www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 13th, 2017, 05:16   #1
roni024
Veteran Member

Default Driver's door and fuel lock actuators

I just noticed a problem with my 13 Passat. After I start driving I hear a click and the door lock indicator is no longer lit and the driver's door (unsure of others) is unlocked. Also, when I use the fob to lock the doors the driver's will sometimes not lock. I suspect the driver's door lock actuator to be faulty and am sourcing a replacement. However, in checking all the other doors while the car is "locked" I noticed the fuel flap does not lock.
I saw a post from OilHammer that said (speaking of the fuel lock - shortened for pertinence):
"The little motor in there fails. It is pretty common now. Same piece the Tiguan uses.
The little motor just allows the pop out spring release to work or not, and it only allows it to work if the driver's door is unlocked. You can take it apart and disable it (so it always works regardless of the lock status of the driver's door)."
My question is, does the fuel lock rely so heavily upon the driver's door lock that having a faulty driver's lock actuator alone can cause locking issues with the fuel flap, or do you suspect I have two separate issues?
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:49   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

It probably failed unlocked long time ago and you are now just noticing. Just be glad it didn't fail locked with you standing at the pump.

Useless electronic garbage just waiting to break, disconnect the connector to the motor, its behind the carpet inside the trunk and be glad you'll never have to worry about it failing locked at 1am and you are running on fumes.

with Diesel being $2.05 at my local station this morning, who's siphoning fuel these days? Locking fuel door is just as useless as security lug bolts <end old man rant (at 33 and bald can I consider myself and old man)>

As for the door locks, its a known issue and you can open up the mechanism and clean the carbon off the cheap motor, or give VW parts $130 for a whole new mechanism. Therse a nice thread in the MKV folder, not sure if it's the same exact part but if your time is free, its a cheap fix.

Last edited by 740GLE; July 13th, 2017 at 08:52.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 10:21   #3
roni024
Veteran Member

I think I'm with you on leaving the fuel flap lock inoperable. The OilHammer quote I truncated actually went on to say the fuel lock actuator is cycled every time you lock and unlock the doors and tends to wear the part out quickly. Like you said, it would suck to have it freeze in the locked position when it matters.

From what I've read on these forums, I think the MkV and MkVI/NMS door lock actuators are different in the sense that the newer ones cannot be disassembled easily. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong so I can save $100 or so.
Old July 13th, 2017, 11:19   #4
VernK
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
…with Diesel being $2.05 at my local station this morning, who's siphoning fuel these days?
The same people that were siphoning it at 35˘.

Yours
Vern
VernK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 11:33   #5
tadawson
Veteran Member

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about some mental midget dumping something in these days . . .
tadawson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 11:50   #6
roni024
Veteran Member

Good point!
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:16   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Frankly, I'd be more concerned about some mental midget dumping something in these days . . .
Then its time to reassess where you socialize, live, work.

But granted, no one can truly escape those that have defied Drawin.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:17   #8
tadawson
Veteran Member

Planet earth? Stupid appears to have no boundaries these days . . .

We live in a very nice neighborhood, but that didn't stop some jerk from spray painting a car in the drive 12 years or so ago, or the tagging on my fence 2 years ago. Scum often travels to 'play' . . . I've also lived in very rural towns (pop 5k) and still not immune. Now, with all the nuts and a TDI, seems like a bit of a target to the particularly deranged . . .

Last edited by tadawson; July 13th, 2017 at 22:04.
tadawson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 21:26   #9
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

I have a few friends who got there TDI keyed- 1 of them drove his coal rolling Cummins while it was in the shop getting painted Lots of crazy aroud my work as well- its sad though as I can park my old civic anywhere, not the slightest ding over 10 years. park the TDI in the same crappy area once and boom, dented from a sidewalk fight after a thief was tackled beside my car.
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG

Last edited by jrm; July 13th, 2017 at 21:29.
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote