www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 20th, 2017, 23:16   #16
N4TECguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Gen3 TSI was designed from the get go to run on 87 octane, unless you chip it and track it you're wasting your money feeding it premium.
Volkswagen explicitly notes that the power figures advertised are achieved with premium fuel. That doesn't mean it won't run on 87, but it does mean it can run better on 91/93...

Last edited by N4TECguy; June 22nd, 2017 at 00:13.
N4TECguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:37   #17
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
ho Mickey!!!

You need to let me tune that one.

Evil beetle still going strong.
The Evil Beetle will never die.

I don't plan to soup this one up. I'm too old and tired. But for sure I'm going to want the DSG remapped. And whatever they do to it with Phase 2 I plan to undo.

I drove from Evanston to Tooele this evening and got 57.1 mpg. 65 to 80 mph all the way. (Granted, I also lost 2300 feet of elevation. But still....I refuse to give up a single MPG just to prevent people from choking to death on smog. MAN UP, I say. I grew up on smog, and look at me!)

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:43   #18
New Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
From Daily Drive:
"More good news: Volkswagen recommends regular-grade gas for all models equipped with the 1.8-liter engine."*
*Referring to the 1.8 TSI.
Most engines these days run fine on regular, but prefer premium. However, I don't think the increase in fuel economy comes close to making up for the price. I run whatever makes the engine happiest and don't worry about the cost. (I tend not to worry about what I can't control.)

The alcohol-free stuff I can buy locally is "mid-grade." I use it because I have a fundamental issue with burning FOOD in my car while people are starving to death. That's the ultimate Ugly American middle-finger if you ask me. "We're so well fed we just BURN the corn to drive to the post office. How are those grasshoppers tasting for you?"

-mickey
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:54   #19
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mickey View Post
The Evil Beetle will never die.
I don't plan to soup this one up. I'm too old and tired. But for sure I'm going to want the DSG remapped. And whatever they do to it with Phase 2 I plan to undo.
I drove from Evanston to Tooele this evening and got 57.1 mpg. 65 to 80 mph all the way. (Granted, I also lost 2300 feet of elevation. But still....I refuse to give up a single MPG just to prevent people from choking to death on smog. MAN UP, I say. I grew up on smog, and look at me!)
-mickey
LOL @ man-up to smog.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:35   #20
New Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
LOL @ man-up to smog.
True story: In 2005 when I went to Russia to start the Kid Adoption process we were driving into Moscow from Sheremetyevo airport and my eyes were watering from the air quality. It was actually painful to breathe. And it stunk. But I was struck by an odd sense of deja vu. Then it hit me: That's what MY town smelled like when I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s. The smell of CARS with no smog controls.

I'm no believer in "global warming" (believe me) but the NOx is real.

Nevertheless....do as I say, not as I do.

-mickey