www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 15th, 2017, 15:39   #1051
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

Default Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob u View Post
Tires?
Hankook are shot, time to replace them.
I am trying to decide between Michelin Premiers A/S or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
Looking for a smoother and quieter ride but maintain my MPG.
What do you all think?

I'm at 119,500 miles. New, mine came with Conti's. Over the next 70k miles I replaced them one at a time do to various side wall blow outs /screws. When it was time to do a complete replacement I did my own research and ended up with a set of Nokian EnTyers. At 700 AA Ratings plus a Low-Roll Resistant Tire I risked the biscuit and just loved them. The mpg are slightly better than the Conti's. I rotate them every 9k-10k miles- same as my oil change. I caught a nail in one and replaced it with Nokian's latest iteration the EnTyer 2.0- Also, I purchased these on the internet through eBay. New the Nokians ran about $70 ea. With no Tax. Shipping was included. The new 2.0 cost me $114 out the door at a retailer for the one replacement.

The Nokians are so much more quiet than the Conti's. They are superb in both wet & dry conditions. Good in Nee England Snow too. Their side wall isn't as rigid as the Contis thus the handling is only off a small bit. Subsequently-

I put a set of 2.0's on my son's Audi Avant and wife's Subaru. Honestly, I needed to get the biggest bang for the buck and the Nokians work for me

2012 B7 TDI 6SpM
ZootsAlures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:41   #1052
Bob u

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootsAlures View Post
I'm at 119,500 miles. New, mine came with Conti's. Over the next 70k miles I replaced them one at a time do to various side wall blow outs /screws. When it was time to do a complete replacement I did my own research and ended up with a set of Nokian EnTyers. At 700 AA Ratings plus a Low-Roll Resistant Tire I risked the biscuit and just loved them. The mpg are slightly better than the Conti's. I rotate them every 9k-10k miles- same as my oil change. I caught a nail in one and replaced it with Nokian's latest iteration the EnTyer 2.0- Also, I purchased these on the internet through eBay. New the Nokians ran about $70 ea. With no Tax. Shipping was included. The new 2.0 cost me $114 out the door at a retailer for the one replacement.

The Nokians are so much more quiet than the Conti's. They are superb in both wet & dry conditions. Good in Nee England Snow too. Their side wall isn't as rigid as the Contis thus the handling is only off a small bit. Subsequently-

I put a set of 2.0's on my son's Audi Avant and wife's Subaru. Honestly, I needed to get the biggest bang for the buck and the Nokians work for me

2012 B7 TDI 6SpM
Thanks
Old June 20th, 2017, 19:24   #1053
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter
Default Block heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkforbes87 View Post
Let me start by saying this is not "real world mpg", but it is possible on a bone stock 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M.

I filled up at a Sinclair in Idaho Falls, ID - with winter blended diesel of all things. This trip included two overnight stops in Layton, UT and St. George, UT, and two stops at job sites lasting throughout a normal workday, so a total of four stops long enough to allow the engine to cool completely. As most of you probably know, driving non-stop through an entire tank would net better results as fuel efficiency is much greater at operating temperature than any other time. My route was I-15 south through Salt Lake City and Vegas, then Highway 58 to Bakersfield, CA and eventually Wasco, CA - which means this tank was, overall, >4000' downhill. I was also driving with cruise at 60mph except for a few short stints up to 70-75mph where 60mph would have been unsafe because traffic was moving so much faster.

I usually drive at much more reasonable speeds, but knew from past experience that this was going to be a perfect opportunity to squeeze 1000 miles out of a tank.

Edit: Just for reference, my MFI calculated MPG was 60.0 for this tank. That margin of optimistic error is perfectly in line with what I see out of this car.

The vw manual says something like 25 or 30 km to warm up on a really cold day. I noticed when I got the car that on a really snapping cold day it would take 20+ km to be at 90 c coolant temp. When I started plugging it in that would drop to say 6km on that same cold day .... I get heat right away and better mileage and less engine wear. It is worth it to plug that car in below 0c. I have it on a timer that comes on 4 hrs befor I drive it.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 16:59   #1054
jason_
Veteran Member

I totally believe that. It was a cool morning a while ago, drove the '15 to work that morning. 41*F. At the time it was its 2nd tank if fuel, and 482 miles on the odometer...

Started engine. After 30 seconds I set heat to max, blower on highest setting, recirculation off, and I began driving. Light footed 55mph country roads, taking my sweet time.

21 miles later the dash needle slowly creeped its way and finally settled on 200, where it usually sits.

Must be good on fuel, need to burn fuel to make heat....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 15:27   #1055
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

I'm at 121k miles and the engine just purrs. I will admit that I've been using AMSOIL Diesel Treatment. About 4-5oz per tank fuel. With my usual highway/local mileage ratio about 80/20 split I'm easily averaging 44 mpg (Spring-Fall). My last round trip to the mid west was about 1,700 miles. My avg was 51.5 mpg while averaging 70 mph on a big portion. My highest mpg avg was 56mpg crushing at 55mph on a four lane country back road
Old July 31st, 2017, 17:31   #1056
pkforbes87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob u View Post
Tires?
Hankook are shot, time to replace them.
I am trying to decide between Michelin Premiers A/S or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
Looking for a smoother and quieter ride but maintain my MPG.
What do you all think?
I got 116,399 miles out of these Michelin Defenders on my 2013 Passat SE 6M. Could have been more, but alignment got knocked out of whack and I didn't realize it until I saw the tire wear.

Lifetime average of 46.42mpg with this car. (204,505 miles total currently)

I'm not sure if other tires offer considerably better fuel economy, but tires lasting >100k may save even more in the long run than 1 or 2 mpg.

As for comparison to the factory Hankooks, I'm not sure. They were noisy and didn't inspire confidence in the rain so I got rid of them ASAP.

Last edited by pkforbes87; July 31st, 2017 at 17:33.
pkforbes87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:41   #1057
pedorro
Veteran Member

Quote:
I got 116,399 miles out of these Michelin Defenders on my 2013 Passat SE 6M. Could have been more, but alignment got knocked out of whack and I didn't realize it until I saw the tire wear.
Impressive! That's how my original Hankooks look now at 60K. I've been leaning toward the Defenders as replacements and your post sealed the deal for me!
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:46   #1058
pedorro
Veteran Member

Thumbs up 35,500 Check-In

My running average has ticked up to 52.9 MPG after 35,500 miles of ownership (60,000 on vehicle).

Having a heck of a time trying to reach 53 MPG....
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:30   #1059
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorro View Post
My running average has ticked up to 52.9 MPG after 35,500 miles of ownership (60,000 on vehicle).

Having a heck of a time trying to reach 53 MPG....

I get that on the highway & cruise control set. So, I called my local VW Service to get an update on the Emissions Fix. Next week, Aug 14th is when they will start reworking the older B7's line my '12. I have no realtime feedback of the overall effect in performance & mpg' but even at 10 less in economy, I'll live with. The $5,100 (paid out 2/3 & 1/3 increments) is ok too.
Old September 13th, 2017, 04:13   #1060
radtech83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootsAlures View Post
I get that on the highway & cruise control set. So, I called my local VW Service to get an update on the Emissions Fix. Next week, Aug 14th is when they will start reworking the older B7's line my '12. I have no realtime feedback of the overall effect in performance & mpg' but even at 10 less in economy, I'll live with. The $5,100 (paid out 2/3 & 1/3 increments) is ok too.
Is that the mechanical upgrade phase 2 or the phase 1 software update?

radtech83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 14:41   #1061
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD

I did a little searching, but I still haven't found the answer to this, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.....

I know all the automatics have gotten approved fixes. Have the manuals been covered under that yet?......
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:21   #1062
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

Default Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

No fix yet for the 6Sp Manual! I three in the towel and decided to sell mine back before I lose out on the opportunity. My turn in date is in 1 & 1/2 weeks so I’ve garaged mine. I’ve narrowed down its replacement to either a : MB E250 BlueTec 4MATIC, BMW 535d w/X-Dive, or X5d. When I receive the funds I’ll negotiate the best deal I can. Owning a turbo diesel is like an opioid addiction. I can’t get enough-
Old October 15th, 2017, 07:01   #1063
jason_
Veteran Member

Wow. I wouldn't of thought there's a difference.

Any links or papers explaining the difference of the auto to manuals regarding the fix?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 14:34   #1064
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:

Lifetime average of 46.42mpg with this car. (204,505 miles total currently)

I'm not sure if other tires offer considerably better fuel economy, but tires lasting >100k may save even more in the long run than 1 or 2 mpg.

As for comparison to the factory Hankooks, I'm not sure. They were noisy and didn't inspire confidence in the rain so I got rid of them ASAP.

Impressive!

psd1 is online now   Reply With Quote