www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:46   #1
Ptplayers
Veteran Member

Default Small Radiator fan

I have noticed lately that when the car reaches 90 deg the small fan comes on and will remain on until i shut the car off .

The car is not over heating and runs normally and no lights are on dash .

Also does the normal regen when the big fan will also come on and shut off when cycle is complete .

Anyone else had this issue ?

Do not really want to spend money of the car as it will be gone soon .

Thank you
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:21   #2
c-wagen
Veteran Member

Not sure if is the small fan, but mine is doing something similar.

Car: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL (automatic)
Miles: around 77000
Oil changed 300 miles ago
Coolant replaced @61300 miles, one year ago (early may 2016).
Outside temp since happening: 80 to 85 Farenheit

I'm noticing that after I drive, even at easy highway speeds (65 MPH, flat), the fan will be on when stopping, and running after I shut the car off for a while. Temperature needle is at 190, no alarms are on, and no regeneration was going on (Low RPM idle). Refrigerant level is good.

I dont recall it running always before. Any thoughts? Or should I drive more, worry less?

Thanks!

PD: Ptplayers, might you change the title to something like: Small radiator fan always running? People might not identify what is the thread about with the title you used...

Last edited by c-wagen; May 23rd, 2017 at 10:25. Reason: Added comment
c-wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 14:51   #3
Ptplayers
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wagen View Post
Not sure if is the small fan, but mine is doing something similar.

Car: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL (automatic)
Miles: around 77000
Oil changed 300 miles ago
Coolant replaced @61300 miles, one year ago (early may 2016).
Outside temp since happening: 80 to 85 Farenheit

I'm noticing that after I drive, even at easy highway speeds (65 MPH, flat), the fan will be on when stopping, and running after I shut the car off for a while. Temperature needle is at 190, no alarms are on, and no regeneration was going on (Low RPM idle). Refrigerant level is good.

I dont recall it running always before. Any thoughts? Or should I drive more,

worry less?

Thanks!

PD: Ptplayers, might you change the title to something like: Small radiator fan always running? People might not identify what is the thread about with the title you used...

Thank you and it is the small fan , big one runs during regen
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:09   #4
c-wagen
Veteran Member

One observation on my case: I overfilled the coolant tank (my fault), even when the manual indicates to do not overfill. I removed liquid so the level is in between the marks (not so easy to see), and I feel it improved (I felt car fans start running when car is shut, less frequently while running). I'll keep looking at it and update. Is the level high in yours?
Old May 31st, 2017, 00:53   #5
Ozium

My small fan is also on all the time. I notice on scan gauge that the coolant temp is around 95c and higher. Having 200 000km on the car and doing 2 heater cores so far I'm starting to wonder if the rad might be plugged as well.
Ozium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 00:48   #6
Ozium

Default Small fan big fan problem

Fixed the small fan staying on all the time. Found one of the brushes on the big fan was stuck in and not making contact with the stator. Easy to do,remove the upper right screw for the fan shroud, take the skid plate off, disconnect the power, remove the remaining three screws, drop the fans and shroud down and out, unclip the wiring harness remove the 3 10mm nuts, use a dermal to cut the small lock tabs and free up the brush/new spring.

Something like this:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/ra...vw-jetta-golf/
Ozium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:17   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

Remember when ever the AC is on, the fan will move air through the condenser, not sure if its the small one or the big one.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote