www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 5th, 2017, 11:02   #526
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

With all the knowledge here about the Scangauge II can anyone here tell me how I can completely reset the SC II to factory? I have a continuing false reading as to how much fuel is required at the next fill up. It had been out by as much as 1000 gallons.
I have had it disconnected from the OBD II port for as long as 4 weeks and the error still comes back.

Also my way of mounting it is very simple. I had a piece of metal bent twice sort of a squared off "U" shape. Part of it slides in between the left air outlet and the dash and the flat part on top is where the SC II is mounted with "Gorilla Tape".

I have a picture how it was on my Jetta and its the same on the Passat. Hope the picture will attach. It does not but the link will take you.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...f0004r&cat=all

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; May 5th, 2017 at 11:06.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:11   #527
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
With all the knowledge here about the Scangauge II can anyone here tell me how I can completely reset the SC II to factory? I have a continuing false reading as to how much fuel is required at the next fill up. It had been out by as much as 1000 gallons.
I have had it disconnected from the OBD II port for as long as 4 weeks and the error still comes back.

Also my way of mounting it is very simple. I had a piece of metal bent twice sort of a squared off "U" shape. Part of it slides in between the left air outlet and the dash and the flat part on top is where the SC II is mounted with "Gorilla Tape".

I have a picture how it was on my Jetta and its the same on the Passat. Hope the picture will attach. It does not but the link will take you.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...f0004r&cat=all
There is a setting to restore it to factory defaults, but I don't know where it is in the menu.

For what it's worth, I've found that the fuel economy portions of the ScanGauge are never very reliable and can vary significantly depending on driving style, even when it is properly calibrated with numerous fill-ups.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 13:35   #528
Shawn67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post
My 13 diesel Passat had excellent engine braking, as does my diesel truck. This new car has none.
How is the MPG of the new car vs old.

New engine has more electrically driven (not engine driven) accessories vs the old. That is the difference in engine braking. Less parasitic losses to the accessories which translates to less engine braking.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 13:36   #529
Shawn67

Quote:
Is the individual sensor refresh rate determined by the ECU? I ask because I have my scangauge set to "fast", and while egt and DPF update nearly instantly, the pre cat sensor is very slow, and updates in roughly 5 second intervals. If I'm not explaining well enough, egt and DPF will update about once every second or half second and the numbers climb or drop quite smoothly, while pre cat sits at a number for about 5 seconds and then jumps to the next. So instead of 520, 525, 528, bla bla bla, it will be more like 520,............. 580.

Not a huge deal, but wondered if one of the programmed digits sets sensor refresh rate. My guess is no, based on how close the numerology is for egt vs pre cat but thought it was worth asking.
Yup, I see the same thing. It is likely just the sampling rate of the sensor/computer itself.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 14:06   #530
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
How is the MPG of the new car vs old.
New engine has more electrically driven (not engine driven) accessories vs the old. That is the difference in engine braking. Less parasitic losses to the accessories which translates to less engine braking.
Shawn
That may be part of it but I believe there is more to it than that and I suspect (after talking to Malone) that most of the difference is in the adjustable vanes of the turbo. They claim they can give the engine braking back with a tune.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:21   #531
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
That may be part of it but I believe there is more to it than that and I suspect (after talking to Malone) that most of the difference is in the adjustable vanes of the turbo. They claim they can give the engine braking back with a tune.
A tune can certainly add significantly more engine braking, if desired.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote