www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 9th, 2013, 15:33   #46
Mikerad56

To keep psd1's data collection up to date, my vehicle was built 9/2012. The dealer didn't find anything out of the ordinary that would lead to a turbo failure. Got my Passat back yesterday and does it feel ever so good to be shifting gears with my TDI again.

Overall my car was at the dealer for 18 days.

The only common denominator I'm seeing so far is cold temperatures. Maybe during extreme cold temps we should let our TDI's warm up for a few minutes ensuring good oil flow to the turbo.

Last edited by Mikerad56; February 9th, 2013 at 15:36.
Mikerad56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 16:45   #47
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT View Post
While on this subject does the turbo fall into the drivetrain warranty? I forget what it was 5yrs 60k miles? Does that sound right.
That's a real good question, guess I better go get my manual.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 17:13   #48
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
While on this subject does the turbo fall into the drivetrain warranty? I forget what it was 5yrs 60k miles? Does that sound right.
Powertrain Limited Warranty

Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head and all internal parts, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil pump, water pump. manifolds, all related seals and gaskets.

No turbo.

Old February 9th, 2013, 17:16   #49
HammerTDI

Fuel Economy: 42.1

I emailed VWoA yesterday and referenced all of the failures in cold climates and specifically in OH. I asked them to clarify the warranty coverage for the Turbo. I referenced this page.
Old February 9th, 2013, 19:31   #50
ChadS99SVT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerTDI View Post
I emailed VWoA yesterday and referenced all of the failures in cold climates and specifically in OH. I asked them to clarify the warranty coverage for the Turbo. I referenced this page.
The way it was described to me was any parts that touch oil.....wouldn't that include the turbo?
Old February 9th, 2013, 19:44   #51
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
The way it was described to me was any parts that touch oil.....wouldn't that include the turbo?
What I posted earlier was straight from the manual. It doesn't state turbo specifically so I would guess that it isn't covered.

Old February 9th, 2013, 19:49   #52
HammerTDI

Yes, from what I understand the Turbo shaft rotates on a film of engine oil instead of bearings. I have seen somethings on the internet that indicates that contaminated oil could cause premature failure. Since this is a lubricated part, I would consider it to be a power train item but I don't know how VW will view it. I will keep everyone updated on their response.
Old February 9th, 2013, 21:35   #53
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

The copper (brass?) "bearing" is lubricated by a film of oil. It is not ball bearings, but it is still a bearing.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; February 11th, 2013 at 13:15.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:54   #54
HammerTDI

Received an email back from VWoA this morning. They assigned a regional case manager to my case. They also confirmed that the Turbocharger is a power train component and covered under the 5/60 warranty.

The RCM is supposed to follow up with me tomorrow.
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:59   #55
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Thumbs up

Quote:
Received an email back from VWoA this morning. They assigned a regional case manager to my case. They also confirmed that the Turbocharger is a power train component and covered under the 5/60 warranty.
The RCM is supposed to follow up with me tomorrow.
Thanks for confirming that the turbocharger is part of the 5/60K warranty. If you got this in writing from VWoA, please post a copy of it in case anyone runs into issues in the future.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 17:06   #56
HammerTDI

Volkswagen Customer CARE Reference XXXXXXXXX

VWoA Customer CARE <VWCustomerCARE@vw.com>
12:36 PM (7 hours ago)

to me
Reference #XXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. Hammer,

Iím sorry to learn of the turbocharger repair needed to your Passat, especially so early in your ownership.

I checked our system for any open recall campaigns relating to the turbocharger and found none applicable to your Passat. Should a future campaign be issued for your car, you will be notified by correspondence.

The turbocharger in your Passat is covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the in-service date of September 27, 2012, for manufacturer shortcomings.

Because your situation is important to us, I have escalated your case to a Regional Case Manager (RCM) for handling.

The RCM will contact the Service Manager to find out more about the ordered part and to make them aware of your satisfaction with the service they have provided. The RCM will follow up with you on February 12th with updates.

We appreciate your patience as we look into this further. If you have any questions in the meantime, or if you would prefer follow up by email, please feel free to email back.

You can also check on the progress of your case by chatting with us on www.vw.com. Please use the reference number XXXXXXXX to make it easier to locate your case.

Sincerely,

Courtney F.
Customer CARE Advocate
Old February 11th, 2013, 17:08   #57
HammerTDI

That is the email i got back from VW today. I changed the reference number and my name.
Old February 11th, 2013, 17:31   #58
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is the email i got back from VW today. I changed the reference number and my name.
Thanks for that info, it should ease some peoples minds.

Old February 11th, 2013, 17:38   #59
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Except they have been known to be wrong and/or give contradicting info from one Customer Care Advocate to the next. Not that they aren't correct this time, but I wouldn't rely on just this to save you. The official warranty document is the last word.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:12   #60
TI_Master

My dad got his car back yesterday, how can I locate the build date of the car? I want to check that when I go over there today or tomorrow. Also, I will get the paperwork from him for what they did and report back if I can decipher any of what they actually put on there.
TI_Master is offline   Reply With Quote