www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 13:37   #1
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat
Default Extended warranty question

Everything I've read says that the VW extended warranty on "buybacks" applies only to emissions-related components.

My salesman absolutely insists that I have a 5 year, 60,000 miles BUMPER-TO-BUMPER "new car" warranty from VW, despite the vehicle being a previously titled buy-back. I pointed out what VW said in their paperwork, but he still disagrees.

What is the truth? It's an important point. If the bumper-to-bumper warranty started when the car was initially titled then it's 2 to 3 years old already. That's a "used car" by any standard. If it actually has a "new car warranty" then the 2500 miles that were on the clock don't bother me, especially considering it's a much better warranty than a new VW gasser.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 13:49   #2
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Salesmen get to say anything they want (i am one...). An actual document is all that matters. No you are right and he is wrong.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 15:47   #3
New Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Tdi View Post
Salesmen get to say anything they want (i am one...). An actual document is all that matters. No you are right and he is wrong.
If that is the case I may be talking to a lawyer. The salesman lied right off the bat when he told me the car had 2500 miles because "It was one of our demos." No, it was originally purchased in California. It was obviously a buy-back.

I love the car. But I feel like stirring up trouble. I'm willing to settle for $$$.

Next issue: 3 weeks later they still haven't paid off my Ford trade-in, and today Ford took a $630 payment out of my account. I'm assured that the VW dealer will be sending me a check. That will come directly out of their profits. Very sloppy business practices.

-mickey
Old June 23rd, 2017, 16:46   #4
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mickey View Post
Everything I've read says that the VW extended warranty on "buybacks" applies only to emissions-related components.

My salesman absolutely insists that I have a 5 year, 60,000 miles BUMPER-TO-BUMPER "new car" warranty from VW, despite the vehicle being a previously titled buy-back. I pointed out what VW said in their paperwork, but he still disagrees.

What is the truth? It's an important point. If the bumper-to-bumper warranty started when the car was initially titled then it's 2 to 3 years old already. That's a "used car" by any standard. If it actually has a "new car warranty" then the 2500 miles that were on the clock don't bother me, especially considering it's a much better warranty than a new VW gasser.

-mickey

I think there are a couple things in play. There is the warranty from the settlement that covers most of the engine and emissions, and there is likely also a CPO warranty as part of the resale, which may well be 'bumper to bumper' . . . Having not bought a CPO, I don't know the details there, but it is a major distiction between CPO and just used.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 18:09   #5
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mickey View Post
-mickey
If he wants to write "5-year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty" on your purchase agreement, great!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 18:48   #6
New Mickey

Whatever I do I'd better hurry. The way I drive my 60K will be up next week anyway.

-mickey
Old June 24th, 2017, 09:58   #7
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

In the grand scheme of things it is basically a new car, 2500 miles isnt going to do much for you and the important thing is the 120k mile warranty on the emissions components.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:10   #8
rustycat
Veteran Member

2015 TDI warranty on repaired cars is incredible. It covers the entire exhaust aftertreatment system including: “The Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators.”

Perhaps more crucially (because many TDI owners have issues with these parts), it also covers the entire fuel system, “including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators.”

On top of that, the warranty applies to the EGR system, the turbocharger, the On-Board Diagnostic system, and a lot more.

And it’s a long warranty, too. VW says it spans defines the the greater of two options: 1) Your car reaches 11 years of age and 162,000 miles or 2) Five years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date and mileage of the phase 1 fix.
And, the best part of the warranty is the stated policy that if an item isn't covered by the warranty and the customer feels it should be, then VW is obliged to agree with the customer and repair it at no cost to the customer.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 21:10   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

One of the main reasons I just bought my 2015.