www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 6th, 2017, 06:23   #76
rustycat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
A year ago after trying Silverstar bulbs and paying big bucks for them I found H7 "OSRAM" 80 watt bulbs on eBay. I lucked out and a seller had a pack of 10 for $39.00 shipped to me.
Have a set of 4 going since a year ago July. None burned out yet and I have the voltage to the bulbs and tail lights maxed out by VCDS. Lots of light for night time use.

eBay link
Thanks, did a quick search and couldn't find any of those bulbs currently on Ebay.
I did find the following info on lights, and if anyone wants to comment on their experience with any of the bulb listed it would be appreciated:
http://bestheadlightbulbs.com/best-h...ht-bulbs-2017/
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:54   #77
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycat View Post
Thanks, did a quick search and couldn't find any of those bulbs currently on Ebay.
I did find the following info on lights, and if anyone wants to comment on their experience with any of the bulb listed it would be appreciated:
http://bestheadlightbulbs.com/best-h...ht-bulbs-2017/
Following my link comes up with TWENTY SEVEN (27 H7) bulbs ! Though a few are LED.

Jetta_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 10:14   #78
rustycat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
A year ago after trying Silverstar bulbs and paying big bucks for them I found H7 "OSRAM" 80 watt bulbs on eBay. I lucked out and a seller had a pack of 10 for $39.00 shipped to me.
Have a set of 4 going since a year ago July. None burned out yet and I have the voltage to the bulbs and tail lights maxed out by VCDS. Lots of light for night time use.

eBay link
Thanks for the info, don't know what the heck I was looking for. BTW, is this the same bulb and used 4 of the same?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osram-Super-...BYTysa&vxp=mtr
Old July 6th, 2017, 18:11   #79
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Using 80 watt bulbs with the factory wiring is a very bad idea. Even 65 watts is borderline imo.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:17   #80
thundershorts
Veteran Member

Rustycat, Osram night breakers laser are great, far superior to the sylvanias about 4300k very white. they are filled with pure xeon gas rather than a mix. I've been using night breakers for years. The lasers only come h4 and h7. cost about 32/pair and well worth it.
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:29   #81
thundershorts
Veteran Member

Raising voltage with night breakers probably isn't necessary or desirable as it may/will shorten bulb life. Its a challenge for manuf to build a brighter/better bulb within the 55w legal constraints. I think 60w is stll the legal limit for high beams.
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:49   #82
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Pick what you like in my link.
As I've said I've been using these bulbs since last July with the voltage upped to limit. Great night vision.

There was a discussion about this a year ago and someone pointed out the actual amperage drawn is very little more than the factory bulbs, maybe about 0.75 more amps so no wiring issue!

Regardless what someone does there are always "nay sayers"!

Old July 7th, 2017, 09:42   #83
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The difference between 55w and 80w bulbs is a little over 2 amps per bulb. That may sound trivial, but that wiring is a very small gauge size. I bet if you touched the wires (with 80w bulbs)after a long night drive they would be nice and toasty.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:55   #84
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

The 65w bulbs are no longer being manufactured, and there are a lot of cheap ripoffs out there. Buyer beware. Daniel Stern is trying to develop a source for quality 65w bulbs but doesn't have anything yet.

The gold standard for bulbs right now is the Philips X-Treme Vision, or the Osram equivalent. Noticeably brighter. Bear in mind that they are not only very expensive but actually have a SHORTER lifespan than other quality bulbs with less light output. They have to burn hotter to make more light for the same legal 55w.

I had no idea the voltage was adjustable. That's done with VAG-COM, I assume? (Or whatever Uwe calls it these days?)

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:48   #85
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Copied from the TUAREG forum website:

Do you want brighter headlights?
One of the complaints about T1/T2 headlights from some owners is how poor they are, notably the low beam [or dipped beam for other parts of the world]. I've said in the past that they are nigh-on dangerous on dark, wet roads which is why I have aftermarket HIDs.

Cruising the www tonight whilst thinking about putting some driving lights on the car, I found some threads on the use of 65 watt H7s and 65W/70W H4s which were interesting as I have cars that could use both. I see the H7s, for example, give 2,100 lumens versus the standard 1,400 [and, yes, I know they're for "off road use" only!]. For an extra 10 watts, that's a big increase if the wiring really will take it as suggested.

But following one of the links to see what the chat was about these bulbs I stumbled across the thread below wherein it appears that by using VCDS you can increase the voltage to the headlights to improve the light output which, if this is correct, makes me wonder just what voltage Touaregs draw as standard and whether low voltage, or even lower than factory setting voltage, is the cause of the complaints.

http://forums.tdiclu...ad.php?t=357812

Can anyone with VCDS and a T1/T2 have a look at this? I've lifted one post wherein the guy can increase the voltage on the rear lights too. Standard voltage appears to 12.6V and the suggestion is to sacrifice some bulb life and go for 13.6V rather than the 13.0V below.

QUOTE:

Since folks have been asking me the VCDS path to do the 13 volts, here you go:

09- Central Elect.
Long Coding Helper
Byte 19
Bit 0-3 (Pull Down Choice 08 for 13.0 volts)

While there, suggest:
Byte 19
Bit 4-7 (Pull Down Choice 80 for tail lights 13.0 volts)

Edit JP: I have my voltage set to NO bulb saver instead of 13 volts and have been using my Osram bulbs for a year now. Of course the high beams get much less use than the low beams.

Old July 9th, 2017, 11:53   #86
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

I ran Philips X-Treme Vision in my other rigs and had poor bulb life- under a year- my home is located at the end of a long gravel road so I figured the vibration is what did them in so early. Great bulb light though
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 12:12   #87
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
I ran Philips X-Treme Vision in my other rigs and had poor bulb life- under a year- my home is located at the end of a long gravel road so I figured the vibration is what did them in so early. Great bulb light though
All other things being equal a brighter bulb will have a shorter life. The Philips/Osram bulbs are very high quality, which helps get as much life out of them as possible, but the reason they're brighter is that the filaments are thinner. Vibration doesn't help, but I think you can safely assume that if you get a year out of a set you're doing well.

I run cheap low beams so they'll lost longer, and expensive high beams because that's when I really need the extra light.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 18:42   #88
rustycat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mickey View Post
All other things being equal a brighter bulb will have a shorter life. The Philips/Osram bulbs are very high quality, which helps get as much life out of them as possible, but the reason they're brighter is that the filaments are thinner. Vibration doesn't help, but I think you can safely assume that if you get a year out of a set you're doing well.
I run cheap low beams so they'll lost longer, and expensive high beams because that's when I really need the extra light.
-mickey
I suspect my eyes are in worst shape than yours, as I really need better visibility on the low beams when I'm facing coming traffic, rainy roads and cataracts that cause some glare issues.