need to learn to shut up sometimes, but after dealing with these cars none stop for a little over 34 years I see nothing has changed. The turbo is a bigger issue than is known here that's all.
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:44   #65
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetdi View Post
The turbo is a bigger issue than is known here that's all.
Actually people here aren't blowing off reports of turbo failures like they were a few weeks ago, so that's a start. I think this thread shows that there is an issue with turbo failure on these cars. The fact that there are more than just a couple (12 documented in this thread alone, with at least 5 others that haven't provided data) indicate to me that VW has an issue.

Please contribute any info you are willing to. So far, there are a lot of variables out there, but failures at relatively low miles and cold weather seem to be factors. Once again, it is winter, so that the weather may NOT be a factor.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:51   #66
Rockwell
Veteran Member

I am at about 18,000 miles, I can hear the turbo whistle now, I never could before about 500 miles ago. It doesnt sound bad, but its odd I can hear it now
1996 B4 Passat
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:59   #67
passatv6af
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B7 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I am at about 18,000 miles, I can hear the turbo whistle now, I never could before about 500 miles ago. It doesnt sound bad, but its odd I can hear it now
While your driving or at idle?
passatv6af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:47   #68
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Surely there are more failures out there than what is being reported here - but you're right, I don't consider it to be an epidemic yet. Sure there is some sort of problem that VW is working on, but it's far less of a problem than CBEA/CJAA intercooler icing or some of their other afflictions so far.

The data collection is great - looking forward to learning more about the cause(s).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:26   #69
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by passatv6af View Post
While your driving or at idle?
Whistle while driving, sounds like what my ALH sounded like, not loud but noticible. If I rev it in park I can hear it a bit. I can hear it both inside and outside the car. I liked the noise with my ALH and was a little disappointed when the Passat didnt have it...until a week ago. I am coming up on an oil change in 2 weeks or so, I will mention to dealer.
1996 B4 Passat
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:00   #70
paulk124

Quote:
That's how our turbo failure started out. A few days before failure, my wife reported that she started hearing a high-pitched whistle, like the sound of rubbing your finger on the rim of a wine glass. I couldn't hear it or just thought it was normal turbo whistle. Hopefully yours isn't on its way to failure.
1992 Honda Civic VX 1.5L I4 5M, 46.6 MPG over 131202 miles (sold)
paulk124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 17:56   #71
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk124 View Post
That's how our turbo failure started out. A few days before failure, my wife reported that she started hearing a high-pitched whistle, like the sound of rubbing your finger on the rim of a wine glass. I couldn't hear it or just thought it was normal turbo whistle. Hopefully yours isn't on its way to failure.
Winner!
I was driving home an hour after you posted this and I lost power on the highway. My glow plug light started flashing, called dealer and they said drop it off in the morning. Getting towed tonight, it's undriveable.
1996 B4 Passat
Old February 14th, 2013, 18:52   #72
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Winner!
I was driving home an hour after you posted this and I lost power on the highway. My glow plug light started flashing, called dealer and they said drop it off in the morning. Getting towed tonight, it's undriveable.
Sorry my friend, can you please add all the info requested in the OP, including what state you live in.

Thx

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 18:56   #73
Rockwell
Veteran Member

I'll do that. I'm in New Hampshire
1996 B4 Passat
Old February 14th, 2013, 20:35   #74
HammerTDI

Fuel Economy: 42.1

I am sorry Rockwell I hope your wait isn't as long as some of the others on here for a replacement. I am currently on Day 8 and my dealer has no clue when the part will be in.

To make it worse I backed the loaner car right into my wife's Jetta today. Now I have 3 VWs that need work! This ain't my month!
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:44   #75
darrelld
Veteran Member

I am not seeing any turbo failures in the NHTSA database of complaints. Shouldn't that be the second place you visit after the dealership?