www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 10th, 2017, 09:10   #16
DonC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

Two weeks after the fix on my 2013 TDI SEL. No problems, in fact, trans. shifts smoother than before the fix. Perhaps a slight mpg decrease but won't know until a longer trip.
DonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:17   #17
johnnyrotten

Fuel Economy: 40.2 OVERALL AVERAGE
Cool

I own a '14 Passat SEL with the CKRA engine in it and Had the fix done on June 26th. Received the check from VW for the full amount in one lump sum 29th by Fedex overnight!
Confused me a little as VW said it was a 2 part fix and I would get a percentage on the software update and the rest when the 2nd part of the fix happened.
Haven't really noticed any difference at all. 50k miles and lifetime average is 40.7MPG and trip mileage is around 42.5mpg. Been getting around 660miles per tank. Sometimes more sometimes less. And I usually fill up with 50 miles left.
The one thing that did happen was on our last road trip To Lake Havasu from Phoenix, on the way home we decided to take a cruise up to Oatman and then follow Rt. 66 for a ways. Everything good car always ran at 195 degrees straight up constantly, never varied up or down. When we got to Hackberry I noticed the CKE light came on and the water temp rose to the second line above 195 which I estimate to be around 225. Stopped and let her cool off tried to open coolant reservoir when she was hot(Stupid move)but was lucky and re sealed it before too much coolant escaped. When she cooled off she took 1.5 quarts water. The only thing I had. The rest of the ride home the temp rose to 225 and I shut A/C off until it cooled back to 195. Turned out there was a TSB on the heater core. Dealer replaced it at no charge.
Now I notice the temp rises to 234 according to my scan gauge and then cools back to 200.
Is this normal or is there something else involved here??
I'm ready to take her back to VW and have them do more diagnostics, but I would like to have some ammo when I do.
Any thoughts out there??
Sorry about the long story!
johnnyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 21:00   #18
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

After my heater core was replaced last fall, it took a few drive cycles (warmup, drive; shut down, cool off overnight) to get the coolant level stabilized. I too had to add water a couple of times to my reservoir bottle. It has long since stabilized.

Regarding the Emissions fix, I had mine done on the 6th of July and have a few hundred miles on it now since then.
I noticed no immediate changes on the way home from the dealership's service department. And over the past couple of weeks, I have determined it pretty much drives, sounds, accelerates, shifts and even seems to get the same fuel economy as before the update.

I'm glad I kept mine!

bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 08:51   #19
rmilchman

I've only used 1 tank since the fix, but it does look like the mileage has dropped by about 2 MPG.
rmilchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 18:15   #20
johnnyrotten

Cool Update

Ok so here is what's going on now. Dealership flushed coolant system and used chemicals to wash out inners. They replaced the heater core. Car drove fine for a day then it went right back to where it was. Took it back to the Dealership and asked them to check in to it some more. After having the car for a few days they decided to change the thermostat and said it wasn't opening completely. Test drove the car and said still had a heat issue. So today they told me they were changing the EGR cooler, hopefully this will take care of the issue. What's left??? Radiator and Water pump?? Will find out, in the meantime enjoying the new Passat they gave me as a loaner....paid for by warranty. So far all has been taken care of under warranty. They are ordering the parts and hopefully will have it done and back to me by Thursday as We are leaving on a Road Trip Friday Am. Would hate to put 1000 miles on their loaner car........(yea Right) Will update soon! Oh and according to Scan Gauge 190........... on the gauge is between 173 and 200. Car has been running 210 to 239. And just think all this happened after they did the "Fix" and extended the warranty!! Yea Baby!
Old August 14th, 2017, 10:21   #21
Flyboy777

Fuel Economy: 5.1 Litres/100 Km combined winter

I do have a genuine beef with the software fix when I do a rolling stop at a stop sign I have had the engine stumble and seem like it was going to stall or at least rpm bog when getting on the gas when not completely stopped. I think Something is wrong with fuel/dsg mapping. They may have rushed to push this fix out the door without full and adequate testing. I expect (hope)a software update will address this issue. One other member has mentioned he has the same problem.
Flyboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 17:28   #22
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy777 View Post
I do have a genuine beef with the software fix when I do a rolling stop at a stop sign I have had the engine stumble and seem like it was going to stall or at least rpm bog when getting on the gas when not completely stopped. I think Something is wrong with fuel/dsg mapping. They may have rushed to push this fix out the door without full and adequate testing. I expect (hope)a software update will address this issue. One other member has mentioned he has the same problem.
Not happening to me. Maybe there is something else wrong with your car.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 17:34   #23
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

I found out today that VW pushed out the fix for my 6SpM until at least October.
ZootsAlures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 13:20   #24
johnnyrotten

Cool Update #2

Got the car back after VW had it for 10 days. So far thermostat changed out, heater core changed out, Egr cooler changed out, they looked at the water pump said it was fine and then they changed out one of the radiators all covered under extended warranty after the fix was done. So far car runs dead on 190.....but we haven't taken it on a road trip yet.

Now for a new issue.....when I first start the car up after it sits all night the A/C is turned on max ........but the A/C doesn't blow cold until the car warms up to 190????? I'm wondering if there is a bad sensor or the cooling fans aren't running as they should be. I know in the 02 jetta if the fans weren't running the A/C wouldn't work!

Any Ideas or Suggestions??
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:42   #25
johnnyrotten

Default update number 3

So I took the Passat to the dealer yesterday for the A/C issue. They did their diagnostics and found some metallic contamination in the compressor which was not allowing the valve to open in the compressor until the pressure built up. . Just received a phone call that the passat is done...........they changed the compressor and some other parts, flushed out the system and now they say it's working good. Thank GOD I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car. They tell me there will be no charge to me for the repair. Will fill you in later on what they did and how the system is working. And there are only 52k on the odometer.